a real Mensch <3 the 6502

  • jeff_s_jonas
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 7, 2013
      The 6502 ain't dead. Far from it!
      MARCH has a Mensch Computer, next to the PET!

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_Design_Center
      The Western Design Center (WDC), located in Mesa, Arizona, USA, is a company developing and manufacturing MOS 65xx-based microprocessors, microcontrollers (µCs), and related support devices. WDC was founded in 1978 by co-holder of the MOS Technology 6502 patent, Bill Mensch, himself a former MOS Technology employee.

      http://www.westerndesigncenter.com/wdc/
      65xx - Embedded Intelligence Technology
      Welcome, to The Western Design Center, Inc. (WDC), home of the 65xx brand CMOS microprocessors. You are invited to learn more about us, our products and our support for your 65xx brand embedded microprocessor PCB, ASIC and/or FPGA product development.

      "Legendary 65xx microprocessors keep on cranking!"

      The legendary 65xx brand microprocessors with both 8-bit and 8/16-bit ISAs keep cranking out the unit volumes in ASIC and standard microcontroller forms supplied by WDC and WDC.s licensees. Annual volumes in the hundreds (100.s) of millions of units keep adding in a significant way to the estimated shipped volumes of five (5) to ten (10) billion units. With 200MHz+ 8-bit W65C02S and 100MHz+ 8/16-bit W65C816S processors coming on line in ASIC and FPGA forms, we see these annual volumes continuing for a long, long time.

      The 65xx brand is probably the only processor family that has remained loyal to its ISA over the last 33 years. In addition it has served the widest spectrum of electronic markets through those years. For example, it has served and in some cases created markets for the PC, video game, toy, communication, industrial control, automotive, life support embedded in the human body medical devices, outside the body medical systems, engineering education systems, hobby systems, and you name it electronic market segments. I might add the 65xx has served in a highly reliable and successful way!

      65xx - Yesterday, Today, and Tomorrow.

      http://www.westerndesigncenter.com/wdc/Mensch_Computer.cfm
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mensch_Computer

      The Mensch Computer is a computer system based on the WDC 65C265 microcontroller (which implements both the 16-bit instruction set of the W65C816/65816 microprocessor, as well as the 8-bit instruction set of the 6502 microprocessor) and produced by the Western Design Center. The computer system is named after Bill Mensch, designer of the 6502 and subsequent series of microprocessor.
    • Bob Schwier
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 7, 2013

        The 6502 ain't dead. Far from it!
        MARCH has a Mensch Computer, next to the PET!

        Looks neat but at $900, pricier than I can deal with at the moment.
        bs

        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 7, 2013
          >> MARCH has a Mensch Computer

          We know that already. :)

          Bill Mensch included it with the signed 6502s that he sent us for fundraising at the East 8.0.
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 7, 2013
            On 10/07/2013 05:39 AM, jeff_s_jonas@... wrote:
            > The 6502 ain't dead. Far from it!

            Also, it seems a lot of people are unaware that there's a 6502 in the
            middle of at least one current HP calculator, the 35S.

            Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
            New Kensington, PA
          • bobk2ut
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 7, 2013
              Calculators?  Pfft... Bender uses a 6502, as does the Terminator!

              Bob
              Coding the 6502 for 35+ years

              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 7, 2013
                My point was, of course, that the 35S is quite a bit newer than both
                of those designs. ;)

                -Dave

                --
                Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 7, 2013
                  > Calculators? Pfft... Bender uses a 6502, as does the Terminator!

                  Good point.
                • Matt Patoray
                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 7, 2013

                    Sent from my iPhone

                    On Oct 7, 2013, at 2:21 PM, Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:

                    > Calculators? Pfft... Bender uses a 6502, as does the Terminator!

                    Good point.

                    As does the Macintosh IIfx 2 of them running at 12.5 mHz as serial controllers.

                    Matt