RE: Bye, bye, Yahoo

  • shlafferty
    Message 1 of 21 , Sep 11, 2013

      Since I use both the email digests and the web forum, I am somewhat dismayed at statements that the web forum is of little use to members. I find the forum format useful for quickly reviewing the tree of a thread having lots of responses. It's also needed by digest subscribers for checking the latest postings, when one is contemplating a reply. I imagine that those who denigrate the forum format, subscribe to the mode having individual emails for each posting. That would cause too much inbox clutter and distraction for me but to each his own.

      As far as Yahoo's gratuitous, clumsy new forum format and the unannounced, random, inconsiderate way that they dumped it on us, all I can say is that it only confirms my suspicions that the company is in decline. Their forum software has been substandard for years compared to popular web forums (which are nothing fancy). The fact that they have taken a giant leap backward with this change is simply unacceptable.

      Having an account on a well-managed, professionally maintained web server these days is very inexpensive and easy to setup, so there seems to be little reason to stick with this derelict provider (other than their totally gorgeous CEO :)  The spam threat is a canard. Decent software and moderation measures which have already been mentioned easily eliminate that.

      Steve Lafferty

      Tronola.com

    • Wesley Furr
      Message 2 of 21 , Sep 11, 2013
        What I like about Yahoo is that it gives people options...for those that
        actually want to read messages via the web, they can...and the rest of us
        can get them by email.

        The biggest problem I have with web forums is that I never can remember to
        go check them out. I enjoy visiting the forums at www.vintage-computer.com,
        but they are difficult to keep up with. First I have to remember to visit,
        then I have to log in to attempt to track what I've seen and what I
        haven't...I say "attempt", because if my session goes idle, then it sets
        *all* the read flags so I have no idea where I left off in the various
        sub-forums. I guess if I kept up with it every day, it wouldn't be a big
        deal...

        That said...I want to know your secret to having too much time on your
        hands. :-)

        Wesley

        I'm someone with too much time on my hands and even /I/ dislike web fora.
      • hornbetw

          Message 4 of 21 , Sep 12, 2013
            On 09/11/2013 09:06 AM, Evan Koblentz wrote:
            >>> I have the full new interface and can use all of the controls
            >>> just fine.
            >
            > I don't have the new interface.

            From traffic on other lists, I thought everyone did now.

            > But my ability to admin the group via
            > mobile is broken -- and I work via mobile a lot, more than most
            > people.

            Do you take a lot of trains/buses or something?

            Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
            Message 5 of 21 , Sep 12, 2013
              >>> But my ability to admin the group via mobile is broken -- and I work via mobile a lot, more than most people.

              >> Do you take a lot of trains/buses or something

              Yes.

              I'm also generally away from my home office a lot, and I need to be able to perform admin duties anywhere.
              Message 6 of 21 , Sep 12, 2013
                On 09/11/2013 08:14 PM, Wesley Furr wrote:
                > What I like about Yahoo is that it gives people options...for those that
                > actually want to read messages via the web, they can...and the rest of us
                > can get them by email.
                >
                > The biggest problem I have with web forums is that I never can remember to
                > go check them out. I enjoy visiting the forums at www.vintage-computer.com,
                > but they are difficult to keep up with. First I have to remember to visit,
                > then I have to log in to attempt to track what I've seen and what I
                > haven't...I say "attempt", because if my session goes idle, then it sets
                > *all* the read flags so I have no idea where I left off in the various
                > sub-forums. I guess if I kept up with it every day, it wouldn't be a big
                > deal...

                I have the same issue with web fora. I look at it (as an embedded
                developer) as the difference between "polled" and "interrupt driven"
                I/O. I have to "poll" a forum to see new traffic, while email just
                shows up in my mail spool. I have to "poll" THAT for new traffic, but
                I'm in the habit of doing that every few minutes anyway.

                Phones, on the other hand, are fully "interrupt driven", which is why
                I despise them. I usually don't have coverage where I spend most of my
                time anyway so it's generally not a problem.

                > That said...I want to know your secret to having too much time on your
                > hands. :-)

                You and me both!

                Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                Message 7 of 21 , Sep 12, 2013
                  On 09/12/2013 12:42 PM, Evan Koblentz wrote:

                  >>> Do you take a lot of trains/buses or something
                  >
                  > Yes.

                  Cool. My VAX- and PDP11-hacking friend Brian (not on this list) used
                  to live in Allentown PA and worked in Philadelphia. He wrote a LOT of
                  software on his daily train commute.

                  > I'm also generally away from my home office a lot, and I need to be able to perform admin duties anywhere.

                  Sounds good to me.

                  Enough people are screaming about this (you should see the shitstorm
                  on the microscopes and regen-rx lists!) that they're bound to fix
                  something soon.

                  Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                  New Kensington, PA
                • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
                  Message 8 of 21 , Sep 12, 2013
                    Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:

                    >> Yes.
                    >
                    > Cool. My VAX- and PDP11-hacking friend Brian (not on this list) used
                    >to live in Allentown PA and worked in Philadelphia. He wrote a LOT of
                    >software on his daily train commute.

                    A-town. My old home stomping ground!

                    Message 9 of 21 , Sep 12, 2013
                      On 09/12/2013 01:36 PM, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:

                      >>> Yes.
                      >>
                      >> Cool. My VAX- and PDP11-hacking friend Brian (not on this list) used
                      >> to live in Allentown PA and worked in Philadelphia. He wrote a LOT of
                      >> software on his daily train commute.
                      >
                      > A-town. My old home stomping ground!

                      Cool! I lived in Bethlehem for awhile, 1992.

                      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                      New Kensington, PA
                    • Cory Smelosky
                      Message 10 of 21 , Sep 12, 2013
                        On 12 Sep 2013, at 12:47, Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> wrote:

                        > On 09/11/2013 08:14 PM, Wesley Furr wrote:
                        >> What I like about Yahoo is that it gives people options...for those that
                        >> actually want to read messages via the web, they can...and the rest of us
                        >> can get them by email.
                        >>
                        >> The biggest problem I have with web forums is that I never can remember to
                        >> go check them out. I enjoy visiting the forums at www.vintage-computer.com,
                        >> but they are difficult to keep up with. First I have to remember to visit,
                        >> then I have to log in to attempt to track what I've seen and what I
                        >> haven't...I say "attempt", because if my session goes idle, then it sets
                        >> *all* the read flags so I have no idea where I left off in the various
                        >> sub-forums. I guess if I kept up with it every day, it wouldn't be a big
                        >> deal...
                        >
                        > I have the same issue with web fora. I look at it (as an embedded
                        > developer) as the difference between "polled" and "interrupt driven"
                        > I/O. I have to "poll" a forum to see new traffic, while email just
                        > shows up in my mail spool. I have to "poll" THAT for new traffic, but
                        > I'm in the habit of doing that every few minutes anyway.

                        If I don’t regularly check on my mail server it might crash. I need to get around to figuring out /why/. The problem is that the daemon isn’t exiting…it’s just…stuck in some sort of I/O state doing nothing.

                        > Phones, on the other hand, are fully "interrupt driven", which is why
                        > I despise them. I usually don't have coverage where I spend most of my
                        > time anyway so it's generally not a problem.
                        >
                        >> That said...I want to know your secret to having too much time on your
                        >> hands. :-)
                        >
                        > You and me both!

                        I don’t recommend it. A lot of things that didn’t happen the way they should have is why I have too much free time.