Auburn University's computers, ca. 1980s

  • Kyle Owen
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 31, 2013
      A professor at the university loaned me some pictures, so I went ahead and scanned them in for all to see. I do have a few questions about a couple of machines, particularly the Harris mainframe (any idea what model, and when it was sold?), the array of hard disk drives (what system might this have been used for?), the large room of seemingly terminals (what kind are they?), and the IBM terminal units (what kind, and what system might they have been for?). Also, is anyone familiar with the Reynolds and Reynolds Expansion 6000 machine? From what I've gathered, it had three 8" floppy drives, a tape drive, and was more-or-less based around the S-100 bus.

      Here are the pictures: http://imgur.com/a/Kwnn9

      Kyle
    • Dave
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 1, 2013
        On 01/11/2013 05:04, Kyle Owen wrote:
        A professor at the university loaned me some pictures, so I went ahead and scanned them in for all to see. I do have a few questions about a couple of machines, particularly the Harris mainframe (any idea what model, and when it was sold?), the array of hard disk drives (what system might this have been used for?), the large room of seemingly terminals (what kind are they?), and the IBM terminal units (what kind, and what system might they have been for?). Also, is anyone familiar with the Reynolds and Reynolds Expansion 6000 machine? From what I've gathered, it had three 8" floppy drives, a tape drive, and was more-or-less based around the S-100 bus.

        Here are the pictures: http://imgur.com/a/Kwnn9

        Kyle

      • Bill Sudbrink
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 1, 2013

          I’m pretty sure those terminals in the two pictures labeled “Unsure” by Visual Technology Inc.  Some may be model 50s, others may be some of the later models.

          Bill S.

          A professor at the university loaned me some pictures, so I went ahead and scanned them in for all to see. I do have a few questions about a couple of machines, particularly the Harris mainframe (any idea what model, and when it was sold?), the array of hard disk drives (what system might this have been used for?), the large room of seemingly terminals (what kind are they?), and the IBM terminal units (what kind, and what system might they have been for?). Also, is anyone familiar with the Reynolds and Reynolds Expansion 6000 machine? From what I've gathered, it had three 8" floppy drives, a tape drive, and was more-or-less based around the S-100 bus.

          Here are the pictures: http://imgur.com/a/Kwnn9

          Kyle

          No virus found in this message.

        • Jeff Galinat
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 1, 2013
            On 11/1/2013 1:04 AM, Kyle Owen wrote:

             I do have a few questions about a couple of machines,  the array of hard disk drives (what system might this have been used for?) and the IBM terminal units (what kind, and what system might they have been for?).

            Hi Kyle,
              From the photos, the disk drives appear to be IBM 3350's.  I used to work on them as an IBM customer engineer.  The reason I said "appear" is that some
            3rd party competitors sold similar devices that were almost exact clones of ours down to very similar covers.   From across the room they would look the same until you got up close & could see the differences.  They typically attached to an IBM 370 system via either Integrated Storage Control (ISC) built into the mainframe, or via an I/O channel to an IBM 3830 Storage Control Unit or later through an IBM 3880 Storage Control Unit.
              The IBM terminals appear to be 3178 models.  They were coax attached using a 3270 protocol to the system typically via a channel attached 3274 terminal controller.  Some 3270 terminal devices in remote locations were attached via a remote 3274 that attached via a communications link instead of an I/O channel.
            Let me know if I can help with any other questions,
            Jeff
          • Christian Liendo
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 1, 2013
              I saw those on Reddit..  They great..