RE: Misc. updates

  • corey986
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 19, 2013
      To add a little technical to the PDP stuff.Since we didn't have the supply before I left, I checked using an ESR meter any electrolytic capacitor I could see. Then I just looked for obvious wires hanging off that could short out.I left my brand spanking new Variac I got for my Helios project with Evan so that Dan W. Can try to bring the power up slowly to make sure we don't have any smoke and sparks shows. There are a lot of tantalum caps in this homebrew PDP, normally I would replaced them, but this was a last minute addition to Maker Fair than Evan wants to be more than a static display.Anyway. Hopefully it works as I won't be at maker fair this year, life is just too busy this month.Cheers, Corey
    • David Comley
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 19, 2013

        On Sep 18, 2013, at 11:13 PM, "Evan Koblentz" <evan@...> wrote:

        Corey had a little time today to inspect the PDP-8 clone; he said it seems okay re: capacitors etc. ... We realized that we lack the power supply, so I called Dudley, and he found it in 30 seconds in his house! I drove over there to get it. Corey had to leave before I returned to the museum, so he left behind his variac; IXR's Dan W. took home the variac and the power supply to test it. If it works then hopefully we can at least make the clone do "das blinkenlichten" this weekend.

        It will be interesting to see the PDP-8 clone in action. I'll be at Maker Faire Saturday with a small group from my daughter's school so we will stop by and take a look.

        I'd offer to help at the booth but I have chaperone duties as usual. This is our third or fourth year of attending.