RE: [midatlanticretro] Yahoo Group Header Graphic

  • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 11, 2013
      "Wesley Furr" <wesley@...> writes:

      >Same way here...I can't see the new interface, so I can't do anything about
      >it in my own groups...not that I'm necessarily complaining. :-)
      >
      >I just created an account a day or two ago, and amazingly enough, it got
      >assigned the old interface. You also now have to give Yahoo your mobile
      >number in order to create a new account.

      What if someone doesn't have a mobile? Why would/should Yahoo have to know
      one's mobile phone number or any phone number for that matter?

      >The only way around it is to log
      >in using Facebook or something else, I forget now what it was...

      ...and what if someone doesn't do social media?

    • Martin A Flynn
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 11, 2013
        On 9/11/2013 7:43 AM, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:
        > What if someone doesn't have a mobile? Why would/should Yahoo have to
        > know one's mobile phone number or any phone number for that matter?
        Yahoo, like Google gathers data for re-sale to other parties to be
        further aggregated. Potential uses of the aggregated data include
        political marketing and donation solicitation.

        Martin Flynn
      • Wesley Furr
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 11, 2013
          I wondered the same thing...didn't want to give it to them...but didn't want
          to log in with Facebook either. Just checked to see what the other option
          was, and amusingly enough, it is a company who is probably their biggest
          competitor...Google. So I guess that leaves one other possible option. I
          can see it for password reset type situations...but seems like it should be
          optional. As you say, what if you don't have a mobile phone #? It also
          wouldn't take my Google voice #.

          It also leaves one to wonder if Yahoo is the best place for a group if they
          are making it difficult for new folks to join...not to mention the whole
          "neo" mess... (Not speaking for this group, just thinking about the ones I
          own/moderate.)

          Anyway...sorry if I've steered discussion too far off-course...

          Wesley

          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 11, 2013
            Martin A Flynn <maflynn@...> writes:

            >On 9/11/2013 7:43 AM, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:
            >> What if someone doesn't have a mobile? Why would/should Yahoo have to
            >> know one's mobile phone number or any phone number for that matter?
            >Yahoo, like Google gathers data for re-sale to other parties to be
            >further aggregated. Potential uses of the aggregated data include
            >political marketing and donation solicitation.

            I know the sordid uses by these companies you've mentioned; the question
            is or was more a rhetorical one. Why should I, or anyone for that matter,
            be so eager to give up their personal and private information?

            Even questions asked WRT password security a la "What was your mother's
            maiden name?", "Where did you attend school?", or "In what city did you
            honeymoon?" are none of their business. I keep a journal to maintain
            all the "lies" I give to these question because I'll be damned if I'll
            give personal information to answer these things JUST TO USE A FORUM.