Maker Faire updates

    Message 1 of 25 , Sep 22 4:43 AM
      Good morning!

      Day 1 at World Maker Faire was excellent for us. Me, Mouse, Alex J., and Alex's wife Amy were at our booth most of the day.

      As always, we had a large number of interesting visitors, from very techie to young children. Our exhibit of the Mark-8 and of Bill Dudley's homebrew PDP8 clone is being received quite positively by everyone. Most people here really seem to understand our point about homebrewed vs. kits, and they also love that ACS in the mid-60s started here in NYC, vs (for example) Homebrew Comp. Club in Calif. from the mid-70s.

      Perhaps the most interesting person was the man who said he still has his Mark-8. Very close second was someone from Johns Hopkins who previously helped us get our Univac. Definitely going to follow up with these people and many others.

      We met several friends-of-MARCH: Chris L., Evan W., Harry N., several people from the NYC Resistors hackerspace ... Hope I didn't forget anyone.

      We four, plus MARCHin Ethan D. (he's in town from Ohio on behalf of his hackerspace), all went to a good Italian restaurant. It looked like every table was Maker Faire people.

      Alex and Amy are replaced today by Jeff B.; Mouse and I will meet up with him at 9-something this morning.