Re: [midatlanticretro] Hi!

    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 3, 2013
      >> I found out about this list while searching about
      the Pennywhistle modem over the weekend. I'm sure
      I've heard of it before

      Hey Grant. Glad to see you here.

      One of our members said about a year ago that he'd buy us a Kenbak replica, but that apparently fell through; maybe there weren't any left...?

      Much of the discussion on our list is relevant only to our group and/or to the local region, but you'll also find plenty of tech talk, just like on cctalk -- but without 95% of the BS.
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 3, 2013
        On 09/03/2013 04:08 PM, Grant Stockly wrote:
        > I found out about this list while searching about the Pennywhistle modem
        > over the weekend. I'm sure I've heard of it before, but must have
        > thought the content was different or not as active. I subscribed over
        > the weekend and am very happy with the traffic I've seen so far!
        >
        > I'm also a member of the Altair and retro yahoo groups.
        >
        > My life is getting back on track after a marriage, house move, "failed"
        > house flip experiment (not as seen on TV), and my father coming down
        > with ALS.
        >
        > My wife and I are actively working towards getting the Altair and Kenbak
        > kit factory going again. : ) Something we want to do is keep items in
        > stock and sell individual items. Previously I tried to sell complete
        > kits only to reduce the hassle.
        >
        > I'm glad this resource is available! I'm also happy to read familiar
        > names and I'm very excited about having more time to be an active member
        > of the vintage community once again!
        >
        > Grant - not mid Atlantic..but as far north and west as you can get and
        > still be in the US! (If the dateline wasn't messed up I would be in the
        > furthest north, east, and west state in the union... ; ) )

        Welcome, Grant! Yes, this is a good crew. The S/N ratio here tends
        to be very good.

        I'm glad you're getting back into the swing of things!

        Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
        New Kensington, PA
      • Grant Stockly
        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 3, 2013
          I tried to restart a year ago but shortly after that failed to get a construction loan on the half completed house flip experiment.  Also during that time I remodeled my father's house for his illness (he basically became a quadraplegic), then in March the company I work for relocated to Houston leaving me as an at home employee for the same company.  We had to pack up a manufacturing facility, restart it in Houston, and then I moved my office to my home.

          I think it's over now.  : )

          Grant

          On Tue, Sep 3, 2013 at 12:27 PM, Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:

          >> I found out about this list while searching about
          the Pennywhistle modem over the weekend. I'm sure
          I've heard of it before

          Hey Grant. Glad to see you here.

          One of our members said about a year ago that he'd buy us a Kenbak replica, but that apparently fell through; maybe there weren't any left...?

          Much of the discussion on our list is relevant only to our group and/or to the local region, but you'll also find plenty of tech talk, just like on cctalk -- but without 95% of the BS.

        • Al Hartman
          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 3, 2013
            Grant, welcome to the list...

            I’ve been looking at your webpages with interest for awhile. Someday, when finances allow – I might add one of your Altair kits to my collection.

            The Altair is just before my time, but it would be good to learn.

            Al
            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 3, 2013
              > I found out about this list while searching about the Pennywhistle modem
              > over the weekend. I'm sure I've heard of it before, but must have
              thought
              > the content was different or not as active. I subscribed over the
              weekend
              > and am very happy with the traffic I've seen so far!
              >
              > I'm also a member of the Altair and retro yahoo groups.
              >
              > My life is getting back on track after a marriage, house move, "failed"
              > house flip experiment (not as seen on TV), and my father coming down
              with
              > ALS.
              >
              > My wife and I are actively working towards getting the Altair and Kenbak
              > kit factory going again. : ) Something we want to do is keep items in
              > stock and sell individual items. Previously I tried to sell complete
              kits
              > only to reduce the hassle.
              >
              > I'm glad this resource is available! I'm also happy to read familiar
              names
              > and I'm very excited about having more time to be an active member of
              the
              > vintage community once again!
              >
              > Grant - not mid Atlantic..but as far north and west as you can get and
              > still be in the US! (If the dateline wasn't messed up I would be in the
              > furthest north, east, and west state in the union... ; ) )

              Hey Grant..Bill Degnan here, great to see you've joined our list. Many
              members of the Altair group as well here, lots of good topics on many
              subjects.

              Just to update you and everyone on my work, I have recently upgraded one of
              my Commodore C-116's to 64K and NTSC, planning on taking to the Vintage
              Computer Festival MidWest later this month. I also have an Altair 8800b
              front panel to repair, coming soon and then I will concurrently tackle
              papertape archiving project I have to complete.

              Bill
              vintagecomputer.net
            • corey986
              Message 6 of 15 , Sep 3, 2013

                Hey Grant,

                  Welcome to MARCH.  I was wondering what you have been up to...

                Like Bill, I'll give you a run down of my projects

                I'm working on two Scelbi 8h replicas, one for the museum at InfoAge (MARCH's exhibit) and one for myself.

                I'm working on getting my Helios drive working with my Sol-20 (I also just got another Sol-20 also, this is one of the first ones made that looks like it rolled off the factory floor except for some loose side panels that will only take a few minutes to fix, but who knows what else I'll get myself into)

                I just finished getting my Altair to talk correctly to my punch/reader combo DSI-2400 where I could punch in altair format and reload using MBL, or punch/read programs directly from basic using my SIO-A.   I did just fix all the connectors on my spare Altair rev-1 motherboard today so I may tackle a 100 wire job to add it at some point.

                I need to finish getting my Dazzler configured for piggyback mode so it can work in the Sol-20 when I have the Helios working since I'll be out of slots.

                and finally....

                I need to recap a bunch of vintage TVs and monitors.  Wow I didn't realize my list was getting as long as my Honey Do list...

                Now I'm leaving off the...  "and I want to lose 30 pounds" in all this because until they make 0 calorie cookies, that just ain't going to happen.

                Cheers,

                Corey

                > I found out about this list while searching about the Pennywhistle modem
                > over the weekend. I'm sure I've heard of it before, but must have
                thought
                > the content was different or not as active. I subscribed over the
                weekend
                > and am very happy with the traffic I've seen so far!
                >
                > I'm also a member of the Altair and retro yahoo groups.
                >
                > My life is getting back on track after a marriage, house move, "failed"
                > house flip experiment (not as seen on TV), and my father coming down
                with
                > ALS.
                >
                > My wife and I are actively working towards getting the Altair and Kenbak
                > kit factory going again. : ) Something we want to do is keep items in
                > stock and sell individual items. Previously I tried to sell complete
                kits
                > only to reduce the hassle.
                >
                > I'm glad this resource is available! I'm also happy to read familiar
                names
                > and I'm very excited about having more time to be an active member of
                the
                > vintage community once again!
                >
                > Grant - not mid Atlantic..but as far north and west as you can get and
                > still be in the US! (If the dateline wasn't messed up I would be in the
                > furthest north, east, and west state in the union... ; ) )

                Hey Grant..Bill Degnan here, great to see you've joined our list. Many
                members of the Altair group as well here, lots of good topics on many
                subjects.

                Just to update you and everyone on my work, I have recently upgraded one of
                my Commodore C-116's to 64K and NTSC, planning on taking to the Vintage
                Computer Festival MidWest later this month. I also have an Altair 8800b
                front panel to repair, coming soon and then I will concurrently tackle
                papertape archiving project I have to complete.

                Bill
                vintagecomputer.net
              • Cory Smelosky
                Message 7 of 15 , Sep 4, 2013
                  On Wed, 4 Sep 2013, corey986 wrote:

                  > Hey Grant,
                  >
                  >   Welcome to MARCH.  I was wondering what you have been up to...
                  >

                  > I need to recap a bunch of vintage TVs and monitors.  Wow I didn't realize my list was getting as long as my Honey Do list...

                  I need to finish replacing resistors in my '50s phonograph and track down
                  a spring for the damn thing. Those are quite hard to find.

                  --
                  Cory Smelosky
                  http://gewt.net Personal stuff