Re: [midatlanticretro] uVax Diag Monitor tape?

    Message 1 of 24 , Oct 8, 2013
      You sent that to the whole list...

      ...Brian S., can you help?

      From: tedheadster <whiteheadm@...>
      Sender: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2013 20:03:20 -0400
      To: <midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: Re: [midatlanticretro] uVax Diag Monitor tape?

      So nothing really ever came of this thread. Could you ask Brian S privately?

      - Matthew

      On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 11:39 AM, Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:

      DECheads--

      Matthew W. wants to make a bottable 5.25 for the museum's 11/44. He
      added: "However, I need a copy of the MicroVAX Diagnostics Monitor (MDM)
      tape to reformat the drive."

      Can anyone help with this?

    • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
      Message 2 of 24 , Oct 8, 2013
        tedheadster <whiteheadm@...> writes:

        >So nothing really ever came of this thread. Could you ask Brian S
        >privately?
        >
        >- Matthew

        If I can find a TK50 tape I'm willing to sacrifice, I'll put the uVAX-II
        diags on it for you. I've been busy and ill (since a medical procedure)
        and I forgot about your request in all that.

        I've made a note to go looking for a TK50 tape tomorrow.

        Message 3 of 24 , Oct 8, 2013
          I have many (MANY!) if you need some.

          I also have several copies of the requested diag tape, but haven't yet been able to make the time to wade through hundreds of TK50s to fish one out. :-/

          Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
          New Kensington, PA

          On Oct 8, 2013, at 8:18 PM, "Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-" <VAXman@...> wrote:

          > tedheadster <whiteheadm@...> writes:
          >
          >> So nothing really ever came of this thread. Could you ask Brian S
          >> privately?
          >>
          >> - Matthew
          >
          > If I can find a TK50 tape I'm willing to sacrifice, I'll put the uVAX-II
          > diags on it for you. I've been busy and ill (since a medical procedure)
          > and I forgot about your request in all that.
          >
          > I've made a note to go looking for a TK50 tape tomorrow.
          > --
          > VAXman- A Bored Certified VMS Kernel Mode Hacker VAXman(at)TMESIS(dot)ORG
          >
          > Well I speak to machines with the voice of humanity.

        • David Riley
          Message 4 of 24 , Oct 8, 2013
            On Aug 30, 2013, at 6:36 PM, Dave McGuire <mcguire@...> wrote:

            > I must've just skimmed Evan's earlier message...I would like to know what
            > type of 5.25" drive Matt is planning on getting running on a PDP-11/44. The
            > only way to do it is with an SMD controller (easy) and a 5.25" SMD drive
            > (very rare), or a SCSI drive (easy) and a Unibus SCSI host adapter (rare and
            > very expensive).
            >
            > Matt, what configuration are you trying to bring up? It's likely that I
            > can save you some time and tears.

            Matt and I brought up the 11/44 earlier using his Unibus SCSI adaptor,
            so I assume it's the latter.

            - Dave
          • tedheadster
            Message 5 of 24 , Oct 9, 2013
              I intend to reformat an RA70 disk and use it with a UDA50 on the PDP-11/44.

              - Matthew W

            • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
              Message 6 of 24 , Oct 9, 2013
                Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:

                > I have many (MANY!) if you need some.
                >
                > I also have several copies of the requested diag tape, but haven't yet be=
                >en able to make the time to wade through hundreds of TK50s to fish one out.=
                > :-/

                That's OK. I found one I was willing to cannibalize last evening. I'll be
                wrting it today.

                Matthew, send me your postal address.

                Message 7 of 24 , Oct 9, 2013
                  On 10/09/2013 12:43 AM, David Riley wrote:
                  > On Aug 30, 2013, at 6:36 PM, Dave McGuire <mcguire@...> wrote:
                  >

                  >> I must've just skimmed Evan's earlier message...I would like to know what
                  >> type of 5.25" drive Matt is planning on getting running on a PDP-11/44. The
                  >> only way to do it is with an SMD controller (easy) and a 5.25" SMD drive
                  >> (very rare), or a SCSI drive (easy) and a Unibus SCSI host adapter (rare and
                  >> very expensive).
                  >>
                  >> Matt, what configuration are you trying to bring up? It's likely that I
                  >> can save you some time and tears.
                  >
                  > Matt and I brought up the 11/44 earlier using his Unibus SCSI adaptor,
                  > so I assume it's the latter.

                  Wow, that was an old message. Did this just shake loose?

                  Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                  New Kensington, PA
                • Dennis Boone
                  Message 8 of 24 , Oct 9, 2013
                    >> I must've just skimmed Evan's earlier message...I would like to know what
                    >> type of 5.25" drive Matt is planning on getting running on a PDP-11/44. The
                    >> only way to do it is with an SMD controller (easy) and a 5.25" SMD drive
                    >> (very rare), or a SCSI drive (easy) and a Unibus SCSI host adapter (rare and
                    >> very expensive).

                    Third way, though it may not help the individual in question: there
                    exist Unibus ESDI controllers and drives. There's not a lot of demand,
                    so they tend to be cheaper than SCSI stuff, at least last I looked.

                    De
                    Message 9 of 24 , Oct 9, 2013
                      On 10/09/2013 06:38 PM, Dennis Boone wrote:
                      >>> I must've just skimmed Evan's earlier message...I would like to know what
                      >>> type of 5.25" drive Matt is planning on getting running on a PDP-11/44. The
                      >>> only way to do it is with an SMD controller (easy) and a 5.25" SMD drive
                      >>> (very rare), or a SCSI drive (easy) and a Unibus SCSI host adapter (rare and
                      >>> very expensive).
                      >
                      > Third way, though it may not help the individual in question: there
                      > exist Unibus ESDI controllers and drives. There's not a lot of demand,
                      > so they tend to be cheaper than SCSI stuff, at least last I looked.

                      I'd love to find one or two of those. I have bunches of Qbus ESDI
                      controllers, but no Unibus. I don't think I've ever even seen one in person. :-(

                      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ