CPM Regeneration/Customization Course for VFCE?

  • dougmemphis
    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 30, 2013
      I'm scratching my head over regenerating a customized CP/M for some machines.  Perhaps others are too and this would be a good course for someone who has worked through it.   Thanks!
    • enrlaz
      Message 2 of 18 , Oct 30, 2013

        How nice! I still have this problem because I ARRANGE of a single board computer whose ancestor is the modified Ferguson Bigboard 1. The critical point is the regeneration of the main CBIOS tend account that the entry points of the firmware and the FDC are different: in Ferguson Bigboard 1 part by the firmware F000H and the FDC is a WD1771 while in the modified card firmware part from F800H and FDC is a WD1797. When I tried to do the tests I was able to change the entry point of the calls from CBIOS to the firmware manually editing all C3xxF0 in C3xxF8 in the areas of CPM traces on diskette, but probably it is more complex for me. It would be very nice to be able to create a diskette CPM and see also Ferguson BigBoard Modified unable to load the operating system CPM.

        http://www.vintagesbc.it/?page_id=1058&gtlang=en

        http://www.vintagesbc.it/?page_id=305&gtlang=en

        Enrico

        Message 3 of 18 , Oct 30, 2013
          > I'm scratching my head over regenerating a customized CP/M for some
          > machines. Perhaps others are too and this would be a good course for
          > someone who has worked through it. Thanks!

          We read your mind! Rich Cini is going to teach a "Bootstrapping CP/M"
          course.

          PS- Are you new to the group? If so, then please introduce yourself.
          Interests, how you found us, general location, etc. ... thanks.
        • John Evans
          Message 4 of 18 , Oct 31, 2013
            I'd be very interested in this course if made available online to those
            of us who can't attend and are distant. Slides and text at a minimum
            but audio or a video would be great.

            Thanks,
            John
            Message 5 of 18 , Oct 31, 2013
              >> I'd be very interested in this course if made available online to those of us who can't attend and are distant.

              Where are you located? Fact: people have attended VCF East from five continents.

              >> Slides and text at a minimum but audio or a video would be great.

              Slides are possible.
              Message 6 of 18 , Oct 31, 2013
                > >> I'd be very interested in this course if made available online to
                those of us who can't attend and are distant.

                > Where are you located? Fact: people have attended VCF East from five
                continents.

                > >> Slides and text at a minimum but audio or a video would be great.
                >
                > Slides are possible.

                The CP/M workshop I ran at my office a few years ago has some details.

                Dan made a packet for everyone to follow and use later with materials for
                building custom CP/M revs. I assume they'd have an updated version of this
                packet for VCF E 9.1 as well

                Bill
              • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
                Message 7 of 18 , Oct 31, 2013
                  "B. Degnan" <billdeg@...> writes:

> [...]

                  Assuming there are still only 7 continents and I'm pretty sure that the
                  continent of Antarctica can be ruled out, what is the other continent?

                • Dan Roganti
                  Message 8 of 18 , Oct 31, 2013

                    Assuming there are still only 7 continents and I'm pretty sure that the
                    continent of Antarctica can be ruled out, what is the other continent?

                    it's because some still consider Europe a separate continent from Asia

                    Message 9 of 18 , Oct 31, 2013
                      >> those of us who can't attend and are distant.
                      >>>
                      >>> Where are you located? Fact: people have attended VCF East from five
                      >> continents.
                      >
                      > Assuming there are still only 7 continents and I'm pretty sure that the
                      > continent of Antarctica can be ruled out, what is the other continent?

                      Africa.

                      We've had visitors from all over North America, plus Brazil, several
                      European nations, Australia, and .... well I counted New Zealand as part
                      of Asia, but now I'm not sure.

                      Point it, when people tell me, "I can't go to VCF East. I live in (some
                      other nearby state)," I just take a deep breath and think about our
                      visitors from * around the world *.

                      PS- Ethan spent some time living in Antarctica.
                      PPS- Wonder if there's anyone on this list who never realized the pun
                      when I call us all "MARCHins". :)
                    • dougmemphis
                      Message 10 of 18 , Oct 31, 2013

                        :) dougmemphis == doug crawford

                        Message 11 of 18 , Oct 31, 2013

                          > >> Where are you located? Fact: people have attended VCF East from five
                          > >continents.
                          >
                          > Assuming there are still only 7 continents and I'm pretty sure that the
                          > continent of Antarctica can be ruled out, what is the other continent?

                          Residents of S America are banned from VCF by UN Order 1375b 2007. Vetoed
                          by China and the Queen of Atlantis.
                          Message 12 of 18 , Oct 31, 2013
                            > :) dougmemphis == doug crawford

                            Oh. Hey.

                            For some reason your previous message only showed an email addy, not
                            your usual name.
                          • John Evans
                            Message 13 of 18 , Oct 31, 2013
                              It would certainly be physically possible for me to attend, but it probably would not be cost effective for me to do this, what with a daughter in college, my wife being unemployed full time, and me being underemployed.  Just sayin'.

                              73 - john - n0hj

                              Message 14 of 18 , Oct 31, 2013

                                > We've had visitors from all over North America, plus Brazil, several
                                > European nations, Australia, and .... well I counted New Zealand as part

                                > of Asia, but now I'm not sure.

                                You mean of course the continent Australia
                                Message 15 of 18 , Oct 31, 2013
                                  > It would certainly be physically possible for me to attend, but it
                                  > probably would not be cost effective for me to do this, what with a
                                  > daughter in college, my wife being unemployed full time, and me being
                                  > underemployed. Just sayin'.
                                  >
                                  > 73 - john - n0hj

                                  Fair enough. Many people are in similar situations.

                                  When the event nears, perhaps you could see about sharing a ride and/or
                                  sharing a room with others from your area, wherever that might be.
                                  People really do attend VCF East from all over and especially from
                                  within a few states surrounding New Jersey.

                                  Either way: welcome to the group. We're a friendly bunch, including many
                                  hams. Please introduce yourself .... background in computers, how you

                                  Message 16 of 18 , Oct 31, 2013
                                    On 10/31/2013 12:27 PM, Evan Koblentz wrote:
                                    >>> those of us who can't attend and are distant.

                                    >>> continents.
                                    >>
                                    >> Assuming there are still only 7 continents and I'm pretty sure that the
                                    >> continent of Antarctica can be ruled out, what is the other continent?
                                    >>

                                    > Africa.
                                    >
                                    > We've had visitors from all over North America, plus Brazil, several
                                    > European nations, Australia, and .... well I counted New Zealand as part
                                    > of Asia, but now I'm not sure.
                                    >
                                    > Point it, when people tell me, "I can't go to VCF East. I live in (some
                                    > other nearby state)," I just take a deep breath and think about our
                                    > visitors from * around the world *.

                                    New Yorkers. ;) (excluding you, of course)

                                    When I lived in FL, I coincidentally fell into a crowd of displaced Long
                                    Island natives. The one unifying thing about them, aside from their accents,
                                    was that driving any further than around the block was considered an all-day
                                    affair. I always ribbed 'em good about that. :)

                                    Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                                    New Kensington, PA
                                  • Neil Cherry
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Oct 31, 2013
                                      On 10/31/2013 02:27 PM, Dave McGuire wrote:

                                      > When I lived in FL, I coincidentally fell into a crowd of displaced Long
                                      > Island natives. The one unifying thing about them, aside from their accents,
                                      > was that driving any further than around the block was considered an all-day
                                      > affair. I always ribbed 'em good about that. :)

                                      It's Long Island, it would be.

                                      http://www.linuxha.com/ Main site
                                      http://linuxha.blogspot.com/ My HA Blog
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Oct 31, 2013
                                        On 10/31/2013 02:41 PM, Neil Cherry wrote:
                                        >> When I lived in FL, I coincidentally fell into a crowd of displaced Long
                                        >> Island natives. The one unifying thing about them, aside from their accents,
                                        >> was that driving any further than around the block was considered an all-day
                                        >> affair. I always ribbed 'em good about that. :)
                                        >
                                        > It's Long Island, it would be.

                                        ROFL!!

                                        --
                                        Dave McGuire, AK4HZ