VCFMW, my experience

  • jus10j
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 29, 2013
      VCF-MW from my iPhone, excuse the formatting.

      This was my third trip to VCF-MW over the past four years. Without a doubt I had the most fun on this visit. Admittedly my own exhibit...well I mailed it in...I brought a TI CC-40 and 3 laminated pages of material about the CC 40 (I also brought and posted a laminated VCF-E 9.1 announcement) but due to only bringing a carry-on for my flight I didn't bring any peripherals. About the only thing interesting with my exhibit was when I challenged Bill Degnan's C116 to a count to 10,000 contest. I lost both times, Bill's C116 was about 50% faster. My original intent was to bring some peripherals and display the HEXBUS, maybe next time. Bill and I shared an exhibit table.

      I ribbed Bill Deg throughout the day that he too mailed it in, but Bill actually brought a neatly modified Commodore C116. The 64K modification made many games run too fast. Part of the fun was trying to play those games and not break the joystick and part of the fun was trying to figure out what worked on the SD card he had packed full of disk images. The absolute highlight was a handful of 1 bit sampled euro dance songs that we blared through a well worn 1702. It might not have been to Bill's normal standards as there was a glitch with the machine not displaying in color, but given the circumstances of being off our home turf it didn't take away from his exhibit (but certainly annoyed him).

      My favorite exhibit was the IBM PCJr display. Very well thought out and executed. I wish I would have caught the History of the PCJr talk. I spent a fair amount of time on the PCJr...the "hobbyist/what can it do today" version allowed me to chat with our Guru/VP Andy via the interwebs. The "back in the day" version is where I found myself playing Dr. J and Larry Bird go One-on-One...it certainly brought back some good memories...and again was so nicely done it makes me want to add a PCJr to my collection.

      Ian and Mouse had the table next to ours...I'm not sure what their exhibit was though ;) ! I did see 7 Commodore 1541s and at least 1 inverted C128 that was engaged in international relations with a box of random parts below it at negative 4G. I could be wrong though and it is worth noting I dozed off last night watching Top Gun.

      There were a lot of sales. I picked up a Hearsay 1000 for my Commodore 64 for a potential VCF-E exhibit. I also picked up Newsroom for the C64 in the same deal. There were a lot of freebies, not as much as last year but I suspect today there will be more as the show winds down.

      Attendance was lower than last year I thought. I hypothesized it was because bow hunting season opened this weekend. Being a two day show may have changed the dynamic.....perhaps Bill, Ian or Mouse can give a day two readout. Jason T's shirts for the show are awesome, I picked on up for a very reasonable $15.

      I smelled smoke twice. Hopefully no equipment was damaged beyond repair.

      I look forward to next year. I may drive out, it would be nice to take more home with me.
    • Jeffrey Brace
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 29, 2013
        Justin,
        Thanks for the report! Wish I could have gone! Anyway there is a video of the PCjr history taken there. Look at previous posts with the streaming video. I liked it be because I knew the bad reputation for the PCjr, but not why.

        I look forward to hearing what others have to say.

        Jeff B

        Sent from my iPhone

[...]

      • Randy Kindig
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 29, 2013
          I will be covering the VCFMW in an upcoming Floppy Days podcast (and a little on the ANTIC podcast).

          Thanks to everyone who agreed to be interviewed!  I had a great time meeting and talking with everyone.

          Special thanks to Jason T. and others for putting together a great show.

          Randy Kindig
          Ataripodcast.com

          Sent from my iPhone

          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 30, 2013

            > I ribbed Bill Deg throughout the day that he too mailed it in, but Bill
            actually brought a neatly modified Commodore C116. The 64K modification
            made many games run too fast. Part of the fun was trying to play those
            games and not break the joystick and part of the fun was trying to figure
            out what worked on the SD card he had packed full of disk images. The
            absolute highlight was a handful of 1 bit sampled euro dance songs that we
            blared through a well worn 1702. It might not have been to Bill's normal
            standards as there was a glitch with the machine not displaying in color,
            but given the circumstances of being off our home turf it didn't take away
            from his exhibit (but certainly annoyed him).

            And of course the CM-141 monitor I tried worked perfectly, the color is
            just fine, using the same cable I had at VCF MW. Also works on my TV set
            / composite TV combo. Maybe it was Chicago electric.

            Anyhoo..commentary/pics

            Had a lot of fun goofing around with Justin, Mouse, Ian, Brad and his kids
            and everyone else. So many computers for sale. Just before I left Mike
            Lee and I torched a card on his IMSAI 8080. Oops. I should have known
            better and took all of the cards out first but I was late for my
            plane....Hope it's still ok. I don't want Mike to think I have it out for
            him. :-) Mike? ug.

            We had no clear first to smoke winner before Mike Lee, so I guess he wins.
            We had a few go up but they were not exhibts I don't think. I believe they
            were for-sale units - think the Jawa selling droids scene in Star Wars.
            Hey this one's got a bad motivator!

            Emma had a sweet paint job on that vic-20 if you get a chance to check out
            the photos. She's the one on her little poster on the south east side of
            Wisconsin. The other excellent exhibit was the IBM PC jr set up.

            Bill;
          • Michael Lee
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 30, 2013
              On 9/30/2013 7:31 PM, B. Degnan wrote:
              > Just before I left Mike Lee and I torched a card on his IMSAI 8080.
              > Oops. I should have known
              > better and took all of the cards out first but I was late for my
              > plane....Hope it's still ok. I don't want Mike to think I have it out for
              > him. :-) Mike? ug.

              Haha, it's all good. It should have been fine as it had been recently
              tested, so the flames were just a new thing. Also, just cosmetic from
              the looks of it, and the capacitor involved is just an unknown proto
              board anyway, so I'll just remove it for now.

              It was quite impressive though, complete with actual flame.
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 30, 2013
                >> Haha, it's all good. It should have been fine as it had been recently tested, so the flames were just a new thing. Also, just cosmetic from the looks of it, and the capacitor involved is just an unknown proto
                board anyway, so I'll just remove it for now. It was quite impressive though, complete with actual flame.

                Hey Mike. That's your second such award, if I recall correctly. :)

                Start planning something awesome -- and hopefully non-flammable! -- for East 9.1 next spring.