Re: [midatlanticretro] OT: Exercise for MARCHins! / was: Re: MARCH Festivus party

  • Christian Liendo
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 3, 2013
      On 10/02/2013 11:43 PM, Evan Koblentz wrote:
      > A non-sarcastic question: how do MARCHins stay healthy?

      I go to an MMA school in the city.. We do Kickboxing and Brazilian JuJitsu.

      Given the pain that I am in when leaving I don't know if you can consider that "healthy"
    • mwillega
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 3, 2013

         Over the last few years, I've been cycling a bit in the warmer weather.  This summer I've been averaging 50plus miles a week - spread over 3 or 4 days - no time for centuries here.  Bike riding in the cold is no fun, and I've usually gone to pot once the weather has changed.  This year,  as the weather has started to get chilly, I've switched out some of the bike rides for some slow jogs.  I have a ways to go before I can run any significant distance.  Right now I'm covering about 2.5 miles at a snail's pace.  We will see how the running goes, but it may help get me through the winter in better shape.

        regards,

        Mike W.

        ---In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, <ncherry@...> wrote:

        On 10/02/2013 11:43 PM, Evan Koblentz wrote:
        > A non-sarcastic question: how do MARCHins stay healthy?

        I ride a bicycle. I haven't been riding as much so I'm only doing 60 mile rides
        on the weekends. I hope to get back to doing 100 mile rides by November.

        I'm having trouble getting in my miles during the week but I do walk my
        dogs 3 to 4 times a day.

        I've also given up on a lot of sugar.

        http://www.linuxha.com/ Main site
        http://linuxha.blogspot.com/ My HA Blog
      • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 3, 2013
          Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:

          >> That's what I used to think. The half is 2.5 weeks away and I'm
          >> already pondering a whole one for next spring.
          >
          > That's very cool. I wish you the best of luck.

          >> If only you'd trained for it. ;)
          >
          > Too true. ;)
          >
          >> A non-sarcastic question: how do MARCHins stay healthy?
          >>
          >> I think it was Matthew W. who told me he's a runner too, as is
          >> MARCH/InfoAge's Frank O. (Apollo Guidance Computer guy) ... Matt P.
          >> is into body building ... Corey does kickboxing ... and Jeff B. is a
          >> black belt at Taekwondo ... any others?
          >
          > I type fast, sleep litte, and generally operate at a high stress
          >level. That's about as cardiovascular as I get.

          LOL! Me too and Guinness for Health! :)

        • corey986
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 3, 2013
            And don't forget my daily crazy Cross-Fit. How else am I going to prepare for the zombie apocalypse. I don't have to be fast, just faster than the next guy and able to keep it up for longer.Kick boxing is only two days a week that I do more for stress relief. Who doesn't like to picture someone's face on a heavy bag and then kick it.Cheers, Corey
          • Neil Cherry
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 3, 2013
              On 10/03/2013 09:02 AM, corey986 wrote:
              > And don't forget my daily crazy Cross-Fit. How else am I going to prepare for the zombie
              > apocalypse.

              Rule 1: Cardio
              Rule 2: Double Tap!

              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 3, 2013
                On 10/03/2013 07:34 AM, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:
                >>> A non-sarcastic question: how do MARCHins stay healthy?
                >>>
                >>> I think it was Matthew W. who told me he's a runner too, as is
                >>> MARCH/InfoAge's Frank O. (Apollo Guidance Computer guy) ... Matt P.
                >>> is into body building ... Corey does kickboxing ... and Jeff B. is a
                >>> black belt at Taekwondo ... any others?
                >>
                >> I type fast, sleep litte, and generally operate at a high stress
                >> level. That's about as cardiovascular as I get.
                >
                > LOL! Me too and Guinness for Health! :)

                Yes! Lots of vitamins and minerals in Guinness.

                Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                New Kensington, PA
              • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 3, 2013
                  Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:

                  >>> I type fast, sleep litte, and generally operate at a high stress
                  >>> level. That's about as cardiovascular as I get.
                  >>
                  >> LOL! Me too and Guinness for Health! :)
                  >
                  > Yes! Lots of vitamins and minerals in Guinness.

                  Vitamin G is the best! :)

                  I do get exercise lugging the kegs of Guinness up and down the stairs, and
                  to and from the vehicle to the supplier. Does that count? 50 Litres gets
                  to be pretty heavy! I also do regular arm curls 16 oz. at a shot! :)

                  There is some exercise in hauling and moving computer kit about too but I
                  tend to not do that as often as the 16 oz. arm curls!