Club business: 1. new domain 2. request for ideas

  • Evan
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 20, 2005
      Hello MARCHers,

      Wow, it took me longer to unpack from TCF than to set up. (Did I say that
      in a prior email? I forget.)

      On to some important club business...

      1. Thanks to David Corbin and his wife, Debi, we (well, technically they)
      now own http://www.midatlanticretro.org -- it was registered through GoDaddy
      and is currently co-located on David's server in a Denver-area data center.
      Of course, there's no content yet. John Allain volunteered to be our
      webmaster.

      John wrote to me: "I'm a professional who has earned several years salary
      doing this. I can't promise the world but I won't charge anything for my
      time. A particular skill is knowing how to turn modern incompatible HTML to
      'easy to digest' forms for older browsers. All my database work has been in
      server-side SQL, not client based Java, which sounds like what you want."

      Why, yes, that sounds perfect. Seeing as no one else replied, John, you're
      hired. How's that for a ringing endorsement? :)

      Moreover, since Herb Johnson kindly donated $20 at our TCF dinner Saturday
      night, and David said the domain cost $17, let this email be the official
      record that I'm forwarding the money to David. It's well spent. David:
      take the extra three bucks and buy yourself somethin' nice. :)

      2. Like Johnny #5, we need input! We've already got ideas for a museum,
      swap meet, field trips, VCF sponsorship, etc., but more is always better.
      So keep 'em coming please. (This includes ideas about to DO with the
      aforementioned web site.) It also includes a call for volunteers of all
      sorts. Now that we have a webmaster, I suppose we could use someone who
      knows about marketing and PR. That person would be in charge of making the
      rest of civilization aware of our plans for world dominat... oops, sorry,
      that's my personal agenda! :) In fact, they'd be tasked with telling nerds
      everywhere about MARCH's existence. It would be good if the person was
      already familiar with local computer clubs (companies, too) throughout our
      mid-Atlantic turf. Anyone? Bueller...?

      3. Lastly, if there's some other specialized way you can help us, speak up.

      Evan Koblentz's personal homepage: www.snarc.net

      - 700 readers and no spam / Publishes every Monday / Write for us!