Re: [midatlanticretro] Introduction/Small wanted list

  • Cory Smelosky
    Message 1 of 26 , Oct 7, 2013
      On Mon, 7 Oct 2013, Dave McGuire wrote:

      > On 10/07/2013 06:01 PM, Cory Smelosky wrote:
      >>> I personally know of four 5360s in private hands, though I'm certain
      >>> there are more, perhaps a dozen I'd guess.
      >>
      >> Including yours?
      >
      > Yes.

      Huh.

      >>> Above I meant "I'd say less than twenty of the 5360 model", not of all
      >>> sub-models like the 5362 etc. All told I'd guess there are less than
      >>> 50-75 in total.
      >>
      >> That's not a lot at all.
      >
      > No. For a very historically-important architecture, it really sucks.
      >
      > -Dave

      It certainly does. :(

      I can't find simulators either!

      --
      Cory Smelosky
      http://gewt.net Personal stuff
      Message 2 of 26 , Oct 7, 2013
        On 10/07/2013 06:03 PM, Cory Smelosky wrote:

        >>> That's not a lot at all.
        >>
        >> No. For a very historically-important architecture, it really sucks.
        >
        > It certainly does. :(
        >
        > I can't find simulators either!

        You won't. I don't know of anyone who has even thought about writing
        one. People think of the architecture as uninteresting. That's usually
        because they've never looked at it...it's VERY COOL.

        And it's an eight-bitter! ;)

        Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
        Message 3 of 26 , Oct 7, 2013
          On 10/07/2013 05:17 PM, Dan Roganti wrote:
          > Dan Roganti and I were at the very end of the sequence to crack the
          > login password, when the +12V power supply crapped out. I have the
          > schematics; it's on my "to-fix" list. I'll have it running sometime
          > before too long.
          >

          > yea, you better call me when we're ready to attack it again
          > Nothing like sitting on the edge of curiosity

          Absolutely!

          Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
          New Kensington, PA
        • Michael Thompson
          Message 4 of 26 , Oct 7, 2013
            Mon Oct 7, 2013 2:55 pm (PDT) . Posted by:
            They are. But they're little-known and underappreciated by the
            technical world.

            There are very few in private hands, I'd say less than twenty of all
            models. This is because the vast majority of them were leased, and IBM
            came and took them away at the end of the lease period, and either
            re-leased them or destroyed them. This effectively prevented the
            creation of any sort of secondary market for the hardware.

            Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
            New Kensington, PA

            The RICM has a 5360 System/36, three 5362 Compact System/36, three 5363 System/36, and four 5364 Desktop System/36. We don't have a 5363-I.

            Michael Thompson
            Message 5 of 26 , Oct 7, 2013
              On 10/07/2013 07:42 PM, Michael Thompson wrote:
              > They are. But they're little-known and underappreciated by the
              > technical world.
              >
              > There are very few in private hands, I'd say less than twenty of all
              > models. This is because the vast majority of them were leased, and IBM
              > came and took them away at the end of the lease period, and either
              > re-leased them or destroyed them. This effectively prevented the
              > creation of any sort of secondary market for the hardware.
              >
              > The RICM has a 5360 System/36, three 5362 Compact System/36, three 5363
              > System/36, and four 5364 Desktop System/36. We don't have a 5363-I.

              Excellent! That makes five 5360s.

              I might have to try to talk you out of one or two of the 5364s.

              Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
              New Kensington, PA
            • Cory Smelosky
              Message 6 of 26 , Oct 7, 2013
                On Mon, 7 Oct 2013, Dave McGuire wrote:

                > On 10/07/2013 07:42 PM, Michael Thompson wrote:
                >> They are. But they're little-known and underappreciated by the
                >> technical world.
                >>
                >> There are very few in private hands, I'd say less than twenty of all
                >> models. This is because the vast majority of them were leased, and IBM
                >> came and took them away at the end of the lease period, and either
                >> re-leased them or destroyed them. This effectively prevented the
                >> creation of any sort of secondary market for the hardware.
                >>
                >> The RICM has a 5360 System/36, three 5362 Compact System/36, three 5363
                >> System/36, and four 5364 Desktop System/36. We don't have a 5363-I.
                >
                > Excellent! That makes five 5360s.
                >
                > I might have to try to talk you out of one or two of the 5364s.
                >
                > -Dave

                Give Dave multiple! I'll then talk him out of one. ;)

                --
                Cory Smelosky
                http://gewt.net Personal stuff
                http://gimme-sympathy.org Projects
              • Matt Patoray
                Message 7 of 26 , Oct 7, 2013

                  Sent from my iPhone

                  On Oct 7, 2013, at 6:22 PM, Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> wrote:

                  On 10/07/2013 05:17 PM, Dan Roganti wrote:
                  > Dan Roganti and I were at the very end of the sequence to crack the
                  > login password, when the +12V power supply crapped out. I have the
                  > schematics; it's on my "to-fix" list. I'll have it running sometime
                  > before too long.
                  >

                  > yea, you better call me when we're ready to attack it again
                  > Nothing like sitting on the edge of curiosity

                  Absolutely!

                  -Dave

                  I'd like to be part of that too, would love to see the system running again.

                  --
                  Dave McGuire, AK4HZ