Re: [midatlanticretro] MARCH Festivus party

    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 3, 2013
      On Oct 3, 2013, at 7:11 AM, Christian Liendo <christian_liendo@...> wrote:
      >> From: Evan Koblentz <evan@...>
      >> So far, all everyone says they prefer Dec. 14-15 (vs. Dec. 7-8).
      >

      > I will probably not be able to make it either.
      > They are changing the drilling dates this December and so I may be drilling on the second weekend.

      :-(

      --
      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
      New Kensington, PA
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 4, 2013

        I'm admittedly biased concerning the Unix Wars of the 1980s since I worked at AT&T IS.

        I have the pins & swag to prove it:

        http://ferretronix.com/unigroup/201109/#unixwars

        The Unix Wars were

        the Archer Group (Unix International: AT&T, Sun & friends)

        vs. The Hamilton Group (OSF: Open Software Foundation: IBM, DEC and friends)

        NOT to be confused with later truly open software groups.

        ---In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, <midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        On 10/03/2013 10:49 AM, Christian Liendo wrote:
        > I have that book and I have not read it yet as I have little time for pleasure reading.
        >
        > This quote caught me
        > "Another drawback is the author's frequent implication that Amiga user communities were
        > more special than those devoted to other major platforms. For example, Maher argues that
        > programmers and users of Amiga hobby software had distribution and development paths
        > unique enough to be considered ancestors of the Linux revolution. It is easy to counter
        > that previous user communities from IBM Share to the Homebrew Computer Club were equally
        > or more influential to the present free software movement and that an Amiga-centric
        > underground shareware guild was matched by those devoted to rival platfomis from Apple to
        > Zenith."

        I agree with this statement wholeheartedly. First let me say
        that I was outside the Amiga community but not the Unix community. The
        Amiga community had as much to do with the Linux revolution as did the
        early SCO Unix or the AT&T Unix PC communities (they both did but not
        a huge impact when taken as an idividual group). The largest impact
        was from the BSD community. Much of that was shared on comp.sources.unix
        and the various communities would post the diffs to help make it work
        with others OSs. Usenet was the place to be from the mid 80's until
        the mid 90's. I don't think the Unix community actually called it
        shareware.

        For those that remember the times, there was the BSD community and the
        AT&T community (boy is that over simplification). The BSD community was
        very active, the AT&T community was also but the BSD community was huge
        in Universities. It is my opinion that if AT&T had not sued BSD Linux
        might not have been as big as it is. BSD was on the 386 before Linux but
        the uncertaintly over the legal standing of the 'open source' nature of
        BSD pushed folks to take a look at Linux.

        http://www.linuxha.com/ Main site
        http://linuxha.blogspot.com/ My HA Blog