Re: [midatlanticretro] uVax Diag Monitor tape?

    Message 1 of 24 , Oct 8, 2013
      I have many (MANY!) if you need some.

      I also have several copies of the requested diag tape, but haven't yet been able to make the time to wade through hundreds of TK50s to fish one out. :-/

      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
      New Kensington, PA

      On Oct 8, 2013, at 8:18 PM, "Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-" <VAXman@...> wrote:

      > tedheadster <whiteheadm@...> writes:
      >
      >> So nothing really ever came of this thread. Could you ask Brian S
      >> privately?
      >>
      >> - Matthew
      >
      > If I can find a TK50 tape I'm willing to sacrifice, I'll put the uVAX-II
      > diags on it for you. I've been busy and ill (since a medical procedure)
      > and I forgot about your request in all that.
      >
      > I've made a note to go looking for a TK50 tape tomorrow.
      > --
      > VAXman- A Bored Certified VMS Kernel Mode Hacker VAXman(at)TMESIS(dot)ORG
      >
      > Well I speak to machines with the voice of humanity.

    • David Riley
      Message 2 of 24 , Oct 8, 2013
        On Aug 30, 2013, at 6:36 PM, Dave McGuire <mcguire@...> wrote:

        > I must've just skimmed Evan's earlier message...I would like to know what
        > type of 5.25" drive Matt is planning on getting running on a PDP-11/44. The
        > only way to do it is with an SMD controller (easy) and a 5.25" SMD drive
        > (very rare), or a SCSI drive (easy) and a Unibus SCSI host adapter (rare and
        > very expensive).
        >
        > Matt, what configuration are you trying to bring up? It's likely that I
        > can save you some time and tears.

        Matt and I brought up the 11/44 earlier using his Unibus SCSI adaptor,
        so I assume it's the latter.

        - Dave
      • tedheadster
        Message 3 of 24 , Oct 9, 2013
          I intend to reformat an RA70 disk and use it with a UDA50 on the PDP-11/44.

          - Matthew W

        • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
          Message 4 of 24 , Oct 9, 2013
            Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:

            > I have many (MANY!) if you need some.
            >
            > I also have several copies of the requested diag tape, but haven't yet be=
            >en able to make the time to wade through hundreds of TK50s to fish one out.=
            > :-/

            That's OK. I found one I was willing to cannibalize last evening. I'll be
            wrting it today.

            Matthew, send me your postal address.

            Message 5 of 24 , Oct 9, 2013
              On 10/09/2013 12:43 AM, David Riley wrote:
              > On Aug 30, 2013, at 6:36 PM, Dave McGuire <mcguire@...> wrote:
              >

              >> I must've just skimmed Evan's earlier message...I would like to know what
              >> type of 5.25" drive Matt is planning on getting running on a PDP-11/44. The
              >> only way to do it is with an SMD controller (easy) and a 5.25" SMD drive
              >> (very rare), or a SCSI drive (easy) and a Unibus SCSI host adapter (rare and
              >> very expensive).
              >>
              >> Matt, what configuration are you trying to bring up? It's likely that I
              >> can save you some time and tears.
              >
              > Matt and I brought up the 11/44 earlier using his Unibus SCSI adaptor,
              > so I assume it's the latter.

              Wow, that was an old message. Did this just shake loose?

              Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
              New Kensington, PA
            • Dennis Boone
              Message 6 of 24 , Oct 9, 2013
                >> I must've just skimmed Evan's earlier message...I would like to know what
                >> type of 5.25" drive Matt is planning on getting running on a PDP-11/44. The
                >> only way to do it is with an SMD controller (easy) and a 5.25" SMD drive
                >> (very rare), or a SCSI drive (easy) and a Unibus SCSI host adapter (rare and
                >> very expensive).

                Third way, though it may not help the individual in question: there
                exist Unibus ESDI controllers and drives. There's not a lot of demand,
                so they tend to be cheaper than SCSI stuff, at least last I looked.

                De
                Message 7 of 24 , Oct 9, 2013
                  On 10/09/2013 06:38 PM, Dennis Boone wrote:
                  >>> I must've just skimmed Evan's earlier message...I would like to know what
                  >>> type of 5.25" drive Matt is planning on getting running on a PDP-11/44. The
                  >>> only way to do it is with an SMD controller (easy) and a 5.25" SMD drive
                  >>> (very rare), or a SCSI drive (easy) and a Unibus SCSI host adapter (rare and
                  >>> very expensive).
                  >
                  > Third way, though it may not help the individual in question: there
                  > exist Unibus ESDI controllers and drives. There's not a lot of demand,
                  > so they tend to be cheaper than SCSI stuff, at least last I looked.

                  I'd love to find one or two of those. I have bunches of Qbus ESDI
                  controllers, but no Unibus. I don't think I've ever even seen one in person. :-(

                  Dave McGuire, AK4HZ