Computer signage on my table

  • macmothership
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 24, 2005
      I am going to prepare a small sign for each system that I will be displaying, with model
      details. (Apple II, Apple III, Apple Lisa, and the first 128k Mac - and possible a Mac
      Portable if I have room)
      I'll place them in those small clear plexiglas stand-up displays that they sell at staples, and
      place one by each system. Those things are a few dollars each, but I think it will look
      good.
    • evan
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 24, 2005
        Sounds great, Jim. Would be even better if the rest of us follow your lead.
        :)

        If I can the Apple 1 replica working, we can put that on your table too.

        --- macmothership <macmothership@...> wrote:

        > I am going to prepare a small sign for each system that I will be displaying,
        > with model
        > details. (Apple II, Apple III, Apple Lisa, and the first 128k Mac - and
        > possible a Mac
        > Portable if I have room)
        > I'll place them in those small clear plexiglas stand-up displays that they
        > sell at staples, and
        > place one by each system. Those things are a few dollars each, but I think it
        > will look
        > good.

      • macmothership
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 24, 2005
          Evan,

          Wow - that really would complete the line-up and fit in perfectly. I can create a sign for
          that also. Great!
          Do you have a small monitor for it to use?

          --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, evan <evan947@y...> wrote:
          > Sounds great, Jim. Would be even better if the rest of us follow your lead.
          > :)
          >
          > If I can the Apple 1 replica working, we can put that on your table too.
          >
          > --- macmothership <macmothership@y...> wrote:
          >

          > > I am going to prepare a small sign for each system that I will be displaying,
          > > with model
          > > details. (Apple II, Apple III, Apple Lisa, and the first 128k Mac - and
          > > possible a Mac
          > > Portable if I have room)
          > > I'll place them in those small clear plexiglas stand-up displays that they
          > > sell at staples, and
          > > place one by each system. Those things are a few dollars each, but I think it
          > > will look
          > > good.

        • evan
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 24, 2005
            Yeah I've got one.

            --- macmothership <macmothership@...> wrote:

            > Evan,
            >
            > Wow - that really would complete the line-up and fit in perfectly. I can
            > create a sign for
            > that also. Great!
            > Do you have a small monitor for it to use?
            >
            > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, evan <evan947@y...> wrote:
            > > Sounds great, Jim. Would be even better if the rest of us follow your
            > lead.
            > > :)
            > >
            > > If I can the Apple 1 replica working, we can put that on your table too.
            > >
            > > --- macmothership <macmothership@y...> wrote:
            > >

            > > > I am going to prepare a small sign for each system that I will be
            > displaying,
            > > > with model
            > > > details. (Apple II, Apple III, Apple Lisa, and the first 128k Mac - and
            > > > possible a Mac
            > > > Portable if I have room)
            > > > I'll place them in those small clear plexiglas stand-up displays that
            > they
            > > > sell at staples, and
            > > > place one by each system. Those things are a few dollars each, but I
            > think it
            > > > will look
            > > > good.

          • evan947
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 28, 2005
              Good news: a couple of days ago the replica started to work. I don't
              know how to program in assembly, but I had fun playing with Integer
              BASIC. I also was able to use Woz's 'monitor' application.

              Yesterday I ordered a non-volatile IC from DigiKey.com, to replace
              the volatile chip that Vince Briel includes with the design. That
              should arrive tomorrow or Monday. (I had to do this -- there is no
              other storage option because my case design won't have room for the
              serial I/O board and Vince says the cassette interface isn't
              finished.)

              FYI, for those who have no idea what I'm talking about:
              http://home.comcast.net/~vbriel/index.htm :)

              Now that it works, I'm designing a custom case for it. Since I
              collect handhelds/portables, I figured my case should be of the
              laptop variety. Sellam Ismail (of VCF fame) gave me an old
              PowerBook -- it's the model 145B because that one is rather large,
              giving me plenty of room to work. I took it apart, removed the
              screen and all of the electronics, so now it's just a bare plastic
              shell. Now I'm working on stuffing the following inside it:
              keyboard, new LCD display, motherboard, NiMH cells. The only problem
              so far is getting the board to work with the LCD, but Vince is
              helping with that.

              I put a photo of the 'empty' laptop under the photos link in this
              group. The photo is not very good quality but you get the idea.

              --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "macmothership"

              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 29, 2005
                That is great news - the Apple 1 is something most people have never been able to get
                their hands on, just read about - should be cool!

                Have you given any thought to enclosing it in a "period" case. As you know, many were in
                hand built wooden cases with the keyboard, or generic metal enclosures. I've uploaded a
                photo.

                I'll print out an Ad and Article on the Apple 1 from my website to have on display next to
                the unit at the show.

                --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "evan947" <evan947@y...> wrote:

                > Good news: a couple of days ago the replica started to work. I don't
                > know how to program in assembly, but I had fun playing with Integer
                > BASIC. I also was able to use Woz's 'monitor' application.
                >
                > Yesterday I ordered a non-volatile IC from DigiKey.com, to replace
                > the volatile chip that Vince Briel includes with the design. That
                > should arrive tomorrow or Monday. (I had to do this -- there is no
                > other storage option because my case design won't have room for the
                > serial I/O board and Vince says the cassette interface isn't
                > finished.)
                >
                > FYI, for those who have no idea what I'm talking about:
                > http://home.comcast.net/~vbriel/index.htm :)
                >
                > Now that it works, I'm designing a custom case for it. Since I
                > collect handhelds/portables, I figured my case should be of the
                > laptop variety. Sellam Ismail (of VCF fame) gave me an old
                > PowerBook -- it's the model 145B because that one is rather large,
                > giving me plenty of room to work. I took it apart, removed the
                > screen and all of the electronics, so now it's just a bare plastic
                > shell. Now I'm working on stuffing the following inside it:
                > keyboard, new LCD display, motherboard, NiMH cells. The only problem
                > so far is getting the board to work with the LCD, but Vince is
                > helping with that.
                >
                > I put a photo of the 'empty' laptop under the photos link in this
                > group. The photo is not very good quality but you get the idea.
                >

                > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "macmothership"
                > <macmothership@y...> wrote:
                > >
                > > Evan,
                > >
                > > Wow - that really would complete the line-up and fit in perfectly.
                > I can create a sign for
                > > that also. Great!
                > > Do you have a small monitor for it to use?
                > >
                > > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, evan <evan947@y...> wrote:
                > > > Sounds great, Jim. Would be even better if the rest of us follow
                > your lead.
                > > > :)
                > > >
                > > > If I can the Apple 1 replica working, we can put that on your
                > table too.
              • evan947
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 30, 2005
                  Yes, I'm considering that... however the portable version is my main
                  project right now. (Vince Briel, who designed the kit, has a version
                  very similar to the original, just like in your photo. Check his out:
                  http://home.comcast.net/~vbriel/r1se.htm) -- it's sold already but I
                  think he's willing to make more for whoever is willing to order one.