Re: [midatlanticretro] RE: Bye, bye, Yahoo

  • David Riley
    Message 1 of 21 , Sep 11, 2013
      On Sep 11, 2013, at 9:06 AM, "Evan Koblentz" <evan@...> wrote:

      > >> The only time I'd need to use the web interface is to look at the archives, as others have said.
      >
      > I know, but, I spend a lot of time in the web interface for admin purposes.

      Well, that's a fair point. If that's broken, that's a big problem.

      > >> porn spammers invaded it within a week
      >
      > The * only * thing I like about Yahoo is they let us configure the group so that new members are automatically in moderated mode until an admin (me, Bill) manually change the newb to standard-post rules. That way, spam is impossible. Everyone must pass a Turing test.

      I do appreciate that. How many spam attempts do you tend to see, just
      out of curiosity?

      - Dave
      Message 2 of 21 , Sep 11, 2013
        On 09/11/2013 08:50 AM, David Riley wrote:
        > I'm inclined to agree with Bill on this one, since I've done low-level web
        > hosting for years. The one time I h osted a forum, it was a DISASTER; porn
        > spammers invaded it within a week despite some pretty decent security
        > measures. If you're going to insist on switching from Yahoo, PLEASE make sure
        > it's to a format that allows for access as a mailing list.

        Seconded, loudly. Web fora are for people with too much time on their hands.

        Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
        New Kensington, PA
      • Cory Smelosky
        Message 3 of 21 , Sep 11, 2013
          On 11 Sep 2013, at 13:57, Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> wrote:

          > On 09/11/2013 08:50 AM, David Riley wrote:
          >> I'm inclined to agree with Bill on this one, since I've done low-level web
          >> hosting for years. The one time I h osted a forum, it was a DISASTER; porn
          >> spammers invaded it within a week despite some pretty decent security
          >> measures. If you're going to insist on switching from Yahoo, PLEASE make sure
          >> it's to a format that allows for access as a mailing list.
          >
          > Seconded, loudly. Web fora are for people with too much time on their hands.

          I’m someone with too much time on my hands and even /I/ dislike web fora.

          Message 4 of 21 , Sep 11, 2013
            On 09/11/2013 02:23 PM, Cory Smelosky wrote:
            >>> I'm inclined to agree with Bill on this one, since I've done low-level web
            >>> hosting for years. The one time I h osted a forum, it was a DISASTER; porn
            >>> spammers invaded it within a week despite some pretty decent security
            >>> measures. If you're going to insist on switching from Yahoo, PLEASE make sure
            >>> it's to a format that allows for access as a mailing list.
            >>
            >> Seconded, loudly. Web fora are for people with too much time on their hands.
            >
            > I’m someone with too much time on my hands and even /I/ dislike web fora.

            ROFL!!

            --
            Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
            New Kensington, PA
            Message 5 of 21 , Sep 11, 2013
              On Wed, 11 Sep 2013, Dave McGuire wrote:

              > On 09/11/2013 08:50 AM, David Riley wrote:
              >> I'm inclined to agree with Bill on this one, since I've done low-level web
              >> hosting for years. The one time I h osted a forum, it was a DISASTER; porn
              >> spammers invaded it within a week despite some pretty decent security
              >> measures. If you're going to insist on switching from Yahoo, PLEASE make sure
              >> it's to a format that allows for access as a mailing list.
              >
              > Seconded, loudly. Web fora are for people with too much time on their hands.
              >
              > -Dave

              Thirded, enthusiastically.

              Mike Loewen mloewen@...
            • shlafferty
              Message 6 of 21 , Sep 11, 2013

                Since I use both the email digests and the web forum, I am somewhat dismayed at statements that the web forum is of little use to members. I find the forum format useful for quickly reviewing the tree of a thread having lots of responses. It's also needed by digest subscribers for checking the latest postings, when one is contemplating a reply. I imagine that those who denigrate the forum format, subscribe to the mode having individual emails for each posting. That would cause too much inbox clutter and distraction for me but to each his own.

                As far as Yahoo's gratuitous, clumsy new forum format and the unannounced, random, inconsiderate way that they dumped it on us, all I can say is that it only confirms my suspicions that the company is in decline. Their forum software has been substandard for years compared to popular web forums (which are nothing fancy). The fact that they have taken a giant leap backward with this change is simply unacceptable.

                Having an account on a well-managed, professionally maintained web server these days is very inexpensive and easy to setup, so there seems to be little reason to stick with this derelict provider (other than their totally gorgeous CEO :)  The spam threat is a canard. Decent software and moderation measures which have already been mentioned easily eliminate that.

                Steve Lafferty

                Tronola.com

              • Wesley Furr
                Message 7 of 21 , Sep 11, 2013
                  What I like about Yahoo is that it gives people options...for those that
                  actually want to read messages via the web, they can...and the rest of us
                  can get them by email.

                  The biggest problem I have with web forums is that I never can remember to
                  go check them out. I enjoy visiting the forums at www.vintage-computer.com,
                  but they are difficult to keep up with. First I have to remember to visit,
                  then I have to log in to attempt to track what I've seen and what I
                  haven't...I say "attempt", because if my session goes idle, then it sets
                  *all* the read flags so I have no idea where I left off in the various
                  sub-forums. I guess if I kept up with it every day, it wouldn't be a big
                  deal...

                  That said...I want to know your secret to having too much time on your
                  hands. :-)

                  Wesley

                  I'm someone with too much time on my hands and even /I/ dislike web fora.
                • hornbetw

                    Message 9 of 21 , Sep 12, 2013
                      On 09/11/2013 09:06 AM, Evan Koblentz wrote:
                      >>> I have the full new interface and can use all of the controls
                      >>> just fine.
                      >
                      > I don't have the new interface.

                      From traffic on other lists, I thought everyone did now.

                      > But my ability to admin the group via
                      > mobile is broken -- and I work via mobile a lot, more than most
                      > people.

                      Do you take a lot of trains/buses or something?

                      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                      Message 10 of 21 , Sep 12, 2013
                        >>> But my ability to admin the group via mobile is broken -- and I work via mobile a lot, more than most people.

                        >> Do you take a lot of trains/buses or something

                        Yes.

                        I'm also generally away from my home office a lot, and I need to be able to perform admin duties anywhere.
                        Message 11 of 21 , Sep 12, 2013
                          On 09/11/2013 08:14 PM, Wesley Furr wrote:
                          > What I like about Yahoo is that it gives people options...for those that
                          > actually want to read messages via the web, they can...and the rest of us
                          > can get them by email.
                          >
                          > The biggest problem I have with web forums is that I never can remember to
                          > go check them out. I enjoy visiting the forums at www.vintage-computer.com,
                          > but they are difficult to keep up with. First I have to remember to visit,
                          > then I have to log in to attempt to track what I've seen and what I
                          > haven't...I say "attempt", because if my session goes idle, then it sets
                          > *all* the read flags so I have no idea where I left off in the various
                          > sub-forums. I guess if I kept up with it every day, it wouldn't be a big
                          > deal...

                          I have the same issue with web fora. I look at it (as an embedded
                          developer) as the difference between "polled" and "interrupt driven"
                          I/O. I have to "poll" a forum to see new traffic, while email just
                          shows up in my mail spool. I have to "poll" THAT for new traffic, but
                          I'm in the habit of doing that every few minutes anyway.

                          Phones, on the other hand, are fully "interrupt driven", which is why
                          I despise them. I usually don't have coverage where I spend most of my
                          time anyway so it's generally not a problem.

                          > That said...I want to know your secret to having too much time on your
                          > hands. :-)

                          You and me both!

                          Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                          Message 12 of 21 , Sep 12, 2013
                            On 09/12/2013 12:42 PM, Evan Koblentz wrote:

                            >>> Do you take a lot of trains/buses or something
                            >
                            > Yes.

                            Cool. My VAX- and PDP11-hacking friend Brian (not on this list) used
                            to live in Allentown PA and worked in Philadelphia. He wrote a LOT of
                            software on his daily train commute.

                            > I'm also generally away from my home office a lot, and I need to be able to perform admin duties anywhere.

                            Sounds good to me.

                            Enough people are screaming about this (you should see the shitstorm
                            on the microscopes and regen-rx lists!) that they're bound to fix
                            something soon.

                            Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                            New Kensington, PA
                          • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
                            Message 13 of 21 , Sep 12, 2013
                              Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:

                              >> Yes.
                              >
                              > Cool. My VAX- and PDP11-hacking friend Brian (not on this list) used
                              >to live in Allentown PA and worked in Philadelphia. He wrote a LOT of
                              >software on his daily train commute.

                              A-town. My old home stomping ground!

                              Message 14 of 21 , Sep 12, 2013
                                On 09/12/2013 01:36 PM, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:

                                >>> Yes.
                                >>
                                >> Cool. My VAX- and PDP11-hacking friend Brian (not on this list) used
                                >> to live in Allentown PA and worked in Philadelphia. He wrote a LOT of
                                >> software on his daily train commute.
                                >
                                > A-town. My old home stomping ground!

                                Cool! I lived in Bethlehem for awhile, 1992.

                                Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                                New Kensington, PA
                              • Cory Smelosky
                                Message 15 of 21 , Sep 12, 2013
                                  On 12 Sep 2013, at 12:47, Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> wrote:

                                  > On 09/11/2013 08:14 PM, Wesley Furr wrote:
                                  >> What I like about Yahoo is that it gives people options...for those that
                                  >> actually want to read messages via the web, they can...and the rest of us
                                  >> can get them by email.
                                  >>
                                  >> The biggest problem I have with web forums is that I never can remember to
                                  >> go check them out. I enjoy visiting the forums at www.vintage-computer.com,
                                  >> but they are difficult to keep up with. First I have to remember to visit,
                                  >> then I have to log in to attempt to track what I've seen and what I
                                  >> haven't...I say "attempt", because if my session goes idle, then it sets
                                  >> *all* the read flags so I have no idea where I left off in the various
                                  >> sub-forums. I guess if I kept up with it every day, it wouldn't be a big
                                  >> deal...
                                  >
                                  > I have the same issue with web fora. I look at it (as an embedded
                                  > developer) as the difference between "polled" and "interrupt driven"
                                  > I/O. I have to "poll" a forum to see new traffic, while email just
                                  > shows up in my mail spool. I have to "poll" THAT for new traffic, but
                                  > I'm in the habit of doing that every few minutes anyway.

                                  If I don’t regularly check on my mail server it might crash. I need to get around to figuring out /why/. The problem is that the daemon isn’t exiting…it’s just…stuck in some sort of I/O state doing nothing.

                                  > Phones, on the other hand, are fully "interrupt driven", which is why
                                  > I despise them. I usually don't have coverage where I spend most of my
                                  > time anyway so it's generally not a problem.
                                  >
                                  >> That said...I want to know your secret to having too much time on your
                                  >> hands. :-)
                                  >
                                  > You and me both!

                                  I don’t recommend it. A lot of things that didn’t happen the way they should have is why I have too much free time.