Re: [midatlanticretro] RE: Bye, bye, Yahoo

    Message 1 of 21 , Sep 12, 2013
      >>> But my ability to admin the group via mobile is broken -- and I work via mobile a lot, more than most people.

      >> Do you take a lot of trains/buses or something

      Yes.

      I'm also generally away from my home office a lot, and I need to be able to perform admin duties anywhere.
      Message 2 of 21 , Sep 12, 2013
        On 09/11/2013 08:14 PM, Wesley Furr wrote:
        > What I like about Yahoo is that it gives people options...for those that
        > actually want to read messages via the web, they can...and the rest of us
        > can get them by email.
        >
        > The biggest problem I have with web forums is that I never can remember to
        > go check them out. I enjoy visiting the forums at www.vintage-computer.com,
        > but they are difficult to keep up with. First I have to remember to visit,
        > then I have to log in to attempt to track what I've seen and what I
        > haven't...I say "attempt", because if my session goes idle, then it sets
        > *all* the read flags so I have no idea where I left off in the various
        > sub-forums. I guess if I kept up with it every day, it wouldn't be a big
        > deal...

        I have the same issue with web fora. I look at it (as an embedded
        developer) as the difference between "polled" and "interrupt driven"
        I/O. I have to "poll" a forum to see new traffic, while email just
        shows up in my mail spool. I have to "poll" THAT for new traffic, but
        I'm in the habit of doing that every few minutes anyway.

        Phones, on the other hand, are fully "interrupt driven", which is why
        I despise them. I usually don't have coverage where I spend most of my
        time anyway so it's generally not a problem.

        > That said...I want to know your secret to having too much time on your
        > hands. :-)

        You and me both!

        Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
        Message 3 of 21 , Sep 12, 2013
          On 09/12/2013 12:42 PM, Evan Koblentz wrote:

          >>> Do you take a lot of trains/buses or something
          >
          > Yes.

          Cool. My VAX- and PDP11-hacking friend Brian (not on this list) used
          to live in Allentown PA and worked in Philadelphia. He wrote a LOT of
          software on his daily train commute.

          > I'm also generally away from my home office a lot, and I need to be able to perform admin duties anywhere.

          Sounds good to me.

          Enough people are screaming about this (you should see the shitstorm
          on the microscopes and regen-rx lists!) that they're bound to fix
          something soon.

          Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
          New Kensington, PA
        • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
          Message 4 of 21 , Sep 12, 2013
            Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:

            >> Yes.
            >
            > Cool. My VAX- and PDP11-hacking friend Brian (not on this list) used
            >to live in Allentown PA and worked in Philadelphia. He wrote a LOT of
            >software on his daily train commute.

            A-town. My old home stomping ground!

            Message 5 of 21 , Sep 12, 2013
              On 09/12/2013 01:36 PM, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:

              >>> Yes.
              >>
              >> Cool. My VAX- and PDP11-hacking friend Brian (not on this list) used
              >> to live in Allentown PA and worked in Philadelphia. He wrote a LOT of
              >> software on his daily train commute.
              >
              > A-town. My old home stomping ground!

              Cool! I lived in Bethlehem for awhile, 1992.

              Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
              New Kensington, PA
            • Cory Smelosky
              Message 6 of 21 , Sep 12, 2013
                On 12 Sep 2013, at 12:47, Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> wrote:

                > On 09/11/2013 08:14 PM, Wesley Furr wrote:
                >> What I like about Yahoo is that it gives people options...for those that
                >> actually want to read messages via the web, they can...and the rest of us
                >> can get them by email.
                >>
                >> The biggest problem I have with web forums is that I never can remember to
                >> go check them out. I enjoy visiting the forums at www.vintage-computer.com,
                >> but they are difficult to keep up with. First I have to remember to visit,
                >> then I have to log in to attempt to track what I've seen and what I
                >> haven't...I say "attempt", because if my session goes idle, then it sets
                >> *all* the read flags so I have no idea where I left off in the various
                >> sub-forums. I guess if I kept up with it every day, it wouldn't be a big
                >> deal...
                >
                > I have the same issue with web fora. I look at it (as an embedded
                > developer) as the difference between "polled" and "interrupt driven"
                > I/O. I have to "poll" a forum to see new traffic, while email just
                > shows up in my mail spool. I have to "poll" THAT for new traffic, but
                > I'm in the habit of doing that every few minutes anyway.

                If I don’t regularly check on my mail server it might crash. I need to get around to figuring out /why/. The problem is that the daemon isn’t exiting…it’s just…stuck in some sort of I/O state doing nothing.

                > Phones, on the other hand, are fully "interrupt driven", which is why
                > I despise them. I usually don't have coverage where I spend most of my
                > time anyway so it's generally not a problem.
                >
                >> That said...I want to know your secret to having too much time on your
                >> hands. :-)
                >
                > You and me both!

                I don’t recommend it. A lot of things that didn’t happen the way they should have is why I have too much free time.