Friday tech lectures @ VCF East?

    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 30, 2013
      Guys,

      ** Hypothetically ** ... if we add Friday to the VCF East schedule, and
      if we fill that day with awesome how-to sessions, would you take the
      extra day off work / travel / attend?

      Sessions would probably be skills-based, not machine-based, because
      there are so many different interests/brands that we couldn't please
      everyone -- that is why we have beginner's classes during the main part
      of the show (Apple II for Dummies, etc.)

      For example, on Friday there could be how-to classes on subjects such as
      o-scopes, power supplies, cosmetic restoration, assembly programming,
      memory, disk drives, teletype machines, etc.

      We'd want to hear "I'll be there!" from a bunch of people before we
      commit to this idea. VCF East is MARCH's major annual fundraiser, so
      there is some risk involved if we open a third day and not enough people go.

      At least one high-ranking MARCHin -- I'm not saying who! :) -- told me,
      "Nobody wants to sit through classes all day". I respectfully disagree.

      This would be a morning/afternoon schedule. That way, people can set up
      their exhibits, consignment sales, etc. in the evening.

      Constructive comments encouraged! :)
    • Dan Roganti
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 1, 2013

        On Tue, Oct 1, 2013 at 1:53 AM, Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:
        Guys,

        ** Hypothetically ** ... if we add Friday to the VCF East schedule, and
        if we fill that day with awesome how-to sessions, would you take the
        extra day off work / travel / attend?

        YES !!
      • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 1, 2013
          Evan Koblentz <evan@...> writes:

          >Guys,
          >
          >** Hypothetically ** ... if we add Friday to the VCF East schedule, and
          >if we fill that day with awesome how-to sessions, would you take the
          >extra day off work / travel / attend?
          >
          >Sessions would probably be skills-based, not machine-based, because
          >there are so many different interests/brands that we couldn't please
          >everyone -- that is why we have beginner's classes during the main part
          >of the show (Apple II for Dummies, etc.)
          >
          >For example, on Friday there could be how-to classes on subjects such as
          >o-scopes, power supplies, cosmetic restoration, assembly programming,
          -------------------------------------------------^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

          For which instruction set?

        • Randall Kindig

            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 1, 2013
              >> I'm pushing my significant other hard about going to VCF East.

              Haha well don't push TOO hard.
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 1, 2013
                On 10/01/2013 03:40 PM, Evan Koblentz wrote:
                >>> I'm pushing my significant other hard about going to VCF East.
                >
                > Haha well don't push TOO hard.

                No. Push HARD. Very hard.

                ;)

                Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                New Kensington, PA
              • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 1, 2013
                  Randall Kindig <randall.kindig@...> writes:

                  >Evan, although I'm not 100% committed to coming yet, I'm pushing my
                  >significant other hard about going to VCF East. In my case, I would be
                  >willing, and likely would, go early to attend Friday sessions since I'm
                  >coming from so far away anyway (Indianapolis). For me it would depend on
                  >exactly what was being covered and in what detail. For instance, I've
                  >always wanted to learn how to solder so I could repair and/or enhance
                  >vintage machines. Or, building a replica machine. There are many topics I
                  >would be interested in attending.

                  You should have attended Maker Faire. Radio Shack was teaching people how
                  to solder! :P

                • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 1, 2013
                    Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:

                    >> Haha well don't push TOO hard.
                    >
                    > No. Push HARD. Very hard.

                    This is eroding quickly.

                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 1, 2013
                      On 10/01/2013 03:44 PM, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:

                      >>> Haha well don't push TOO hard.
                      >>
                      >> No. Push HARD. Very hard.
                      >
                      > This is eroding quickly.

                      ;)

                      --
                      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                      New Kensington, PA
                      Message 10 of 12 , Oct 1, 2013
                        yes, the topic is starting to droop into the toilet :)  Let's just say I'm begging my wife to make me happy (by going to the show of course!)

                        On Tue, Oct 1, 2013 at 3:45 PM, Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> wrote:

                        >>> Haha well don't push TOO hard.
                        >>
                        >> No. Push HARD. Very hard.
                        >
                        > This is eroding quickly.