RE: Re: [midatlanticretro] MARCH Festivus party

  • jeff_s_jonas
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 4, 2013

      I'm admittedly biased concerning the Unix Wars of the 1980s since I worked at AT&T IS.

      I have the pins & swag to prove it:

      http://ferretronix.com/unigroup/201109/#unixwars

      The Unix Wars were

      the Archer Group (Unix International: AT&T, Sun & friends)

      vs. The Hamilton Group (OSF: Open Software Foundation: IBM, DEC and friends)

      NOT to be confused with later truly open software groups.

      ---In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, <midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      On 10/03/2013 10:49 AM, Christian Liendo wrote:
      > I have that book and I have not read it yet as I have little time for pleasure reading.
      >
      > This quote caught me
      > "Another drawback is the author's frequent implication that Amiga user communities were
      > more special than those devoted to other major platforms. For example, Maher argues that
      > programmers and users of Amiga hobby software had distribution and development paths
      > unique enough to be considered ancestors of the Linux revolution. It is easy to counter
      > that previous user communities from IBM Share to the Homebrew Computer Club were equally
      > or more influential to the present free software movement and that an Amiga-centric
      > underground shareware guild was matched by those devoted to rival platfomis from Apple to
      > Zenith."

      I agree with this statement wholeheartedly. First let me say
      that I was outside the Amiga community but not the Unix community. The
      Amiga community had as much to do with the Linux revolution as did the
      early SCO Unix or the AT&T Unix PC communities (they both did but not
      a huge impact when taken as an idividual group). The largest impact
      was from the BSD community. Much of that was shared on comp.sources.unix
      and the various communities would post the diffs to help make it work
      with others OSs. Usenet was the place to be from the mid 80's until
      the mid 90's. I don't think the Unix community actually called it
      shareware.

      For those that remember the times, there was the BSD community and the
      AT&T community (boy is that over simplification). The BSD community was
      very active, the AT&T community was also but the BSD community was huge
      in Universities. It is my opinion that if AT&T had not sued BSD Linux
      might not have been as big as it is. BSD was on the 386 before Linux but
      the uncertaintly over the legal standing of the 'open source' nature of
      BSD pushed folks to take a look at Linux.

      http://www.linuxha.com/ Main site
      http://linuxha.blogspot.com/ My HA Blog