RE: Re: [midatlanticretro] Mark 8

  • mwillega
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 20, 2013

      There is a small, simple 8008 LED flasher program in the SCELBI 8H users manual that does a fine job blinking LEDs, if that is what you are looking for.

      http://www.scelbi.com/files/docs/manuals/SCELBI-8H%20Users%20Manual.pdf

      Goto page 28

      regards,

      Mike W.

      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, <midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      >> do have one, but we have not tested the I/O of the Mark 8.

      We have two :) but I see your point.

      >> please review the docs on vintagecomputer.net/mark8/ so you can get acquainted with the machine

      Will do. Jeff J. and I will spend some time with it tomorrow.

      >> I strongly suggest that you not leave the machine running for more than 45 minutes at a time

      Wish you'd told me that a couple of months ago before we started leaving it on for hours at a time in the museum (really) ... never had any problem.

      >> It worked enough to deposit and retrieve memory when Ian and I tested it last.

      That'll be sufficient for Maker Faire. We can honestly tell people that it's mid-restoration.
    • jeff_s_jonas
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 20, 2013

        re: the Mark 8

        I found this to be the most useful documentation:

        http://vintagecomputer.net/mark8/RE_Mark-8_Const-NEW.pdf

        (an account on Degnan's server is required).
        Pg 6-8 describe the console switches.

        I'm afraid something came loose. I could view and set RAM for a while, but after a while it kept failing the same way.
        a) trying to load 0x00 into hi addr gave 0x04 (above the 1k ram)
            trying to load 0xff gave 0xF7
        b) trying to load 0x00 into low addr gave 0x0e,
            trying to load 0xff gave ff (yay!)

        Once the 74193s are loaded, "exam" increments them fine.
        I suspect the 74193 chips need to be reseated (open inputs?)
        ALL the chips are socketed using bare clips instead of plastic sockets,
        so perhaps the issue is not to push them too far in?

        My notes on viewing/setting RAM
        1) set run/step to STEP to halt the CPU
        2) set int/jam to JAM for front panel to take control of memory bus

        3) set upper address byte on toggle switches
        press "LAH" to load into upper address register.
        The RAM card is fully populated with 4 by 8 1101 chips for 1k

        4) set lower address byte on toggle switches
        Press "LAL" to load into lower address register

        setting or incrementing the address causes an immediate READ
        and displays the ram on the upper right "mem data" LEDs.

        the "exam" pushbutton increments the memory address
        and diisplays that byte on the "mem data" display

        the "dep" pushbutton
        1) loads the RAM location with the 8 toggle switches
        2) increments the RAM address (both hi and low)
        3) displays the RAM at that address

        That means you can view ram by
        - setting all switches to 0
        - LAH (set upper address byte to 0)
        - LAL (set lower address byte to 0)
          you now see the contents of address 0
        - press "exam" to your heart's delight

        if you want to alter the byte you see,
        just toggle it in and press "DEP".

        There's no decrement / step BACK function,
        so to view the byte you just modified, you must re-enter the address.

        Until we can view and alter the RAM, there's no way to test the CPU with even the simplest program such as setting port 0 with various values (port 0 has LEDs on the front panel). I tried "run" mode and the LEDs flickered as the CPU was fed 0xff from RAM or running off the end of memory (addresses don't wrap).

        -- jeffj