Re: [midatlanticretro] RE: Bye, bye, Yahoo

    Message 1 of 21 , Sep 12, 2013
      On 09/12/2013 01:36 PM, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:

      >>> Yes.
      >>
      >> Cool. My VAX- and PDP11-hacking friend Brian (not on this list) used
      >> to live in Allentown PA and worked in Philadelphia. He wrote a LOT of
      >> software on his daily train commute.
      >
      > A-town. My old home stomping ground!

      Cool! I lived in Bethlehem for awhile, 1992.

      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
      New Kensington, PA
    • Cory Smelosky
      Message 2 of 21 , Sep 12, 2013
        On 12 Sep 2013, at 12:47, Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> wrote:

        > On 09/11/2013 08:14 PM, Wesley Furr wrote:
        >> What I like about Yahoo is that it gives people options...for those that
        >> actually want to read messages via the web, they can...and the rest of us
        >> can get them by email.
        >>
        >> The biggest problem I have with web forums is that I never can remember to
        >> go check them out. I enjoy visiting the forums at www.vintage-computer.com,
        >> but they are difficult to keep up with. First I have to remember to visit,
        >> then I have to log in to attempt to track what I've seen and what I
        >> haven't...I say "attempt", because if my session goes idle, then it sets
        >> *all* the read flags so I have no idea where I left off in the various
        >> sub-forums. I guess if I kept up with it every day, it wouldn't be a big
        >> deal...
        >
        > I have the same issue with web fora. I look at it (as an embedded
        > developer) as the difference between "polled" and "interrupt driven"
        > I/O. I have to "poll" a forum to see new traffic, while email just
        > shows up in my mail spool. I have to "poll" THAT for new traffic, but
        > I'm in the habit of doing that every few minutes anyway.

        If I don’t regularly check on my mail server it might crash. I need to get around to figuring out /why/. The problem is that the daemon isn’t exiting…it’s just…stuck in some sort of I/O state doing nothing.

        > Phones, on the other hand, are fully "interrupt driven", which is why
        > I despise them. I usually don't have coverage where I spend most of my
        > time anyway so it's generally not a problem.
        >
        >> That said...I want to know your secret to having too much time on your
        >> hands. :-)
        >
        > You and me both!

        I don’t recommend it. A lot of things that didn’t happen the way they should have is why I have too much free time.