Rubber rollers for Documation 600L reader - any hints

  • diagonalboard
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 20, 2013
      I am helping a friend restore a Documation 600L card reader whose rubber rollers have dried out and cracked - otherwise it is in good shape. Anyone have spare rollers or who could point me at a source for them?

      I will go down the obvious route of looking for usable substitutes that match the dimensions, but someone might have parts, a machine that has good rollers but is unrepairable for other reasons, or know of a good supplier.

      This machine will be used at a museum in the UK to read and save card decks. The restoration staff at the museum has searched in vain for the parts and didn't have any luck getting a custom-manufactured substitute. I agreed to lend a hand from afar.

      Carl
    • Mike Loewen
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 20, 2013
        On Fri, 20 Sep 2013, diagonalboard wrote:

        > I am helping a friend restore a Documation 600L card reader whose rubber rollers have dried out and cracked - otherwise it is in good shape. Anyone have spare rollers or who could point me at a source for them?
        >
        > I will go down the obvious route of looking for usable substitutes that match the dimensions, but someone might have parts, a machine that has good rollers but is unrepairable for other reasons, or know of a good supplier.
        >
        > This machine will be used at a museum in the UK to read and save card decks. The restoration staff at the museum has searched in vain for the parts and didn't have any luck getting a custom-manufactured substitute. I agreed to lend a hand from afar.
        >
        > Carl

        There have been a couple of people on the CCtalk list that have
        recommended Terry's Rubber Rollers & Wheels as a possibility:

        http://www.terrysrubberrollers.com/

        You might also contact the Computer History Museum in Mountainview, CA
        to see if they have any suggestions. They use the Documations to archive
        card decks.

        I live in fear of the day when my Documation M1000-L's rollers turn to
        goo.

        Mike Loewen mloewen@...
      • joshbensadon

          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 20, 2013
            On Fri, Sep 20, 2013 at 04:45:21PM -0000, diagonalboard wrote:
            > I am helping a friend restore a Documation 600L card reader whose rubber
            > rollers have dried out and cracked - otherwise it is in good shape.
            > Anyone have spare rollers or who could point me at a source for them?

            I had a capstan for a TU10 recoated. The same person may be able to do
            the rollers. http://www.pdp8online.com/tu10/tu10-repair.shtml
            http://www.terrysrubberrollers.com/

            I have a Ducumation on the restore list so I may be looking for some also.
            If you here how the repair went I would like to know what they went with and
            how well it worked.