re: [midatlanticretro] VCFMW, my experience

    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 30, 2013

      > I ribbed Bill Deg throughout the day that he too mailed it in, but Bill
      actually brought a neatly modified Commodore C116. The 64K modification
      made many games run too fast. Part of the fun was trying to play those
      games and not break the joystick and part of the fun was trying to figure
      out what worked on the SD card he had packed full of disk images. The
      absolute highlight was a handful of 1 bit sampled euro dance songs that we
      blared through a well worn 1702. It might not have been to Bill's normal
      standards as there was a glitch with the machine not displaying in color,
      but given the circumstances of being off our home turf it didn't take away
      from his exhibit (but certainly annoyed him).

      And of course the CM-141 monitor I tried worked perfectly, the color is
      just fine, using the same cable I had at VCF MW. Also works on my TV set
      / composite TV combo. Maybe it was Chicago electric.

      Anyhoo..commentary/pics

      Had a lot of fun goofing around with Justin, Mouse, Ian, Brad and his kids
      and everyone else. So many computers for sale. Just before I left Mike
      Lee and I torched a card on his IMSAI 8080. Oops. I should have known
      better and took all of the cards out first but I was late for my
      plane....Hope it's still ok. I don't want Mike to think I have it out for
      him. :-) Mike? ug.

      We had no clear first to smoke winner before Mike Lee, so I guess he wins.
      We had a few go up but they were not exhibts I don't think. I believe they
      were for-sale units - think the Jawa selling droids scene in Star Wars.
      Hey this one's got a bad motivator!

      Emma had a sweet paint job on that vic-20 if you get a chance to check out
      the photos. She's the one on her little poster on the south east side of
      Wisconsin. The other excellent exhibit was the IBM PC jr set up.

      Bill;
    • Michael Lee
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 30, 2013
        On 9/30/2013 7:31 PM, B. Degnan wrote:
        > Just before I left Mike Lee and I torched a card on his IMSAI 8080.
        > Oops. I should have known
        > better and took all of the cards out first but I was late for my
        > plane....Hope it's still ok. I don't want Mike to think I have it out for
        > him. :-) Mike? ug.

        Haha, it's all good. It should have been fine as it had been recently
        tested, so the flames were just a new thing. Also, just cosmetic from
        the looks of it, and the capacitor involved is just an unknown proto
        board anyway, so I'll just remove it for now.

        It was quite impressive though, complete with actual flame.
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 30, 2013
          >> Haha, it's all good. It should have been fine as it had been recently tested, so the flames were just a new thing. Also, just cosmetic from the looks of it, and the capacitor involved is just an unknown proto
          board anyway, so I'll just remove it for now. It was quite impressive though, complete with actual flame.

          Hey Mike. That's your second such award, if I recall correctly. :)

          Start planning something awesome -- and hopefully non-flammable! -- for East 9.1 next spring.