Re: [midatlanticretro] RE: Bye, bye, Yahoo

    Message 1 of 21 , Sep 12, 2013
      On 09/11/2013 08:14 PM, Wesley Furr wrote:
      > What I like about Yahoo is that it gives people options...for those that
      > actually want to read messages via the web, they can...and the rest of us
      > can get them by email.
      >
      > The biggest problem I have with web forums is that I never can remember to
      > go check them out. I enjoy visiting the forums at www.vintage-computer.com,
      > but they are difficult to keep up with. First I have to remember to visit,
      > then I have to log in to attempt to track what I've seen and what I
      > haven't...I say "attempt", because if my session goes idle, then it sets
      > *all* the read flags so I have no idea where I left off in the various
      > sub-forums. I guess if I kept up with it every day, it wouldn't be a big
      > deal...

      I have the same issue with web fora. I look at it (as an embedded
      developer) as the difference between "polled" and "interrupt driven"
      I/O. I have to "poll" a forum to see new traffic, while email just
      shows up in my mail spool. I have to "poll" THAT for new traffic, but
      I'm in the habit of doing that every few minutes anyway.

      Phones, on the other hand, are fully "interrupt driven", which is why
      I despise them. I usually don't have coverage where I spend most of my
      time anyway so it's generally not a problem.

      > That said...I want to know your secret to having too much time on your
      > hands. :-)

      You and me both!

      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
      Message 2 of 21 , Sep 12, 2013
        On 09/12/2013 12:42 PM, Evan Koblentz wrote:

        >>> Do you take a lot of trains/buses or something
        >
        > Yes.

        Cool. My VAX- and PDP11-hacking friend Brian (not on this list) used
        to live in Allentown PA and worked in Philadelphia. He wrote a LOT of
        software on his daily train commute.

        > I'm also generally away from my home office a lot, and I need to be able to perform admin duties anywhere.

        Sounds good to me.

        Enough people are screaming about this (you should see the shitstorm
        on the microscopes and regen-rx lists!) that they're bound to fix
        something soon.

        Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
        New Kensington, PA
      • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
        Message 3 of 21 , Sep 12, 2013
          Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:

          >> Yes.
          >
          > Cool. My VAX- and PDP11-hacking friend Brian (not on this list) used
          >to live in Allentown PA and worked in Philadelphia. He wrote a LOT of
          >software on his daily train commute.

          A-town. My old home stomping ground!

          Message 4 of 21 , Sep 12, 2013
            On 09/12/2013 01:36 PM, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:

            >>> Yes.
            >>
            >> Cool. My VAX- and PDP11-hacking friend Brian (not on this list) used
            >> to live in Allentown PA and worked in Philadelphia. He wrote a LOT of
            >> software on his daily train commute.
            >
            > A-town. My old home stomping ground!

            Cool! I lived in Bethlehem for awhile, 1992.

            Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
            New Kensington, PA
          • Cory Smelosky
            Message 5 of 21 , Sep 12, 2013
              On 12 Sep 2013, at 12:47, Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> wrote:

              > On 09/11/2013 08:14 PM, Wesley Furr wrote:
              >> What I like about Yahoo is that it gives people options...for those that
              >> actually want to read messages via the web, they can...and the rest of us
              >> can get them by email.
              >>
              >> The biggest problem I have with web forums is that I never can remember to
              >> go check them out. I enjoy visiting the forums at www.vintage-computer.com,
              >> but they are difficult to keep up with. First I have to remember to visit,
              >> then I have to log in to attempt to track what I've seen and what I
              >> haven't...I say "attempt", because if my session goes idle, then it sets
              >> *all* the read flags so I have no idea where I left off in the various
              >> sub-forums. I guess if I kept up with it every day, it wouldn't be a big
              >> deal...
              >
              > I have the same issue with web fora. I look at it (as an embedded
              > developer) as the difference between "polled" and "interrupt driven"
              > I/O. I have to "poll" a forum to see new traffic, while email just
              > shows up in my mail spool. I have to "poll" THAT for new traffic, but
              > I'm in the habit of doing that every few minutes anyway.

              If I don’t regularly check on my mail server it might crash. I need to get around to figuring out /why/. The problem is that the daemon isn’t exiting…it’s just…stuck in some sort of I/O state doing nothing.

              > Phones, on the other hand, are fully "interrupt driven", which is why
              > I despise them. I usually don't have coverage where I spend most of my
              > time anyway so it's generally not a problem.
              >
              >> That said...I want to know your secret to having too much time on your
              >> hands. :-)
              >
              > You and me both!

              I don’t recommend it. A lot of things that didn’t happen the way they should have is why I have too much free time.