Re: [midatlanticretro] Introduction/Small wanted list

  • Dan Roganti
    Message 1 of 26 , Oct 7, 2013

      On Mon, Oct 7, 2013 at 2:59 PM, Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> wrote:
      On 10/07/2013 02:57 PM, connork@... wrote:
      >>Mike Ross brought a 5362 to VCF 3 and 4:
      >> http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/VCF-East2006/dscn4125-f.jpg
      >> http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/VCFEast-2007/dscn5088L.jpg
      >
      > Thats awesome! Wouldn't mind looking at and in that thing for an entire
      > day heh...

        Sadly that particular one is on the other side of the world now.  I
      don't know if MARCH has one yet.  Lacking that, it's a bit of a hike,
      but you're welcome to come ogle mine.

        Dan Roganti and I were at the very end of the sequence to crack the
      login password, when the +12V power supply crapped out.  I have the
      schematics; it's on my "to-fix" list.  I'll have it running sometime
      before too long.

      yea, you better call me when we're ready to attack it again
      Nothing like sitting on the edge of curiosity

      Dan

    • Cory Smelosky
      Message 2 of 26 , Oct 7, 2013
        On Mon, 7 Oct 2013, Dave McGuire wrote:

        > On 10/06/2013 11:06 PM, connork@... wrote:
        >> Hi all I'm new to the group here.
        >> Probably not best to introduce myself then give a list of computers I'm
        >> looking for but here it goes.
        >> My name is Connor, I'm 16, left high school to start college (currently
        >> in college), and I'm collecting computers older then me.
        >> I've been known to carry old computers around my college campus for fun
        >> and I've been running out of room in this small room of mine.
        >> That's probably all I have to say about myself.
        >> Oh and I live in the north east corner of Maryland.
        >> Anyway onto the computers I am looking for (since they are either over
        >> priced on ebay or I can't find them there).
        >
        > Hey! Good to see some youngn's here. ;) Most of us are old farts!

        But not all for sure. ;)

        >> I am looking for:
        >> A Commodore 64 (a floppy drive with it would be awesome too)
        >> An IBM PS/2 Model 25
        >> A Kaypro machine (don't have any yet so really any model would make me
        >> happy)
        >> And an IBM system/36 5362 (sort-of kidding about this one as I doubt
        >> anyone would have one let alone have one they would be willing to sell,
        >> though I do wish to acquire one eventually)
        >
        > I have a 5360 here, but it'll be STAYING here. ;) Aside from that,
        > though...I have seen 5362s pop up on eBay from time to time. They're
        > not very common, but they're around, so don't give up just yet!

        The System/36 looks like a neat box. I'd be surprised if you only had one.
        ;)

        --
        Cory Smelosky
        http://gewt.net Personal stuff
        Message 3 of 26 , Oct 7, 2013
          On 10/07/2013 05:50 PM, Cory Smelosky wrote:
          >>> And an IBM system/36 5362 (sort-of kidding about this one as I doubt
          >>> anyone would have one let alone have one they would be willing to sell,
          >>> though I do wish to acquire one eventually)
          >>
          >> I have a 5360 here, but it'll be STAYING here. ;) Aside from that,
          >> though...I have seen 5362s pop up on eBay from time to time. They're
          >> not very common, but they're around, so don't give up just yet!
          >>

          > The System/36 looks like a neat box. I'd be surprised if you only had one.

          They are. But they're little-known and underappreciated by the
          technical world.

          There are very few in private hands, I'd say less than twenty of all
          models. This is because the vast majority of them were leased, and IBM
          came and took them away at the end of the lease period, and either
          re-leased them or destroyed them. This effectively prevented the
          creation of any sort of secondary market for the hardware.

          Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
          New Kensington, PA
        • Cory Smelosky
          Message 4 of 26 , Oct 7, 2013

            >>> I have a 5360 here, but it'll be STAYING here. ;) Aside from that,
            >>> though...I have seen 5362s pop up on eBay from time to time. They're
            >>> not very common, but they're around, so don't give up just yet!
            >>>

            >> The System/36 looks like a neat box. I'd be surprised if you only had one.
            >
            > They are. But they're little-known and underappreciated by the
            > technical world.
            >
            > There are very few in private hands, I'd say less than twenty of all
            > models. This is because the vast majority of them were leased, and IBM
            > came and took them away at the end of the lease period, and either
            > re-leased them or destroyed them. This effectively prevented the
            > creation of any sort of secondary market for the hardware.
            >
            > -Dave

            That's unfortunate. :(

            That would mean I am aware of 2 of about 3 System/36 owners...

            Message 5 of 26 , Oct 7, 2013
              On 10/07/2013 05:57 PM, Cory Smelosky wrote:
              >>> The System/36 looks like a neat box. I'd be surprised if you only had one.
              >>
              >> They are. But they're little-known and underappreciated by the
              >> technical world.
              >>
              >> There are very few in private hands, I'd say less than twenty of all
              >> models. This is because the vast majority of them were leased, and IBM
              >> came and took them away at the end of the lease period, and either
              >> re-leased them or destroyed them. This effectively prevented the
              >> creation of any sort of secondary market for the hardware.
              >
              > That's unfortunate. :(

              Yes.

              > That would mean I am aware of 2 of about 3 System/36 owners...

              I personally know of four 5360s in private hands, though I'm certain
              there are more, perhaps a dozen I'd guess.

              Above I meant "I'd say less than twenty of the 5360 model", not of all
              sub-models like the 5362 etc. All told I'd guess there are less than
              50-75 in total.

              Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
              New Kensington, PA
            • Cory Smelosky
              Message 6 of 26 , Oct 7, 2013

                >>> They are. But they're little-known and underappreciated by the
                >>> technical world.
                >>>
                >>> There are very few in private hands, I'd say less than twenty of all
                >>> models. This is because the vast majority of them were leased, and IBM
                >>> came and took them away at the end of the lease period, and either
                >>> re-leased them or destroyed them. This effectively prevented the
                >>> creation of any sort of secondary market for the hardware.
                >>
                >> That's unfortunate. :(
                >
                > Yes.
                >
                >> That would mean I am aware of 2 of about 3 System/36 owners...
                >
                > I personally know of four 5360s in private hands, though I'm certain
                > there are more, perhaps a dozen I'd guess.

                Including yours?

                > Above I meant "I'd say less than twenty of the 5360 model", not of all
                > sub-models like the 5362 etc. All told I'd guess there are less than
                > 50-75 in total.

                That's not a lot at all.

                Message 7 of 26 , Oct 7, 2013
                  On 10/07/2013 06:01 PM, Cory Smelosky wrote:
                  >> I personally know of four 5360s in private hands, though I'm certain
                  >> there are more, perhaps a dozen I'd guess.
                  >
                  > Including yours?

                  Yes.

                  >> Above I meant "I'd say less than twenty of the 5360 model", not of all
                  >> sub-models like the 5362 etc. All told I'd guess there are less than
                  >> 50-75 in total.
                  >
                  > That's not a lot at all.

                  No. For a very historically-important architecture, it really sucks.

                  Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                  New Kensington, PA
                • Cory Smelosky
                  Message 8 of 26 , Oct 7, 2013
                    On Mon, 7 Oct 2013, Dave McGuire wrote:

                    > On 10/07/2013 06:01 PM, Cory Smelosky wrote:
                    >>> I personally know of four 5360s in private hands, though I'm certain
                    >>> there are more, perhaps a dozen I'd guess.
                    >>
                    >> Including yours?
                    >
                    > Yes.

                    Huh.

                    >>> Above I meant "I'd say less than twenty of the 5360 model", not of all
                    >>> sub-models like the 5362 etc. All told I'd guess there are less than
                    >>> 50-75 in total.
                    >>
                    >> That's not a lot at all.
                    >
                    > No. For a very historically-important architecture, it really sucks.
                    >
                    > -Dave

                    It certainly does. :(

                    I can't find simulators either!

                    Message 9 of 26 , Oct 7, 2013
                      On 10/07/2013 06:03 PM, Cory Smelosky wrote:

                      >>> That's not a lot at all.
                      >>
                      >> No. For a very historically-important architecture, it really sucks.
                      >
                      > It certainly does. :(
                      >
                      > I can't find simulators either!

                      You won't. I don't know of anyone who has even thought about writing
                      one. People think of the architecture as uninteresting. That's usually
                      because they've never looked at it...it's VERY COOL.

                      And it's an eight-bitter! ;)

                      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                      Message 10 of 26 , Oct 7, 2013
                        On 10/07/2013 05:17 PM, Dan Roganti wrote:
                        > Dan Roganti and I were at the very end of the sequence to crack the
                        > login password, when the +12V power supply crapped out. I have the
                        > schematics; it's on my "to-fix" list. I'll have it running sometime
                        > before too long.
                        >

                        > yea, you better call me when we're ready to attack it again
                        > Nothing like sitting on the edge of curiosity

                        Absolutely!

                        Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                        New Kensington, PA
                      • Michael Thompson
                        Message 11 of 26 , Oct 7, 2013
                          Mon Oct 7, 2013 2:55 pm (PDT) . Posted by:
                          They are. But they're little-known and underappreciated by the
                          technical world.

                          There are very few in private hands, I'd say less than twenty of all
                          models. This is because the vast majority of them were leased, and IBM
                          came and took them away at the end of the lease period, and either
                          re-leased them or destroyed them. This effectively prevented the
                          creation of any sort of secondary market for the hardware.

                          Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                          New Kensington, PA

                          The RICM has a 5360 System/36, three 5362 Compact System/36, three 5363 System/36, and four 5364 Desktop System/36. We don't have a 5363-I.

                          Michael Thompson
                          Message 12 of 26 , Oct 7, 2013
                            On 10/07/2013 07:42 PM, Michael Thompson wrote:
                            > They are. But they're little-known and underappreciated by the
                            > technical world.
                            >
                            > There are very few in private hands, I'd say less than twenty of all
                            > models. This is because the vast majority of them were leased, and IBM
                            > came and took them away at the end of the lease period, and either
                            > re-leased them or destroyed them. This effectively prevented the
                            > creation of any sort of secondary market for the hardware.
                            >
                            > The RICM has a 5360 System/36, three 5362 Compact System/36, three 5363
                            > System/36, and four 5364 Desktop System/36. We don't have a 5363-I.

                            Excellent! That makes five 5360s.

                            I might have to try to talk you out of one or two of the 5364s.

                            Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                            New Kensington, PA
                          • Cory Smelosky
                            Message 13 of 26 , Oct 7, 2013
                              On Mon, 7 Oct 2013, Dave McGuire wrote:

                              > On 10/07/2013 07:42 PM, Michael Thompson wrote:
                              >> They are. But they're little-known and underappreciated by the
                              >> technical world.
                              >>
                              >> There are very few in private hands, I'd say less than twenty of all
                              >> models. This is because the vast majority of them were leased, and IBM
                              >> came and took them away at the end of the lease period, and either
                              >> re-leased them or destroyed them. This effectively prevented the
                              >> creation of any sort of secondary market for the hardware.
                              >>
                              >> The RICM has a 5360 System/36, three 5362 Compact System/36, three 5363
                              >> System/36, and four 5364 Desktop System/36. We don't have a 5363-I.
                              >
                              > Excellent! That makes five 5360s.
                              >
                              > I might have to try to talk you out of one or two of the 5364s.
                              >
                              > -Dave

                              Give Dave multiple! I'll then talk him out of one. ;)

                              --
                              Cory Smelosky
                              http://gewt.net Personal stuff
                              http://gimme-sympathy.org Projects
                            • Matt Patoray
                              Message 14 of 26 , Oct 7, 2013

                                Sent from my iPhone

                                On Oct 7, 2013, at 6:22 PM, Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> wrote:

                                On 10/07/2013 05:17 PM, Dan Roganti wrote:
                                > Dan Roganti and I were at the very end of the sequence to crack the
                                > login password, when the +12V power supply crapped out. I have the
                                > schematics; it's on my "to-fix" list. I'll have it running sometime
                                > before too long.
                                >

                                > yea, you better call me when we're ready to attack it again
                                > Nothing like sitting on the edge of curiosity

                                Absolutely!

                                -Dave

                                I'd like to be part of that too, would love to see the system running again.

                                --
                                Dave McGuire, AK4HZ