Re: [midatlanticretro] Any idea on expected crowd size at VCFe?

  • Jeffrey Frady
    Message 1 of 20 , May 2, 2006
      Well, since these are gonna be obese geeks.  Multiply the estimate by 2.

      On 02/05/06, Evan Koblentz <evan@... > wrote:
      That's a really, really, really difficult question to answer.

      To increase the chances of bring correct, I'll guess low and predict 75 attendees from the general public.

      If they're half adults and half children, then the average ticket price would be $8.50, which means we'd have attendee revenue of $637.50, which would be pretty nice!

      However I'm VERY cautiously optimistic that we'll see more than 100 people.

      Let's have a little contest.  Whoever guesses closest to the exact amount of general public attendees wins a six-pack of your favorite beverage.

      Message 2 of 20 , May 2, 2006
        > To increase the chances of bring correct, I'll guess low and predict 75
        > attendees from the general public.

        You're being very careful to make the distinction of "general public".
        As opposed to what?

        Andy
        Message 3 of 20 , May 2, 2006
          Just meant vs. the exhibitors, their assistants, volunteers, InfoAge people, etc.

          > To increase the chances of bring correct, I'll guess low and
          predict 75
          > attendees from the general public.

          You're being very careful to make the distinction of "general public".
          As opposed to what?

          Andy

        • ysgdhio
          Message 4 of 20 , May 2, 2006
            > Well, since these are gonna be obese geeks. Multiply the estimate by 2.

            If they're obese, wouldn't you divide by two?

            Andy
            Message 5 of 20 , May 2, 2006
              Working on exhibit...calling it a night. I am making good progress. I
              hope everyone else is chugging along as well.

              Kelly - how's your boot disk coming?

              Everyone - general status check.....?

              Take care,
              Bill D
            • Kelly Leavitt
              Message 6 of 20 , May 3, 2006
                Hey Bill!
                No, I still can't boot the Model I from any floppy I create. I do get "disk error", so I'm guessing that I have the drive configured wrong. I don't have an R/S drive, and none of my stock drives seem to work correctly. The garbage on the screen goes away though, so it is reading enough from the disk to get the clear the screen and show the error message.

                The big push for me right now is having some posters done and finishing the timeline itself. The model 16 boots into Xenix. I have several games for the CoCo and the model 4 and 4p. The model 12 runs LS-DOS and should be running CP/M before Friday. The 100, 102 and 200 all work. I also want to get a terminal or two connected to the Xenix box.

                Time's a wastin'
                Kelly

                Working on exhibit...calling it a night. I am making good progress. I
                hope everyone else is chugging along as well.

                Kelly - how's your boot disk coming?

                Everyone - general status check.....?

                Take care,
                Bill D

                Yahoo! Groups Links
              • Mike Loewen
                Message 7 of 20 , May 3, 2006
                  On Wed, 3 May 2006, Kelly Leavitt wrote:

                  > The big push for me right now is having some posters done and finishing
                  > the timeline itself. The model 16 boots into Xenix. I have several games
                  > for the CoCo and the model 4 and 4p. The model 12 runs LS-DOS and should
                  > be running CP/M before Friday. The 100, 102 and 200 all work. I also
                  > want to get a terminal or two connected to the Xenix box.

                  I have my Apple IIGS and IIe booting from my Linux server running
                  Netatalk, and my Documation card reader happily talking to a Windows
                  laptop via USB. I need to get the Kaypro 10 hooked up to the terminal
                  server, and do my posters. It will be ready. :-)

                  Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                • Sridhar Ayengar
                  Message 8 of 20 , May 3, 2006
                    Kelly Leavitt wrote:
> [...]

                    El Guapo, I know that I, Jefe, do not have your superior intellect and
                    education, but could it be that once again, you are angry at something
                    else, and are looking to take it out on me?

                    Peace... Sridhar
                  • ysgdhio
                    Message 9 of 20 , May 4, 2006
                      > Everyone - general status check.....?

                      I'm making good progress.
                      The systems are almost done.
                      Just need to finish loading the hard drive on the 800XL.

                      I did buy a display board, just not sure what to put on it.
                      I don't have any ephemera and even if I did, I wouldn't cut it up
                      for a display board.

                      Suggestions?

                      Andy
                    • Richard A. Cini
                      Message 10 of 20 , May 4, 2006
                        Actually, not to jinx, pretty good. 48-hour burn in on the front panel looks
                        good and I have a "table" setup here with all of my stuff on it so I can
                        practice setting up.

                        By the way, what's the prize (except for the usual personal satisfaction,
                        sharing info, etc.) for "Best of Show"?

                        Message 11 of 20 , May 4, 2006
                          You can use a display board all kinds of things -- the name / model / year of the computer(s), any special information about them, copies / printouts of original reviews (for example, at most college and county libraries they have magazines like Byte on microfilm), charts, screen captures if possible, any interesting technical data, etc. -- be creative!

                          Message 12 of 20 , May 4, 2006
                            interesting advertisements for peripherals, etc.?
                            Bill D

                            At 09:39 PM 5/4/2006 -0400, you wrote:
                            > > Everyone - general status check.....?
                            >
                            >I'm making good progress.
                            >The systems are almost done.
                            >Just need to finish loading the hard drive on the 800XL.
                            >
                            >I did buy a display board, just not sure what to put on it.
                            >I don't have any ephemera and even if I did, I wouldn't cut it up
                            >for a display board.
                            >
                            >Suggestions?
                            >
                            >Andy
                          • John Allain
                            Message 13 of 20 , May 5, 2006
                              > I don't have any ephemera and even if I did, I wouldn't cut it up
                              > for a display board. Suggestions?

                              Corelate Facts
                              Dates, Processor speeds, Disk capacities,
                              Price, Sales figures, competing products.
                              A timeline, a Moore's Law graph...

                              Big News articles clipped from the web (with attribution, Evan will be
                              watching)

                              John A.