Re: [midatlanticretro] Yahoo Group Header Graphic

    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 10, 2013
      >> Just updated the yahoo group's header graphic.  I expect this will change again, but at least it's better than the baskets image that was there before.  I will change as the season fits or Evan commands ... :-)

      Thanks. Our logo is the best thing to use.

      Yahoo still hasn't assigned the new interface to my account, so I am powerless to change that.

      Maybe I'll try creating a new account and see if that gets the new interface.
    • Wesley Furr
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 10, 2013
        Same way here...I can't see the new interface, so I can't do anything about
        it in my own groups...not that I'm necessarily complaining. :-)

        I just created an account a day or two ago, and amazingly enough, it got
        assigned the old interface. You also now have to give Yahoo your mobile
        number in order to create a new account. The only way around it is to log
        in using Facebook or something else, I forget now what it was...

        Wesley

        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 10, 2013
          Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:
          >>> Just updated the yahoo group's header graphic.  I expect this will
          >change again, but at least it's better than the baskets image that was
          >there before.  I will change as the season fits or Evan commands ...
          >:-)
          >
          >Thanks. Our logo is the best thing to use.
          >
          >Yahoo still hasn't assigned the new interface to my account, so I am
          >powerless to change that.
          >
          >Maybe I'll try creating a new account and see if that gets the new
          >interface.

          I can put up the march logo. Need to vectorize first

          --
          Sent from my PDP 8/e.
        • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 11, 2013
            "Wesley Furr" <wesley@...> writes:

            >Same way here...I can't see the new interface, so I can't do anything about
            >it in my own groups...not that I'm necessarily complaining. :-)
            >
            >I just created an account a day or two ago, and amazingly enough, it got
            >assigned the old interface. You also now have to give Yahoo your mobile
            >number in order to create a new account.

            What if someone doesn't have a mobile? Why would/should Yahoo have to know
            one's mobile phone number or any phone number for that matter?

            >The only way around it is to log
            >in using Facebook or something else, I forget now what it was...

            ...and what if someone doesn't do social media?

          • Martin A Flynn
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 11, 2013
              On 9/11/2013 7:43 AM, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:
              > What if someone doesn't have a mobile? Why would/should Yahoo have to
              > know one's mobile phone number or any phone number for that matter?
              Yahoo, like Google gathers data for re-sale to other parties to be
              further aggregated. Potential uses of the aggregated data include
              political marketing and donation solicitation.

              Martin Flynn
            • Wesley Furr
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 11, 2013
                I wondered the same thing...didn't want to give it to them...but didn't want
                to log in with Facebook either. Just checked to see what the other option
                was, and amusingly enough, it is a company who is probably their biggest
                competitor...Google. So I guess that leaves one other possible option. I
                can see it for password reset type situations...but seems like it should be
                optional. As you say, what if you don't have a mobile phone #? It also
                wouldn't take my Google voice #.

                It also leaves one to wonder if Yahoo is the best place for a group if they
                are making it difficult for new folks to join...not to mention the whole
                "neo" mess... (Not speaking for this group, just thinking about the ones I
                own/moderate.)

                Anyway...sorry if I've steered discussion too far off-course...

                Wesley

                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 11, 2013
                  Martin A Flynn <maflynn@...> writes:

                  >On 9/11/2013 7:43 AM, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:
                  >> What if someone doesn't have a mobile? Why would/should Yahoo have to
                  >> know one's mobile phone number or any phone number for that matter?
                  >Yahoo, like Google gathers data for re-sale to other parties to be
                  >further aggregated. Potential uses of the aggregated data include
                  >political marketing and donation solicitation.

                  I know the sordid uses by these companies you've mentioned; the question
                  is or was more a rhetorical one. Why should I, or anyone for that matter,
                  be so eager to give up their personal and private information?

                  Even questions asked WRT password security a la "What was your mother's
                  maiden name?", "Where did you attend school?", or "In what city did you
                  honeymoon?" are none of their business. I keep a journal to maintain
                  all the "lies" I give to these question because I'll be damned if I'll
                  give personal information to answer these things JUST TO USE A FORUM.