Re: [midatlanticretro] uVax Diag Monitor tape?

  • David Riley
    Message 1 of 24 , Oct 8, 2013
      On Aug 30, 2013, at 6:36 PM, Dave McGuire <mcguire@...> wrote:

      > I must've just skimmed Evan's earlier message...I would like to know what
      > type of 5.25" drive Matt is planning on getting running on a PDP-11/44. The
      > only way to do it is with an SMD controller (easy) and a 5.25" SMD drive
      > (very rare), or a SCSI drive (easy) and a Unibus SCSI host adapter (rare and
      > very expensive).
      >
      > Matt, what configuration are you trying to bring up? It's likely that I
      > can save you some time and tears.

      Matt and I brought up the 11/44 earlier using his Unibus SCSI adaptor,
      so I assume it's the latter.

      - Dave
    • tedheadster
      Message 2 of 24 , Oct 9, 2013
        I intend to reformat an RA70 disk and use it with a UDA50 on the PDP-11/44.

        - Matthew W

      • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
        Message 3 of 24 , Oct 9, 2013
          Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:

          > I have many (MANY!) if you need some.
          >
          > I also have several copies of the requested diag tape, but haven't yet be=
          >en able to make the time to wade through hundreds of TK50s to fish one out.=
          > :-/

          That's OK. I found one I was willing to cannibalize last evening. I'll be
          wrting it today.

          Matthew, send me your postal address.

          Message 4 of 24 , Oct 9, 2013
            On 10/09/2013 12:43 AM, David Riley wrote:
            > On Aug 30, 2013, at 6:36 PM, Dave McGuire <mcguire@...> wrote:
            >

            >> I must've just skimmed Evan's earlier message...I would like to know what
            >> type of 5.25" drive Matt is planning on getting running on a PDP-11/44. The
            >> only way to do it is with an SMD controller (easy) and a 5.25" SMD drive
            >> (very rare), or a SCSI drive (easy) and a Unibus SCSI host adapter (rare and
            >> very expensive).
            >>
            >> Matt, what configuration are you trying to bring up? It's likely that I
            >> can save you some time and tears.
            >
            > Matt and I brought up the 11/44 earlier using his Unibus SCSI adaptor,
            > so I assume it's the latter.

            Wow, that was an old message. Did this just shake loose?

            Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
            New Kensington, PA
          • Dennis Boone
            Message 5 of 24 , Oct 9, 2013
              >> I must've just skimmed Evan's earlier message...I would like to know what
              >> type of 5.25" drive Matt is planning on getting running on a PDP-11/44. The
              >> only way to do it is with an SMD controller (easy) and a 5.25" SMD drive
              >> (very rare), or a SCSI drive (easy) and a Unibus SCSI host adapter (rare and
              >> very expensive).

              Third way, though it may not help the individual in question: there
              exist Unibus ESDI controllers and drives. There's not a lot of demand,
              so they tend to be cheaper than SCSI stuff, at least last I looked.

              De
              Message 6 of 24 , Oct 9, 2013
                On 10/09/2013 06:38 PM, Dennis Boone wrote:
                >>> I must've just skimmed Evan's earlier message...I would like to know what
                >>> type of 5.25" drive Matt is planning on getting running on a PDP-11/44. The
                >>> only way to do it is with an SMD controller (easy) and a 5.25" SMD drive
                >>> (very rare), or a SCSI drive (easy) and a Unibus SCSI host adapter (rare and
                >>> very expensive).
                >
                > Third way, though it may not help the individual in question: there
                > exist Unibus ESDI controllers and drives. There's not a lot of demand,
                > so they tend to be cheaper than SCSI stuff, at least last I looked.

                I'd love to find one or two of those. I have bunches of Qbus ESDI
                controllers, but no Unibus. I don't think I've ever even seen one in person. :-(

                Dave McGuire, AK4HZ