Re: [midatlanticretro] MARCH Festivus party

    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 2, 2013
      On 10/02/2013 11:16 PM, Evan Koblentz wrote:
      >>> And this from a journalist! Too much caffeine today? Or not enough? ;)
      >
      > Exhaustion. Ran 9 miles this morning and then drove 45 minutes each way to the museum.

      Holy crap. Who was chasing you??

      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 2, 2013
        >> Holy crap. Who was chasing you??

        Death, old age, and taxes.

        About 18 months ago I started running a few times per week. Good exercise! Also stopped drinking 2-3 Cokes per day. Lost 25 pounds so far. Moreover, distance running is fun. Currently training for a half-marathon on Oct. 20.

        Alas, it hasn't made my hair grow back. :(
        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 2, 2013
          On 10/02/2013 11:28 PM, Evan Koblentz wrote:
          >>> Holy crap. Who was chasing you??
          >
          > Death, old age, and taxes.

          Uh-oh.

          > About 18 months ago I started running a few times per week. Good
          > exercise! Also stopped drinking 2-3 Cokes per day. Lost 25 pounds so
          > far. Moreover, distance running is fun. Currently training for a
          > half-marathon on Oct. 20.

          Fear!!

          My local friends Alex and Becky ran their first marathon earlier this
          year. I'd never in a million years be doing something like that, and my
          cardiologist friend Eric shakes his head and says, "no, no, NO, humans
          were NOT built for doing that!" ....but I was proud of them anyway.

          > Alas, it hasn't made my hair grow back. :(

          I think there's not much hope of that, man. But hey, your head throws
          a nice glare! [dave runs for cover]

          Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
          New Kensington, PA
        • Christian Liendo
          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 3, 2013
            > From: Evan Koblentz <evan@...>
            > So far, all everyone says they prefer Dec. 14-15 (vs. Dec. 7-8).

            I will probably not be able to make it either.
            They are changing the drilling dates this December and so I may be drilling on the second weekend.
          • Kelly D. Leavitt
            Message 5 of 15 , Oct 3, 2013
              > Kelly: Sorry bud ... we'll have to go with the overwhelming majority.

              Getting to be a running gag. When's Festivus... Let's see, when is Kelly's other holiday party... :-)

              I like you guys, but a 15 minute drive to a 5 hour catered affair with open bar and DJ trumps a 2 hour drive to have beer, pizza and wings. At least I won't have to participate in "Feats of Strength". However, since the one I am attending is a company party I'm sure there will be "Airing of Grievenaces".

              Have fun!

              Kelly

              PS: I run 2 miles every morning on a treadmill. If you're as fat as I am and work a sedentary job you have to get cardio somewhere. Gives me time to catch up on "Stuff you should know" and "CarTalk" podcasts.

              PPS By the end of December I should be able to tell you all when next year's Festivus is. I'll send an email when we have the date for Lion's party.
            • Christian Liendo
              Message 6 of 15 , Oct 3, 2013
                I have that book and I have not read it yet as I have little time for pleasure reading.

                This quote caught me
                "Another drawback is the author's frequent implication that Amiga user communities were more special than those devoted to other major platforms. For example, Maher argues that programmers and users of Amiga hobby software had distribution and development paths unique enough to be considered ancestors of the Linux revolution. It is easy to counter that previous user communities from IBM Share to the Homebrew Computer Club were equally or more influential to the present free software movement and that an Amiga-centric underground shareware guild was matched by those devoted to rival platfomis from Apple to Zenith."

                The Amiga was rather "unix" like compared to the other machines.. There were multiple shells like BASH and there was a very early TCP/IP Stack.. In fact the Commodore had the first SystemVr4 machine the A3000UX. Much of the non-video user base moved to linux and contributed much to that platform.
              • Neil Cherry
                Message 7 of 15 , Oct 3, 2013
                  On 10/03/2013 10:49 AM, Christian Liendo wrote:
                  > I have that book and I have not read it yet as I have little time for pleasure reading.
                  >
                  > This quote caught me
                  > "Another drawback is the author's frequent implication that Amiga user communities were
                  > more special than those devoted to other major platforms. For example, Maher argues that
                  > programmers and users of Amiga hobby software had distribution and development paths
                  > unique enough to be considered ancestors of the Linux revolution. It is easy to counter
                  > that previous user communities from IBM Share to the Homebrew Computer Club were equally
                  > or more influential to the present free software movement and that an Amiga-centric
                  > underground shareware guild was matched by those devoted to rival platfomis from Apple to
                  > Zenith."

                  I agree with this statement wholeheartedly. First let me say
                  that I was outside the Amiga community but not the Unix community. The
                  Amiga community had as much to do with the Linux revolution as did the
                  early SCO Unix or the AT&T Unix PC communities (they both did but not
                  a huge impact when taken as an idividual group). The largest impact
                  was from the BSD community. Much of that was shared on comp.sources.unix
                  and the various communities would post the diffs to help make it work
                  with others OSs. Usenet was the place to be from the mid 80's until
                  the mid 90's. I don't think the Unix community actually called it
                  shareware.

                  For those that remember the times, there was the BSD community and the
                  AT&T community (boy is that over simplification). The BSD community was
                  very active, the AT&T community was also but the BSD community was huge
                  in Universities. It is my opinion that if AT&T had not sued BSD Linux
                  might not have been as big as it is. BSD was on the 386 before Linux but
                  the uncertaintly over the legal standing of the 'open source' nature of
                  BSD pushed folks to take a look at Linux.

                  http://www.linuxha.com/ Main site
                  http://linuxha.blogspot.com/ My HA Blog
                  Message 8 of 15 , Oct 3, 2013
                    On 10/03/2013 09:00 AM, Kelly D. Leavitt wrote:
                    >> Kelly: Sorry bud ... we'll have to go with the overwhelming
                    >> majority.
                    >
                    > Getting to be a running gag. When's Festivus... Let's see, when is
                    > Kelly's other holiday party... :-)
                    >
                    > I like you guys, but a 15 minute drive to a 5 hour catered affair
                    > with open bar and DJ trumps a 2 hour drive to have beer, pizza and
                    > wings. At least I won't have to participate in "Feats of Strength".
                    > However, since the one I am attending is a company party I'm sure
                    > there will be "Airing of Grievenaces".

                    I've got a better idea. Fill up bottles at the open bar, and come to
                    Festivus with us!

                    > PS: I run 2 miles every morning on a treadmill. If you're as fat as I
                    > am and work a sedentary job you have to get cardio somewhere. Gives
                    > me time to catch up on "Stuff you should know" and "CarTalk"
                    > podcasts.

                    I get cardio when my heart starts pumping hard due to caffeiene and
                    workload.

                    Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                    Message 9 of 15 , Oct 3, 2013
                      On Oct 3, 2013, at 7:11 AM, Christian Liendo <christian_liendo@...> wrote:
                      >> From: Evan Koblentz <evan@...>
                      >> So far, all everyone says they prefer Dec. 14-15 (vs. Dec. 7-8).
                      >

                      > I will probably not be able to make it either.
                      > They are changing the drilling dates this December and so I may be drilling on the second weekend.

                      :-(

                      --
                      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                      New Kensington, PA
                      Message 10 of 15 , Oct 4, 2013

                        I'm admittedly biased concerning the Unix Wars of the 1980s since I worked at AT&T IS.

                        I have the pins & swag to prove it:

                        http://ferretronix.com/unigroup/201109/#unixwars

                        The Unix Wars were

                        the Archer Group (Unix International: AT&T, Sun & friends)

                        vs. The Hamilton Group (OSF: Open Software Foundation: IBM, DEC and friends)

                        NOT to be confused with later truly open software groups.