Re: [midatlanticretro] Friday tech lectures @ VCF East?

  • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 1, 2013
      Randall Kindig <randall.kindig@...> writes:

      >Evan, although I'm not 100% committed to coming yet, I'm pushing my
      >significant other hard about going to VCF East. In my case, I would be
      >willing, and likely would, go early to attend Friday sessions since I'm
      >coming from so far away anyway (Indianapolis). For me it would depend on
      >exactly what was being covered and in what detail. For instance, I've
      >always wanted to learn how to solder so I could repair and/or enhance
      >vintage machines. Or, building a replica machine. There are many topics I
      >would be interested in attending.

      You should have attended Maker Faire. Radio Shack was teaching people how
      to solder! :P

    • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 1, 2013
        Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:

        >> Haha well don't push TOO hard.
        >
        > No. Push HARD. Very hard.

        This is eroding quickly.

        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 1, 2013
          On 10/01/2013 03:44 PM, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:

          >>> Haha well don't push TOO hard.
          >>
          >> No. Push HARD. Very hard.
          >
          > This is eroding quickly.

          ;)

          --
          Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
          New Kensington, PA
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 1, 2013
            yes, the topic is starting to droop into the toilet :)  Let's just say I'm begging my wife to make me happy (by going to the show of course!)

            On Tue, Oct 1, 2013 at 3:45 PM, Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> wrote:

            >>> Haha well don't push TOO hard.
            >>
            >> No. Push HARD. Very hard.
            >
            > This is eroding quickly.

            ;)

            --
            Dave McGuire, AK4HZ

            Randy
          • mwillega
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 1, 2013

               Hi all,

              Friday morning would be difficult for me, I don't think I'd want to add another overnight stay and the drive from Massachusetts seems to take seven hours at my speed.  That said, sessions in the afternoon would be a no-brainer.

              ---In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, <midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

              Guys,

              ** Hypothetically ** ... if we add Friday to the VCF East schedule, and
              if we fill that day with awesome how-to sessions, would you take the
              extra day off work / travel / attend?

              Sessions would probably be skills-based, not machine-based, because
              there are so many different interests/brands that we couldn't please
              everyone -- that is why we have beginner's classes during the main part
              of the show (Apple II for Dummies, etc.)

              For example, on Friday there could be how-to classes on subjects such as
              o-scopes, power supplies, cosmetic restoration, assembly programming,
              memory, disk drives, teletype machines, etc.

              We'd want to hear "I'll be there!" from a bunch of people before we
              commit to this idea. VCF East is MARCH's major annual fundraiser, so
              there is some risk involved if we open a third day and not enough people go.

              At least one high-ranking MARCHin -- I'm not saying who! :) -- told me,
              "Nobody wants to sit through classes all day". I respectfully disagree.

              This would be a morning/afternoon schedule. That way, people can set up
              their exhibits, consignment sales, etc. in the evening.

              Constructive comments encouraged! :)
            • Jeffrey Brace
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 1, 2013