Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Introduction/Small wanted list

Expand Messages
  • connorwk1
    Hi all I m new to the group here. Probably not best to introduce myself then give a list of computers I m looking for but here it goes. My name is Connor, I m
    Message 1 of 26 , Oct 6, 2013
    • 0 Attachment
      Hi all I'm new to the group here.
      Probably not best to introduce myself then give a list of computers I'm
      looking for but here it goes.
      My name is Connor, I'm 16, left high school to start college (currently
      in college), and I'm collecting computers older then me.
      I've been known to carry old computers around my college campus for fun
      and I've been running out of room in this small room of mine.
      That's probably all I have to say about myself.
      Oh and I live in the north east corner of Maryland.
      Anyway onto the computers I am looking for (since they are either over
      priced on ebay or I can't find them there).
      I am looking for:
      A Commodore 64 (a floppy drive with it would be awesome too)
      An IBM PS/2 Model 25
      A Kaypro machine (don't have any yet so really any model would make me
      happy)
      And an IBM system/36 5362 (sort-of kidding about this one as I doubt
      anyone would have one let alone have one they would be willing to sell,
      though I do wish to acquire one eventually)

      These machines do not need to be working or complete but I would prefer
      them complete over non-functioning as I have fun fixing them. (Also
      nicer condition is always preferable too :) )

      I'm glad to be apart of the group and I hope some of you can help me
      with my small wanted list.
      Oh and I hope to see some of you at Festivus! :D
    • J. Alexander Jacocks
      ... Connor, Welcome to the group! It sounds like you ll fit in quite well, here. I got started with vintage electronics in a very similar way, though I didn t
      Message 2 of 26 , Oct 7, 2013
      • 0 Attachment
        On Sunday, October 6, 2013, wrote:
         

        Hi all I'm new to the group here.
        Probably not best to introduce myself then give a list of computers I'm
        looking for but here it goes.
        My name is Connor, I'm 16, left high school to start college (currently
        in college), and I'm collecting computers older then me.
        I've been known to carry old computers around my college campus for fun
        and I've been running out of room in this small room of mine.
        That's probably all I have to say about myself.
        Oh and I live in the north east corner of Maryland.
        Anyway onto the computers I am looking for (since they are either over
        priced on ebay or I can't find them there).
        I am looking for:
        A Commodore 64 (a floppy drive with it would be awesome too)
        An IBM PS/2 Model 25
        A Kaypro machine (don't have any yet so really any model would make me
        happy)
        And an IBM system/36 5362 (sort-of kidding about this one as I doubt
        anyone would have one let alone have one they would be willing to sell,
        though I do wish to acquire one eventually)

        These machines do not need to be working or complete but I would prefer
        them complete over non-functioning as I have fun fixing them. (Also
        nicer condition is always preferable too :) )

        I'm glad to be apart of the group and I hope some of you can help me
        with my small wanted list.
        Oh and I hope to see some of you at Festivus! :D


         Connor,

        Welcome to the group!  It sounds like you'll fit in quite well, here.

        I got started with vintage electronics in a very similar way, though I didn't manage to get into college at 16.  Universities are fantastic places to find odd cast-off electronics.

        I also live in northeast Maryland, specifically in Queenstown.  And, I happen to have a spare C64.  So, if you want to meet up some time, let me know.

        - Alex
      • Dave McGuire
        ... Hey! Good to see some youngn s here. ;) Most of us are old farts! ... I have a 5360 here, but it ll be STAYING here. ;) Aside from that, though...I have
        Message 3 of 26 , Oct 7, 2013
        • 0 Attachment
          On 10/06/2013 11:06 PM, connork@... wrote:
          > Hi all I'm new to the group here.
          > Probably not best to introduce myself then give a list of computers I'm
          > looking for but here it goes.
          > My name is Connor, I'm 16, left high school to start college (currently
          > in college), and I'm collecting computers older then me.
          > I've been known to carry old computers around my college campus for fun
          > and I've been running out of room in this small room of mine.
          > That's probably all I have to say about myself.
          > Oh and I live in the north east corner of Maryland.
          > Anyway onto the computers I am looking for (since they are either over
          > priced on ebay or I can't find them there).

          Hey! Good to see some youngn's here. ;) Most of us are old farts!

          > I am looking for:
          > A Commodore 64 (a floppy drive with it would be awesome too)
          > An IBM PS/2 Model 25
          > A Kaypro machine (don't have any yet so really any model would make me
          > happy)
          > And an IBM system/36 5362 (sort-of kidding about this one as I doubt
          > anyone would have one let alone have one they would be willing to sell,
          > though I do wish to acquire one eventually)

          I have a 5360 here, but it'll be STAYING here. ;) Aside from that,
          though...I have seen 5362s pop up on eBay from time to time. They're
          not very common, but they're around, so don't give up just yet!

          > These machines do not need to be working or complete but I would prefer
          > them complete over non-functioning as I have fun fixing them. (Also
          > nicer condition is always preferable too :) )
          >
          > I'm glad to be apart of the group and I hope some of you can help me
          > with my small wanted list.
          > Oh and I hope to see some of you at Festivus! :D

          Seeya there!

          -Dave

          --
          Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
          New Kensington, PA
        • connorwk1
          ... Hah well I m glad the older folks are there otherwise who would I learn from? I for one am not that knowledgeable about all these old machines yet ;) I
          Message 4 of 26 , Oct 7, 2013
          • 0 Attachment

             

            ---In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, <midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

            >Hey! Good to see some youngn's here. ;) Most of us are old farts!

            Hah well I'm glad the older folks are there otherwise who would I learn from? I for one am not that knowledgeable about all these old machines yet ;)

            >I have a 5360 here, but it'll be STAYING here. ;) Aside from that,
            >though...I have seen 5362s pop up on eBay from time to time. They're
            >not very common, but they're around, so don't give up just yet!

            Hah well I'd love to see the Model 5360 some time ;)
            I know they have popped up on ebay... One recently in texas, starting bid one dollar... but pickup only...
            And the seller put it up and took it down and put it up and took it down again... Even if I was able to win it I'd have no way of getting it yet, as I don't get my license till November... I am keeping my eye out though!
            Honestly any system/36 would be fun to have but I think the 5362 is probably the best as it is more common then the 5320 and more manageable space wise, although if I could get my hands on a 5320 I'd make the space for it ;)

          • Mike Loewen
            ... I only had space for the 5360 control panel: http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/Panels/Sys36-2L.jpg Mike Ross brought a 5362 to VCF 3 and 4:
            Message 5 of 26 , Oct 7, 2013
            • 0 Attachment
              On Mon, 7 Oct 2013, connork@... wrote:

              > >I have a 5360 here, but it'll be STAYING here. ;) Aside from that,
              > >though...I have seen 5362s pop up on eBay from time to time. They're
              > >not very common, but they're around, so don't give up just yet!
              >
              > Hah well I'd love to see the Model 5360 some time ;)
              > I know they have popped up on ebay... One recently in texas, starting bid one dollar... but
              > pickup only...
              > And the seller put it up and took it down and put it up and took it down again... Even if I was
              > able to win it I'd have no way of getting it yet, as I don't get my license till November... I
              > am keeping my eye out though!
              > Honestly any system/36 would be fun to have but I think the 5362 is probably the best as it is
              > more common then the 5320 and more manageable space wise, although if I could get my hands on a
              > 5320 I'd make the space for it ;)

              I only had space for the 5360 control panel:

              http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/Panels/Sys36-2L.jpg

              Mike Ross brought a 5362 to VCF 3 and 4:

              http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/VCF-East2006/dscn4125-f.jpg
              http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/VCFEast-2007/dscn5088L.jpg


              Mike Loewen mloewen@...
              Old Technology http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/
            • Mike Loewen
              ... Oops, that should be 5360. Mike Loewen mloewen@cpumagic.scol.pa.us Old Technology http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/
              Message 6 of 26 , Oct 7, 2013
              • 0 Attachment
                On Mon, 7 Oct 2013, Mike Loewen wrote:

                > Mike Ross brought a 5362 to VCF 3 and 4:

                Oops, that should be 5360.

                Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                Old Technology http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/
              • connorwk1
                ... http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/Panels/Sys36-2L.jpg Heh, still a cool collection piece! ...
                Message 7 of 26 , Oct 7, 2013
                • 0 Attachment

                   

                  ---In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, <midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                  >I only had space for the 5360 control panel:
                  >
                  http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/Panels/Sys36-2L.jpg

                  Heh, still a cool collection piece!

                  >Mike Ross brought a 5362 to VCF 3 and 4:
                  >
                  http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/VCF-East2006/dscn4125-f.jpg
                  >
                  http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/VCFEast-2007/dscn5088L.jpg

                  Thats awesome! Wouldn't mind looking at and in that thing for an entire day heh...
                • Dave McGuire
                  ... Sadly that particular one is on the other side of the world now. I don t know if MARCH has one yet. Lacking that, it s a bit of a hike, but you re
                  Message 8 of 26 , Oct 7, 2013
                  • 0 Attachment
                    On 10/07/2013 02:57 PM, connork@... wrote:
                    >>Mike Ross brought a 5362 to VCF 3 and 4:
                    >> http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/VCF-East2006/dscn4125-f.jpg
                    >> http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/VCFEast-2007/dscn5088L.jpg
                    >
                    > Thats awesome! Wouldn't mind looking at and in that thing for an entire
                    > day heh...

                    Sadly that particular one is on the other side of the world now. I
                    don't know if MARCH has one yet. Lacking that, it's a bit of a hike,
                    but you're welcome to come ogle mine.

                    Dan Roganti and I were at the very end of the sequence to crack the
                    login password, when the +12V power supply crapped out. I have the
                    schematics; it's on my "to-fix" list. I'll have it running sometime
                    before too long.

                    -Dave

                    --
                    Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                    New Kensington, PA
                  • Evan Koblentz
                    ... We don t. We * do * have a System /38, System /3, and a couple of smaller/newer /36s. I m not sure exactly which models. Young Connor, you are in for a
                    Message 9 of 26 , Oct 7, 2013
                    • 0 Attachment
                      > I don't know if MARCH has one yet.

                      We don't.

                      We * do * have a System /38, System /3, and a couple of smaller/newer
                      /36s. I'm not sure exactly which models.

                      Young Connor, you are in for a shock if you think our museum is all
                      small stuff. :)

                      PS, re: all of the pizza comments -- our new favorite place happens to
                      be called "Luke's" -- true story. Not only is their pizza much better
                      than the greasy food at the place where we used to order, but, the force
                      is with them!
                    • connorwk1
                      ... Alright I ll keep that in mind ;) ... I wish you luck with fixing it! If you need any help or a second pair of eyes I d be more then glad to help if I have
                      Message 10 of 26 , Oct 7, 2013
                      • 0 Attachment
                        ---In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, <midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                        >Sadly that particular one is on the other side of the world now. I
                        >don't know if MARCH has one yet. Lacking that, it's a bit of a hike,
                        >but you're welcome to come ogle mine.

                        Alright I'll keep that in mind ;)

                        >Dan Roganti and I were at the very end of the sequence to crack the
                        >login password, when the +12V power supply crapped out. I have the
                        >schematics; it's on my "to-fix" list. I'll have it running sometime
                        >before too long.

                        I wish you luck with fixing it! If you need any help or a second pair of eyes I'd be more then glad to help if I have the time to!

                        ---In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, <midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                        >We don't.

                        Sure you'll acquire one eventually :)

                        >We * do * have a System /38, System /3, and a couple of smaller/newer
                        >/36s. I'm not sure exactly which models.
                        >
                        >Young Connor, you are in for a shock if you think our museum is all
                        >small stuff. :)

                        Heh I didn't think all you had were small computers.
                        In the FAQ you made it pretty clear you specialize in older and bigger machines not some silly old pentium IIIs. I can't wait to come see them all! I just hope I can take a close look at them and see how they worked instead of being 10 feet behind a rope so all I can see is the metal outer shell (although just getting to see them in person is an honor all in itself, so I should probably keep my hopes down heh).

                        >PS, re: all of the pizza comments -- our new favorite place happens to
                        >be called "Luke's" -- true story. Not only is their pizza much better
                        >than the greasy food at the place where we used to order, but, the force
                        >is with them!

                        Heh awesome.
                        Does that mean they have gluten free too?
                      • Evan Koblentz
                        ... Doubtful.
                        Message 11 of 26 , Oct 7, 2013
                        • 0 Attachment
                          >> Does that mean they have gluten free too?

                          Doubtful.
                        • connorwk1
                          Message 12 of 26 , Oct 7, 2013
                          • 0 Attachment

                             

                            ---In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, <midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                            >> Does that mean they have gluten free too?

                            >Doubtful.

                            Alright just wondering heh.
                          • Dan Roganti
                            ... yea, you better call me when we re ready to attack it again Nothing like sitting on the edge of curiosity Dan
                            Message 13 of 26 , Oct 7, 2013
                            • 0 Attachment

                              On Mon, Oct 7, 2013 at 2:59 PM, Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> wrote:
                              On 10/07/2013 02:57 PM, connork@... wrote:
                              >>Mike Ross brought a 5362 to VCF 3 and 4:
                              >> http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/VCF-East2006/dscn4125-f.jpg
                              >> http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/VCFEast-2007/dscn5088L.jpg
                              >
                              > Thats awesome! Wouldn't mind looking at and in that thing for an entire
                              > day heh...

                                Sadly that particular one is on the other side of the world now.  I
                              don't know if MARCH has one yet.  Lacking that, it's a bit of a hike,
                              but you're welcome to come ogle mine.

                                Dan Roganti and I were at the very end of the sequence to crack the
                              login password, when the +12V power supply crapped out.  I have the
                              schematics; it's on my "to-fix" list.  I'll have it running sometime
                              before too long.



                              yea, you better call me when we're ready to attack it again
                              Nothing like sitting on the edge of curiosity  

                              Dan


                            • Cory Smelosky
                              ... But not all for sure. ;) ... The System/36 looks like a neat box. I d be surprised if you only had one. ;) ... -- Cory Smelosky http://gewt.net Personal
                              Message 14 of 26 , Oct 7, 2013
                              • 0 Attachment
                                On Mon, 7 Oct 2013, Dave McGuire wrote:

                                > On 10/06/2013 11:06 PM, connork@... wrote:
                                >> Hi all I'm new to the group here.
                                >> Probably not best to introduce myself then give a list of computers I'm
                                >> looking for but here it goes.
                                >> My name is Connor, I'm 16, left high school to start college (currently
                                >> in college), and I'm collecting computers older then me.
                                >> I've been known to carry old computers around my college campus for fun
                                >> and I've been running out of room in this small room of mine.
                                >> That's probably all I have to say about myself.
                                >> Oh and I live in the north east corner of Maryland.
                                >> Anyway onto the computers I am looking for (since they are either over
                                >> priced on ebay or I can't find them there).
                                >
                                > Hey! Good to see some youngn's here. ;) Most of us are old farts!
                                >

                                But not all for sure. ;)

                                >> I am looking for:
                                >> A Commodore 64 (a floppy drive with it would be awesome too)
                                >> An IBM PS/2 Model 25
                                >> A Kaypro machine (don't have any yet so really any model would make me
                                >> happy)
                                >> And an IBM system/36 5362 (sort-of kidding about this one as I doubt
                                >> anyone would have one let alone have one they would be willing to sell,
                                >> though I do wish to acquire one eventually)
                                >
                                > I have a 5360 here, but it'll be STAYING here. ;) Aside from that,
                                > though...I have seen 5362s pop up on eBay from time to time. They're
                                > not very common, but they're around, so don't give up just yet!
                                >

                                The System/36 looks like a neat box. I'd be surprised if you only had one.
                                ;)

                                >> These machines do not need to be working or complete but I would prefer
                                >> them complete over non-functioning as I have fun fixing them. (Also
                                >> nicer condition is always preferable too :) )
                                >>
                                >> I'm glad to be apart of the group and I hope some of you can help me
                                >> with my small wanted list.
                                >> Oh and I hope to see some of you at Festivus! :D
                                >
                                > Seeya there!
                                >
                                > -Dave
                                >
                                >

                                --
                                Cory Smelosky
                                http://gewt.net Personal stuff
                                http://gimme-sympathy.org Projects
                              • Dave McGuire
                                ... They are. But they re little-known and underappreciated by the technical world. There are very few in private hands, I d say less than twenty of all
                                Message 15 of 26 , Oct 7, 2013
                                • 0 Attachment
                                  On 10/07/2013 05:50 PM, Cory Smelosky wrote:
                                  >>> And an IBM system/36 5362 (sort-of kidding about this one as I doubt
                                  >>> anyone would have one let alone have one they would be willing to sell,
                                  >>> though I do wish to acquire one eventually)
                                  >>
                                  >> I have a 5360 here, but it'll be STAYING here. ;) Aside from that,
                                  >> though...I have seen 5362s pop up on eBay from time to time. They're
                                  >> not very common, but they're around, so don't give up just yet!
                                  >>
                                  >
                                  > The System/36 looks like a neat box. I'd be surprised if you only had one.

                                  They are. But they're little-known and underappreciated by the
                                  technical world.

                                  There are very few in private hands, I'd say less than twenty of all
                                  models. This is because the vast majority of them were leased, and IBM
                                  came and took them away at the end of the lease period, and either
                                  re-leased them or destroyed them. This effectively prevented the
                                  creation of any sort of secondary market for the hardware.

                                  -Dave

                                  --
                                  Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                                  New Kensington, PA
                                • Cory Smelosky
                                  ... That s unfortunate. :( That would mean I am aware of 2 of about 3 System/36 owners... -- Cory Smelosky http://gewt.net Personal stuff
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Oct 7, 2013
                                  • 0 Attachment
                                    On Mon, 7 Oct 2013, Dave McGuire wrote:

                                    > On 10/07/2013 05:50 PM, Cory Smelosky wrote:
                                    >>>> And an IBM system/36 5362 (sort-of kidding about this one as I doubt
                                    >>>> anyone would have one let alone have one they would be willing to sell,
                                    >>>> though I do wish to acquire one eventually)
                                    >>>
                                    >>> I have a 5360 here, but it'll be STAYING here. ;) Aside from that,
                                    >>> though...I have seen 5362s pop up on eBay from time to time. They're
                                    >>> not very common, but they're around, so don't give up just yet!
                                    >>>
                                    >>
                                    >> The System/36 looks like a neat box. I'd be surprised if you only had one.
                                    >
                                    > They are. But they're little-known and underappreciated by the
                                    > technical world.
                                    >
                                    > There are very few in private hands, I'd say less than twenty of all
                                    > models. This is because the vast majority of them were leased, and IBM
                                    > came and took them away at the end of the lease period, and either
                                    > re-leased them or destroyed them. This effectively prevented the
                                    > creation of any sort of secondary market for the hardware.
                                    >
                                    > -Dave
                                    >
                                    >

                                    That's unfortunate. :(

                                    That would mean I am aware of 2 of about 3 System/36 owners...

                                    --
                                    Cory Smelosky
                                    http://gewt.net Personal stuff
                                    http://gimme-sympathy.org Projects
                                  • Dave McGuire
                                    ... Yes. ... I personally know of four 5360s in private hands, though I m certain there are more, perhaps a dozen I d guess. Above I meant I d say less than
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Oct 7, 2013
                                    • 0 Attachment
                                      On 10/07/2013 05:57 PM, Cory Smelosky wrote:
                                      >>> The System/36 looks like a neat box. I'd be surprised if you only had one.
                                      >>
                                      >> They are. But they're little-known and underappreciated by the
                                      >> technical world.
                                      >>
                                      >> There are very few in private hands, I'd say less than twenty of all
                                      >> models. This is because the vast majority of them were leased, and IBM
                                      >> came and took them away at the end of the lease period, and either
                                      >> re-leased them or destroyed them. This effectively prevented the
                                      >> creation of any sort of secondary market for the hardware.
                                      >
                                      > That's unfortunate. :(

                                      Yes.

                                      > That would mean I am aware of 2 of about 3 System/36 owners...

                                      I personally know of four 5360s in private hands, though I'm certain
                                      there are more, perhaps a dozen I'd guess.

                                      Above I meant "I'd say less than twenty of the 5360 model", not of all
                                      sub-models like the 5362 etc. All told I'd guess there are less than
                                      50-75 in total.

                                      -Dave

                                      --
                                      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                                      New Kensington, PA
                                    • Cory Smelosky
                                      ... Including yours? ... That s not a lot at all. ... -- Cory Smelosky http://gewt.net Personal stuff http://gimme-sympathy.org Projects
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Oct 7, 2013
                                      • 0 Attachment
                                        On Mon, 7 Oct 2013, Dave McGuire wrote:

                                        > On 10/07/2013 05:57 PM, Cory Smelosky wrote:
                                        >>>> The System/36 looks like a neat box. I'd be surprised if you only had one.
                                        >>>
                                        >>> They are. But they're little-known and underappreciated by the
                                        >>> technical world.
                                        >>>
                                        >>> There are very few in private hands, I'd say less than twenty of all
                                        >>> models. This is because the vast majority of them were leased, and IBM
                                        >>> came and took them away at the end of the lease period, and either
                                        >>> re-leased them or destroyed them. This effectively prevented the
                                        >>> creation of any sort of secondary market for the hardware.
                                        >>
                                        >> That's unfortunate. :(
                                        >
                                        > Yes.
                                        >
                                        >> That would mean I am aware of 2 of about 3 System/36 owners...
                                        >
                                        > I personally know of four 5360s in private hands, though I'm certain
                                        > there are more, perhaps a dozen I'd guess.
                                        >

                                        Including yours?

                                        > Above I meant "I'd say less than twenty of the 5360 model", not of all
                                        > sub-models like the 5362 etc. All told I'd guess there are less than
                                        > 50-75 in total.
                                        >

                                        That's not a lot at all.

                                        > -Dave
                                        >
                                        >

                                        --
                                        Cory Smelosky
                                        http://gewt.net Personal stuff
                                        http://gimme-sympathy.org Projects
                                      • Dave McGuire
                                        ... Yes. ... No. For a very historically-important architecture, it really sucks. -Dave -- Dave McGuire, AK4HZ New Kensington, PA
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Oct 7, 2013
                                        • 0 Attachment
                                          On 10/07/2013 06:01 PM, Cory Smelosky wrote:
                                          >> I personally know of four 5360s in private hands, though I'm certain
                                          >> there are more, perhaps a dozen I'd guess.
                                          >
                                          > Including yours?

                                          Yes.

                                          >> Above I meant "I'd say less than twenty of the 5360 model", not of all
                                          >> sub-models like the 5362 etc. All told I'd guess there are less than
                                          >> 50-75 in total.
                                          >
                                          > That's not a lot at all.

                                          No. For a very historically-important architecture, it really sucks.

                                          -Dave

                                          --
                                          Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                                          New Kensington, PA
                                        • Cory Smelosky
                                          ... Huh. ... It certainly does. :( I can t find simulators either! -- Cory Smelosky http://gewt.net Personal stuff http://gimme-sympathy.org Projects
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Oct 7, 2013
                                          • 0 Attachment
                                            On Mon, 7 Oct 2013, Dave McGuire wrote:

                                            > On 10/07/2013 06:01 PM, Cory Smelosky wrote:
                                            >>> I personally know of four 5360s in private hands, though I'm certain
                                            >>> there are more, perhaps a dozen I'd guess.
                                            >>
                                            >> Including yours?
                                            >
                                            > Yes.
                                            >

                                            Huh.

                                            >>> Above I meant "I'd say less than twenty of the 5360 model", not of all
                                            >>> sub-models like the 5362 etc. All told I'd guess there are less than
                                            >>> 50-75 in total.
                                            >>
                                            >> That's not a lot at all.
                                            >
                                            > No. For a very historically-important architecture, it really sucks.
                                            >
                                            > -Dave
                                            >
                                            >

                                            It certainly does. :(

                                            I can't find simulators either!

                                            --
                                            Cory Smelosky
                                            http://gewt.net Personal stuff
                                            http://gimme-sympathy.org Projects
                                          • Dave McGuire
                                            ... You won t. I don t know of anyone who has even thought about writing one. People think of the architecture as uninteresting. That s usually because
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Oct 7, 2013
                                            • 0 Attachment
                                              On 10/07/2013 06:03 PM, Cory Smelosky wrote:
                                              >>>> Above I meant "I'd say less than twenty of the 5360 model", not of all
                                              >>>> sub-models like the 5362 etc. All told I'd guess there are less than
                                              >>>> 50-75 in total.
                                              >>>
                                              >>> That's not a lot at all.
                                              >>
                                              >> No. For a very historically-important architecture, it really sucks.
                                              >
                                              > It certainly does. :(
                                              >
                                              > I can't find simulators either!

                                              You won't. I don't know of anyone who has even thought about writing
                                              one. People think of the architecture as uninteresting. That's usually
                                              because they've never looked at it...it's VERY COOL.

                                              And it's an eight-bitter! ;)

                                              -Dave

                                              --
                                              Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                                              New Kensington, PA
                                            • Dave McGuire
                                              ... Absolutely! -Dave -- Dave McGuire, AK4HZ New Kensington, PA
                                              Message 22 of 26 , Oct 7, 2013
                                              • 0 Attachment
                                                On 10/07/2013 05:17 PM, Dan Roganti wrote:
                                                > Dan Roganti and I were at the very end of the sequence to crack the
                                                > login password, when the +12V power supply crapped out. I have the
                                                > schematics; it's on my "to-fix" list. I'll have it running sometime
                                                > before too long.
                                                >
                                                >
                                                >
                                                > yea, you better call me when we're ready to attack it again
                                                > Nothing like sitting on the edge of curiosity

                                                Absolutely!

                                                -Dave

                                                --
                                                Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                                                New Kensington, PA
                                              • Michael Thompson
                                                ... The RICM has a 5360 System/36, three 5362 Compact System/36, three 5363 System/36, and four 5364 Desktop System/36. We don t have a 5363-I. Michael
                                                Message 23 of 26 , Oct 7, 2013
                                                • 0 Attachment
                                                  Mon Oct 7, 2013 2:55 pm (PDT) . Posted by:      
                                                  They are. But they're little-known and underappreciated by the
                                                  technical world.

                                                  There are very few in private hands, I'd say less than twenty of all
                                                  models. This is because the vast majority of them were leased, and IBM
                                                  came and took them away at the end of the lease period, and either
                                                  re-leased them or destroyed them. This effectively prevented the
                                                  creation of any sort of secondary market for the hardware.

                                                  -Dave

                                                  --
                                                  Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                                                  New Kensington, PA


                                                  >
                                                  The RICM has a 5360 System/36, three 5362 Compact System/36, three 5363 System/36, and four 5364 Desktop System/36. We don't have a 5363-I.

                                                  Michael Thompson
                                                • Dave McGuire
                                                  ... Excellent! That makes five 5360s. I might have to try to talk you out of one or two of the 5364s. -Dave -- Dave McGuire, AK4HZ New Kensington, PA
                                                  Message 24 of 26 , Oct 7, 2013
                                                  • 0 Attachment
                                                    On 10/07/2013 07:42 PM, Michael Thompson wrote:
                                                    > They are. But they're little-known and underappreciated by the
                                                    > technical world.
                                                    >
                                                    > There are very few in private hands, I'd say less than twenty of all
                                                    > models. This is because the vast majority of them were leased, and IBM
                                                    > came and took them away at the end of the lease period, and either
                                                    > re-leased them or destroyed them. This effectively prevented the
                                                    > creation of any sort of secondary market for the hardware.
                                                    >
                                                    > The RICM has a 5360 System/36, three 5362 Compact System/36, three 5363
                                                    > System/36, and four 5364 Desktop System/36. We don't have a 5363-I.

                                                    Excellent! That makes five 5360s.

                                                    I might have to try to talk you out of one or two of the 5364s.

                                                    -Dave

                                                    --
                                                    Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                                                    New Kensington, PA
                                                  • Cory Smelosky
                                                    ... Give Dave multiple! I ll then talk him out of one. ;) -- Cory Smelosky http://gewt.net Personal stuff http://gimme-sympathy.org Projects
                                                    Message 25 of 26 , Oct 7, 2013
                                                    • 0 Attachment
                                                      On Mon, 7 Oct 2013, Dave McGuire wrote:

                                                      > On 10/07/2013 07:42 PM, Michael Thompson wrote:
                                                      >> They are. But they're little-known and underappreciated by the
                                                      >> technical world.
                                                      >>
                                                      >> There are very few in private hands, I'd say less than twenty of all
                                                      >> models. This is because the vast majority of them were leased, and IBM
                                                      >> came and took them away at the end of the lease period, and either
                                                      >> re-leased them or destroyed them. This effectively prevented the
                                                      >> creation of any sort of secondary market for the hardware.
                                                      >>
                                                      >> The RICM has a 5360 System/36, three 5362 Compact System/36, three 5363
                                                      >> System/36, and four 5364 Desktop System/36. We don't have a 5363-I.
                                                      >
                                                      > Excellent! That makes five 5360s.
                                                      >
                                                      > I might have to try to talk you out of one or two of the 5364s.
                                                      >
                                                      > -Dave
                                                      >
                                                      >

                                                      Give Dave multiple! I'll then talk him out of one. ;)

                                                      --
                                                      Cory Smelosky
                                                      http://gewt.net Personal stuff
                                                      http://gimme-sympathy.org Projects
                                                    • Matt Patoray
                                                      Sent from my iPhone ... I d like to be part of that too, would love to see the system running again.
                                                      Message 26 of 26 , Oct 7, 2013
                                                      • 0 Attachment


                                                        Sent from my iPhone

                                                        On Oct 7, 2013, at 6:22 PM, Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> wrote:

                                                         

                                                        On 10/07/2013 05:17 PM, Dan Roganti wrote:
                                                        > Dan Roganti and I were at the very end of the sequence to crack the
                                                        > login password, when the +12V power supply crapped out. I have the
                                                        > schematics; it's on my "to-fix" list. I'll have it running sometime
                                                        > before too long.
                                                        >
                                                        >
                                                        >
                                                        > yea, you better call me when we're ready to attack it again
                                                        > Nothing like sitting on the edge of curiosity

                                                        Absolutely!

                                                        -Dave


                                                        I'd like to be part of that too, would love to see the system running again.


                                                        --
                                                        Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                                                        New Kensington, PA

                                                      Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.