Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: Introduction/Small wanted list

    Message 1 of 26 , Oct 7, 2013
      On 10/07/2013 07:42 PM, Michael Thompson wrote:
      > They are. But they're little-known and underappreciated by the
      > technical world.
      >
      > There are very few in private hands, I'd say less than twenty of all
      > models. This is because the vast majority of them were leased, and IBM
      > came and took them away at the end of the lease period, and either
      > re-leased them or destroyed them. This effectively prevented the
      > creation of any sort of secondary market for the hardware.
      >
      > The RICM has a 5360 System/36, three 5362 Compact System/36, three 5363
      > System/36, and four 5364 Desktop System/36. We don't have a 5363-I.

      Excellent! That makes five 5360s.

      I might have to try to talk you out of one or two of the 5364s.

      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
      New Kensington, PA
    • Cory Smelosky
      Message 2 of 26 , Oct 7, 2013
        On Mon, 7 Oct 2013, Dave McGuire wrote:

        > On 10/07/2013 07:42 PM, Michael Thompson wrote:
        >> They are. But they're little-known and underappreciated by the
        >> technical world.
        >>
        >> There are very few in private hands, I'd say less than twenty of all
        >> models. This is because the vast majority of them were leased, and IBM
        >> came and took them away at the end of the lease period, and either
        >> re-leased them or destroyed them. This effectively prevented the
        >> creation of any sort of secondary market for the hardware.
        >>
        >> The RICM has a 5360 System/36, three 5362 Compact System/36, three 5363
        >> System/36, and four 5364 Desktop System/36. We don't have a 5363-I.
        >
        > Excellent! That makes five 5360s.
        >
        > I might have to try to talk you out of one or two of the 5364s.
        >
        > -Dave

        Give Dave multiple! I'll then talk him out of one. ;)

        --
        Cory Smelosky
        http://gewt.net Personal stuff
        Message 3 of 26 , Oct 7, 2013

          Sent from my iPhone

          On Oct 7, 2013, at 6:22 PM, Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> wrote:

          On 10/07/2013 05:17 PM, Dan Roganti wrote:
          > Dan Roganti and I were at the very end of the sequence to crack the
          > login password, when the +12V power supply crapped out. I have the
          > schematics; it's on my "to-fix" list. I'll have it running sometime
          > before too long.
          >

          > yea, you better call me when we're ready to attack it again
          > Nothing like sitting on the edge of curiosity

          Absolutely!

          -Dave

          I'd like to be part of that too, would love to see the system running again.

          --
          Dave McGuire, AK4HZ