Re: [midatlanticretro] RE: Bye, bye, Yahoo

  • Cory Smelosky
    Message 1 of 21 , Sep 12, 2013
      On 12 Sep 2013, at 12:47, Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> wrote:

      > On 09/11/2013 08:14 PM, Wesley Furr wrote:
      >> What I like about Yahoo is that it gives people options...for those that
      >> actually want to read messages via the web, they can...and the rest of us
      >> can get them by email.
      >>
      >> The biggest problem I have with web forums is that I never can remember to
      >> go check them out. I enjoy visiting the forums at www.vintage-computer.com,
      >> but they are difficult to keep up with. First I have to remember to visit,
      >> then I have to log in to attempt to track what I've seen and what I
      >> haven't...I say "attempt", because if my session goes idle, then it sets
      >> *all* the read flags so I have no idea where I left off in the various
      >> sub-forums. I guess if I kept up with it every day, it wouldn't be a big
      >> deal...
      >
      > I have the same issue with web fora. I look at it (as an embedded
      > developer) as the difference between "polled" and "interrupt driven"
      > I/O. I have to "poll" a forum to see new traffic, while email just
      > shows up in my mail spool. I have to "poll" THAT for new traffic, but
      > I'm in the habit of doing that every few minutes anyway.

      If I don’t regularly check on my mail server it might crash. I need to get around to figuring out /why/. The problem is that the daemon isn’t exiting…it’s just…stuck in some sort of I/O state doing nothing.

      > Phones, on the other hand, are fully "interrupt driven", which is why
      > I despise them. I usually don't have coverage where I spend most of my
      > time anyway so it's generally not a problem.
      >
      >> That said...I want to know your secret to having too much time on your
      >> hands. :-)
      >
      > You and me both!

      I don’t recommend it. A lot of things that didn’t happen the way they should have is why I have too much free time.