Re: [midatlanticretro] more on big Compaq machines

  • Cory Smelosky
    Message 1 of 25 , Sep 3, 2013
      On 3 Sep 2013, at 19:07, Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> wrote:

      > On 09/03/2013 07:04 PM, Cory Smelosky wrote:
      >>
      >> Which version of DOS?
      >
      > Probably 3.3, the last "real" version before they started throwing in
      > all the crap they bought from other companies. (excluding DOS itself of
      > course)

      I have several friends that would agree with you on that.

      > -Dave
      >
      > --
      > Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
      > New Kensington, PA

    • David Riley
      Message 2 of 25 , Sep 3, 2013
        On Sep 3, 2013, at 18:38, Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> wrote:

        > I dunno, Compaq's page for the 6500 describes it as a "slim 7U form factor".

        Some people think that's a large computer. ;)

        (but I know damn well Cory knows better!)

        The 7000 is definitely a beast, though.

        You KONW you want it, Dave.

        NOPE. My interest in x86 extends exclusively to running servers on cheap, expendable hardware (and maybe some 8086 machines at some point). I don't have the space to dedicate to an architecture whose presence I only grudgingly accept in the first place.

        - Dave

        Message 3 of 25 , Sep 3, 2013
          On 09/03/2013 07:44 PM, David Riley wrote:
          >> > I dunno, Compaq's page for the 6500 describes it as a "slim 7U form
          >> factor".
          >>
          >> Some people think that's a large computer. ;)
          >>
          >> (but I know damn well Cory knows better!)
          >>
          >> The 7000 is definitely a beast, though.
          >>
          >> You KONW you want it, Dave.
          >>
          > NOPE. My interest in x86 extends exclusively to running servers on
          > cheap, expendable hardware (and maybe some 8086 machines at some point).
          > I don't have the space to dedicate to an architecture whose presence I
          > only grudgingly accept in the first place.

          Dang.

          Well, a man's gotta try. ;)

          Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
          New Kensington, PA
        • Wesley Furr
          Message 4 of 25 , Sep 3, 2013
            I think the machines you need to have would be a "honey I shrunk the kids"
            machine to make it smaller, then a Star Trek transporter for delivery to the
            intended recipient. Of course then it would be too small and I would lose
            it... :-)

            Hmmm...I wonder if the height would be right for a bedside stand? It could
            even double as a space heater! Nah...I don't think my wife would go for
            that either... :-)

            Wesley

              Hmmm...I wonder if the height would be right for a bedside stand?  It could
              even double as a space heater!

              or a Boat Anchor :)

              Dan
              YMMV

            • Cory Smelosky
              Message 6 of 25 , Sep 4, 2013
                On Tue, 4 Sep 2013, Dan Roganti wrote:

                > On Tue, Sep 3, 2013 at 10:57 PM, Wesley Furr <wesley@...> wrote:
                >
                >> Hmmm...I wonder if the height would be right for a bedside stand? It could
                >> even double as a space heater!
                >>

                > or a Boat Anchor :)

                "My boat anchor is 12 MIPS! How about yours?"

                --
                Cory Smelosky
                http://gewt.net Personal stuff
                Message 7 of 25 , Sep 4, 2013
                  On 09/03/2013 11:29 PM, Dan Roganti wrote:
                  > Hmmm...I wonder if the height would be right for a bedside stand?
                  > It could
                  > even double as a space heater!
                  >
                  > or a Boat Anchor :)

                  Yeah that was my first thought. A friend gave them to me, though,
                  with a large pile of SGI gear, and made me promise not to scrap them.

                  I must admit, though, that they are really damn impressive for PCs.

                  Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                  Message 8 of 25 , Sep 4, 2013
                    On 09/03/2013 10:57 PM, Wesley Furr wrote:
                    > I think the machines you need to have would be a "honey I shrunk the kids"
                    > machine to make it smaller, then a Star Trek transporter for delivery to the
                    > intended recipient. Of course then it would be too small and I would lose
                    > it... :-)
                    >
                    > Hmmm...I wonder if the height would be right for a bedside stand? It could
                    > even double as a space heater! Nah...I don't think my wife would go for
                    > that either... :-)

                    Hmm. ;) I think it would actually make a rather nice small table.
                    I'm not kidding about that.

                    Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                    New Kensington, PA
                  • Cory Smelosky
                    Message 9 of 25 , Sep 4, 2013
                      On Wed, 4 Sep 2013, Dave McGuire wrote:

                      > On 09/03/2013 11:29 PM, Dan Roganti wrote:
                      >> Hmmm...I wonder if the height would be right for a bedside stand?
                      >> It could
                      >> even double as a space heater!
                      >>
                      >> or a Boat Anchor :)
                      >
                      > Yeah that was my first thought. A friend gave them to me, though,
                      > with a large pile of SGI gear, and made me promise not to scrap them.
                      >
                      > I must admit, though, that they are really damn impressive for PCs.

                      I'm very fond of well-built pre-PIII peecees. PIII and later chipsets are
                      just awful and in my experience riddled with compatability issues and
                      bugs.

                      Emulation chooses the 440BX for a reason. ;)

                      Message 10 of 25 , Sep 4, 2013
                        On Wed, 4 Sep 2013, Dave McGuire wrote:

                        > On 09/03/2013 10:57 PM, Wesley Furr wrote:
                        >> I think the machines you need to have would be a "honey I shrunk the kids"
                        >> machine to make it smaller, then a Star Trek transporter for delivery to the
                        >> intended recipient. Of course then it would be too small and I would lose
                        >> it... :-)
                        >>
                        >> Hmmm...I wonder if the height would be right for a bedside stand? It could
                        >> even double as a space heater! Nah...I don't think my wife would go for
                        >> that either... :-)
                        >
                        > Hmm. ;) I think it would actually make a rather nice small table.
                        > I'm not kidding about that.

                        I'm currently using a floorstanding speaker as a nightstand, so the
                        original comment didn't even strike me as unusual.

                        (No, the speaker isn't connected to anything.)

                        Message 11 of 25 , Sep 4, 2013
                          On 09/04/2013 12:07 PM, Cory Smelosky wrote:
                          >>> Hmmm...I wonder if the height would be right for a bedside stand?
                          >>> It could
                          >>> even double as a space heater!
                          >>>
                          >>> or a Boat Anchor :)
                          >>
                          >> Yeah that was my first thought. A friend gave them to me, though,
                          >> with a large pile of SGI gear, and made me promise not to scrap them.
                          >>
                          >> I must admit, though, that they are really damn impressive for PCs.
                          >
                          > I'm very fond of well-built pre-PIII peecees. PIII and later chipsets are
                          > just awful and in my experience riddled with compatability issues and
                          > bugs.

                          ...and then there's that whole "slower than pissing tar" thing. PC
                          users are the most tolerant, forgiving people on the planet.

                          So do you want these beasties? ;)

                          Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                          New Kensington, PA
                        • David Riley
                          Message 12 of 25 , Sep 4, 2013
                            On Sep 4, 2013, at 12:07 PM, Cory Smelosky wrote:

                            > I'm very fond of well-built pre-PIII peecees. PIII and later chipsets are
                            > just awful and in my experience riddled with compatability issues and
                            > bugs.
                            >
                            > Emulation chooses the 440BX for a reason. ;)

                            Erm, that IS a P3 chipset. Well, it's specifically a P6 bus chipset, so it supports P2 and P3 (and, theoretically, PPro, but good luck with making that fit). It was one of the most popular P3 chipsets for a reason, too. :-)

                            I'll grant that some of the later P3-targeted chipsets were garbage (especially some of the third-party "budget" ones), but there are a number of really good ones as well. The ServerWorks chipsets are pretty decent; I'm still running a dual-P3 server on one, though I'm probably going to need to be rid of it soon because I need to free up some rack space, so if anyone wants a reasonably-working dual P3 machine with 64-bit/66MHz PCI, speak up; you can have it for the cost of shipping a 4U box, or local pickup in Philly.

                            - Dave
                          • Cory Smelosky
                            Message 13 of 25 , Sep 4, 2013

                              >>> Yeah that was my first thought. A friend gave them to me, though,
                              >>> with a large pile of SGI gear, and made me promise not to scrap them.
                              >>>
                              >>> I must admit, though, that they are really damn impressive for PCs.
                              >>
                              >> I'm very fond of well-built pre-PIII peecees. PIII and later chipsets are
                              >> just awful and in my experience riddled with compatability issues and
                              >> bugs.
                              >
                              > ...and then there's that whole "slower than pissing tar" thing. PC
                              > users are the most tolerant, forgiving people on the planet.

                              I need to remind myself how glad I am to have better architectures
                              regularly.

                              > So do you want these beasties? ;)

                              Toss the 7000 in my pile. I don't think i'd have room for the others
                              considering how big my pile currently is. ;)

                              I'll try to get out there soon to grab some of it.

                              Message 14 of 25 , Sep 4, 2013
                                On 09/04/2013 12:15 PM, David Riley wrote:
                                > The ServerWorks chipsets are
                                > pretty decent; I'm still running a dual-P3 server on one, though I'm
                                > probably going to need to be rid of it soon because I need to free up
                                > some rack space, so if anyone wants a reasonably-working dual P3
                                > machine with 64-bit/66MHz PCI, speak up; you can have it for the cost
                                > of shipping a 4U box, or local pickup in Philly.

                                If Cory wants this (he probably does ;)), you can bring it here if you
                                want; I have a large load of stuff destined for him.

                                Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                                Message 15 of 25 , Sep 4, 2013
                                  On 09/04/2013 12:16 PM, Cory Smelosky wrote:
                                  >> So do you want these beasties? ;)
                                  >
                                  > Toss the 7000 in my pile. I don't think i'd have room for the others
                                  > considering how big my pile currently is. ;)

                                  I (and the systems' previous owner) would really prefer that they all
                                  go to the same place...are you certain you can't take all of them? Both
                                  6500s together are smaller than (or perhaps about the same size as) the
                                  7000.

                                  > I'll try to get out there soon to grab some of it.

                                  That would be great.

                                  Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                                  New Kensington, PA
                                • Cory Smelosky
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Sep 4, 2013
                                    On Wed, 4 Sep 2013, David Riley wrote:

                                    > On Sep 4, 2013, at 12:07 PM, Cory Smelosky wrote:
                                    >
                                    >> I'm very fond of well-built pre-PIII peecees. PIII and later chipsets are
                                    >> just awful and in my experience riddled with compatability issues and
                                    >> bugs.
                                    >>
                                    >> Emulation chooses the 440BX for a reason. ;)
                                    >
                                    > Erm, that IS a P3 chipset. Well, it's specifically a P6 bus chipset, so it supports P2 and P3 (and, theoretically, PPro, but good luck with making that fit). It was one of the most popular P3 chipsets for a reason, too. :-)

                                    I'm one of those people that likes to forget the P3 and later exists and
                                    as such it's a Pentium/PII chipset. ;)

                                    It was a fantastic chipset in my dual PII/PIII board though.

                                    > I'll grant that some of the later P3-targeted chipsets were garbage (especially some of the third-party "budget" ones), but there are a number of really good ones as well. The ServerWorks chipsets are pretty decent; I'm still running a dual-P3 server on one, though I'm probably going to need to be rid of it soon because I need to free up some rack space, so if anyone wants a reasonably-working dual P3 machine with 64-bit/66MHz PCI, speak up; you can have it for the cost of shipping a 4U box, or local pickup in Philly.

                                    The budget ones were just awful. I do agree with some of the good server
                                    chipsets though. Those were fantastic.

                                    Message 17 of 25 , Sep 4, 2013
                                      On Wed, 4 Sep 2013, Dave McGuire wrote:

                                      > On 09/04/2013 12:15 PM, David Riley wrote:
                                      >> The ServerWorks chipsets are
                                      >> pretty decent; I'm still running a dual-P3 server on one, though I'm
                                      >> probably going to need to be rid of it soon because I need to free up
                                      >> some rack space, so if anyone wants a reasonably-working dual P3
                                      >> machine with 64-bit/66MHz PCI, speak up; you can have it for the cost
                                      >> of shipping a 4U box, or local pickup in Philly.
                                      >
                                      > If Cory wants this (he probably does ;)), you can bring it here if you
                                      > want; I have a large load of stuff destined for him.

                                      You can never have too many P3-era system!

                                      (well, you can but the ones with good chipsets are great for data recovery
                                      stuff)