Re: IBM front panel

  • David Keith
    Message 1 of 42 , Oct 27, 2013
      Jeff, Evan,

      There is an  IBM System 360 Console up for sale on ebay item#321235206028.  It is located in Jackson, New Jersey.  I will NOT be bidding on this one, I have enough unfinished project to start yet another one.  I hope another MARCH member will give it a good home

      David Keith

    • Claunch,Carl
      Message 42 of 42 , Nov 2, 2013

      The front panel was not from a stock 360 / 30. It had been modified, most likely by a leasing company stuck with the machine once the 370 line was available. It was not uncommon for leasing companies to modify the 360 machines to speed them up or otherwise make them more ‘competitive’ with the 370s, hoping to convince someone to take the model 30 instead of a 370. Look near the upper right, where a segment of the panel was replaced with non-IBM circuitry. It appears that this model 30 was configured with a much larger main memory than was possible from IBM. It may have had other changes to increase speed, but if they exist they aren’t hinted at by the lights and switches on this panel. I suspect the machine was converted to monolithic memory.

      I suspect that collectors wouldn’t value a panel that wasn’t original as highly as they would if it had been stock. Matching the blank plate that was removed for this modification would be challenging – look at how the color and surface texture differences stand out between the metal in the add-on plate and the other parts of the console panel.

      Carl

      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, David Keith <beloved_wind@...> wrote:

      > Looks like it went for much less than I thought, guess I should have bid on it,

      > Member Id: $***$         US $913.00    Oct-31-13 19:04:23 PDT

      > yep one of those automatic bidders got it within 5 second before the end of bidding

      > hope one of you bought it

      > -- David Keith

      This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the person to whom it has been sent, and may contain information that is confidential or legally protected. If you are not the intended recipient or have received this message in error, you are not authorized to copy, distribute, or otherwise use this message or its attachments. Please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and permanently delete this message and any attachments. Gartner makes no warranty that this e-mail is error or virus free.