more on big Compaq machines

    Message 1 of 25 , Sep 3, 2013
      There's one 7000, one 6400R, and two 6500s.

      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
      New Kensington, PA
    • Cory Smelosky
      Message 2 of 25 , Sep 3, 2013
        On 3 Sep 2013, at 15:09, Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> wrote:

        > There's one 7000, one 6400R, and two 6500s.

        The 7000 and 6500 look like absolute beasts. ;)

        > -Dave
        >
        > --
        > Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
        > New Kensington, PA

      • David Riley
        Message 3 of 25 , Sep 3, 2013
          On Sep 3, 2013, at 17:20, "Cory Smelosky" <b4@...> wrote:

          On 3 Sep 2013, at 15:09, Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> wrote:

          > There's one 7000, one 6400R, and two 6500s.

          The 7000 and 6500 look like absolute beasts. ;)

          I dunno, Compaq's page for the 6500 describes it as a "slim 7U form factor".

          - Dave
          Message 4 of 25 , Sep 3, 2013
            On 09/03/2013 06:36 PM, David Riley wrote:
            >> > There's one 7000, one 6400R, and two 6500s.
            >>
            >> The 7000 and 6500 look like absolute beasts. ;)
            >>
            > I dunno, Compaq's page for the 6500 describes it as a "slim 7U form factor".

            Some people think that's a large computer. ;)

            (but I know damn well Cory knows better!)

            The 7000 is definitely a beast, though.

            You KONW you want it, Dave.

            Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
            New Kensington, PA
          • Cory Smelosky
            Message 5 of 25 , Sep 3, 2013
              On 3 Sep 2013, at 18:38, Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> wrote:

              >>> The 7000 and 6500 look like absolute beasts. ;)
              >>>
              >> I dunno, Compaq's page for the 6500 describes it as a "slim 7U form factor".
              >
              > Some people think that's a large computer. ;)

              ;)

              > (but I know damn well Cory knows better!)

              I was even discussing that with someone! “‘Only 2 feet high? That’s awfully small"

              > The 7000 is definitely a beast, though.

              Apparently Banyan VINES is supported, too according to Compaq docs.

              Message 6 of 25 , Sep 3, 2013
                On 09/03/2013 06:41 PM, Cory Smelosky wrote:
                >> (but I know damn well Cory knows better!)
                >
                > I was even discussing that with someone! “‘Only 2 feet high? That’s awfully small"

                ;)

                >> The 7000 is definitely a beast, though.
                >
                > Apparently Banyan VINES is supported, too according to Compaq docs.

                It's a PeeCee, man! Granted it's a big studly well-built PeeCee, but
                still. I think I'll boot DOS on it, just because.

                Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                New Kensington, PA
              • Cory Smelosky
                Message 7 of 25 , Sep 3, 2013
                  On 3 Sep 2013, at 18:44, Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> wrote:

                  > On 09/03/2013 06:41 PM, Cory Smelosky wrote:
                  >>> (but I know damn well Cory knows better!)
                  >>
                  >> I was even discussing that with someone! “‘Only 2 feet high? That’s awfully small"
                  >
                  > ;)
                  >
                  >>> The 7000 is definitely a beast, though.
                  >>
                  >> Apparently Banyan VINES is supported, too according to Compaq docs.
                  >
                  > It's a PeeCee, man! Granted it's a big studly well-built PeeCee, but
                  > still. I think I'll boot DOS on it, just because.

                  True. I had trouble getting VINES to run in virtual box. I should try qemu.

                  Which version of DOS?

                  Message 8 of 25 , Sep 3, 2013
                    On 09/03/2013 07:04 PM, Cory Smelosky wrote:

                    > Which version of DOS?

                    Probably 3.3, the last "real" version before they started throwing in
                    all the crap they bought from other companies. (excluding DOS itself of
                    course)

                    Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                    New Kensington, PA
                  • Cory Smelosky
                    Message 9 of 25 , Sep 3, 2013
                      On 3 Sep 2013, at 19:07, Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> wrote:

                      > On 09/03/2013 07:04 PM, Cory Smelosky wrote:
                      >>
                      >> Which version of DOS?
                      >
                      > Probably 3.3, the last "real" version before they started throwing in
                      > all the crap they bought from other companies. (excluding DOS itself of
                      > course)

                      I have several friends that would agree with you on that.

                      > -Dave
                      >
                      > --
                      > Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                      > New Kensington, PA

                    • David Riley
                      Message 10 of 25 , Sep 3, 2013
                        On Sep 3, 2013, at 18:38, Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> wrote:

                        > I dunno, Compaq's page for the 6500 describes it as a "slim 7U form factor".

                        Some people think that's a large computer. ;)

                        (but I know damn well Cory knows better!)

                        The 7000 is definitely a beast, though.

                        You KONW you want it, Dave.

                        NOPE. My interest in x86 extends exclusively to running servers on cheap, expendable hardware (and maybe some 8086 machines at some point). I don't have the space to dedicate to an architecture whose presence I only grudgingly accept in the first place.

                        - Dave

                        Message 11 of 25 , Sep 3, 2013
                          On 09/03/2013 07:44 PM, David Riley wrote:
                          >> > I dunno, Compaq's page for the 6500 describes it as a "slim 7U form
                          >> factor".
                          >>
                          >> Some people think that's a large computer. ;)
                          >>
                          >> (but I know damn well Cory knows better!)
                          >>
                          >> The 7000 is definitely a beast, though.
                          >>
                          >> You KONW you want it, Dave.
                          >>
                          > NOPE. My interest in x86 extends exclusively to running servers on
                          > cheap, expendable hardware (and maybe some 8086 machines at some point).
                          > I don't have the space to dedicate to an architecture whose presence I
                          > only grudgingly accept in the first place.

                          Dang.

                          Well, a man's gotta try. ;)

                          Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                          New Kensington, PA
                        • Wesley Furr
                          Message 12 of 25 , Sep 3, 2013
                            I think the machines you need to have would be a "honey I shrunk the kids"
                            machine to make it smaller, then a Star Trek transporter for delivery to the
                            intended recipient. Of course then it would be too small and I would lose
                            it... :-)

                            Hmmm...I wonder if the height would be right for a bedside stand? It could
                            even double as a space heater! Nah...I don't think my wife would go for
                            that either... :-)

                            Wesley

                              Hmmm...I wonder if the height would be right for a bedside stand?  It could
                              even double as a space heater!

                              or a Boat Anchor :)

                              Dan
                              YMMV

                            • Cory Smelosky
                              Message 14 of 25 , Sep 4, 2013
                                On Tue, 4 Sep 2013, Dan Roganti wrote:

                                > On Tue, Sep 3, 2013 at 10:57 PM, Wesley Furr <wesley@...> wrote:
                                >
                                >> Hmmm...I wonder if the height would be right for a bedside stand? It could
                                >> even double as a space heater!
                                >>

                                > or a Boat Anchor :)

                                "My boat anchor is 12 MIPS! How about yours?"

                                --
                                Cory Smelosky
                                http://gewt.net Personal stuff
                                Message 15 of 25 , Sep 4, 2013
                                  On 09/03/2013 11:29 PM, Dan Roganti wrote:
                                  > Hmmm...I wonder if the height would be right for a bedside stand?
                                  > It could
                                  > even double as a space heater!
                                  >
                                  > or a Boat Anchor :)

                                  Yeah that was my first thought. A friend gave them to me, though,
                                  with a large pile of SGI gear, and made me promise not to scrap them.

                                  I must admit, though, that they are really damn impressive for PCs.

                                  Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Sep 4, 2013
                                    On 09/03/2013 10:57 PM, Wesley Furr wrote:
                                    > I think the machines you need to have would be a "honey I shrunk the kids"
                                    > machine to make it smaller, then a Star Trek transporter for delivery to the
                                    > intended recipient. Of course then it would be too small and I would lose
                                    > it... :-)
                                    >
                                    > Hmmm...I wonder if the height would be right for a bedside stand? It could
                                    > even double as a space heater! Nah...I don't think my wife would go for
                                    > that either... :-)

                                    Hmm. ;) I think it would actually make a rather nice small table.
                                    I'm not kidding about that.

                                    Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                                    New Kensington, PA
                                  • Cory Smelosky
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Sep 4, 2013
                                      On Wed, 4 Sep 2013, Dave McGuire wrote:

                                      > On 09/03/2013 11:29 PM, Dan Roganti wrote:
                                      >> Hmmm...I wonder if the height would be right for a bedside stand?
                                      >> It could
                                      >> even double as a space heater!
                                      >>
                                      >> or a Boat Anchor :)
                                      >
                                      > Yeah that was my first thought. A friend gave them to me, though,
                                      > with a large pile of SGI gear, and made me promise not to scrap them.
                                      >
                                      > I must admit, though, that they are really damn impressive for PCs.

                                      I'm very fond of well-built pre-PIII peecees. PIII and later chipsets are
                                      just awful and in my experience riddled with compatability issues and
                                      bugs.

                                      Emulation chooses the 440BX for a reason. ;)

                                      Message 18 of 25 , Sep 4, 2013
                                        On Wed, 4 Sep 2013, Dave McGuire wrote:

                                        > On 09/03/2013 10:57 PM, Wesley Furr wrote:
                                        >> I think the machines you need to have would be a "honey I shrunk the kids"
                                        >> machine to make it smaller, then a Star Trek transporter for delivery to the
                                        >> intended recipient. Of course then it would be too small and I would lose
                                        >> it... :-)
                                        >>
                                        >> Hmmm...I wonder if the height would be right for a bedside stand? It could
                                        >> even double as a space heater! Nah...I don't think my wife would go for
                                        >> that either... :-)
                                        >
                                        > Hmm. ;) I think it would actually make a rather nice small table.
                                        > I'm not kidding about that.

                                        I'm currently using a floorstanding speaker as a nightstand, so the
                                        original comment didn't even strike me as unusual.

                                        (No, the speaker isn't connected to anything.)

                                        Message 19 of 25 , Sep 4, 2013
                                          On 09/04/2013 12:07 PM, Cory Smelosky wrote:
                                          >>> Hmmm...I wonder if the height would be right for a bedside stand?
                                          >>> It could
                                          >>> even double as a space heater!
                                          >>>
                                          >>> or a Boat Anchor :)
                                          >>
                                          >> Yeah that was my first thought. A friend gave them to me, though,
                                          >> with a large pile of SGI gear, and made me promise not to scrap them.
                                          >>
                                          >> I must admit, though, that they are really damn impressive for PCs.
                                          >
                                          > I'm very fond of well-built pre-PIII peecees. PIII and later chipsets are
                                          > just awful and in my experience riddled with compatability issues and
                                          > bugs.

                                          ...and then there's that whole "slower than pissing tar" thing. PC
                                          users are the most tolerant, forgiving people on the planet.

                                          So do you want these beasties? ;)

                                          Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                                          New Kensington, PA
                                        • David Riley
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Sep 4, 2013
                                            On Sep 4, 2013, at 12:07 PM, Cory Smelosky wrote:

                                            > I'm very fond of well-built pre-PIII peecees. PIII and later chipsets are
                                            > just awful and in my experience riddled with compatability issues and
                                            > bugs.
                                            >
                                            > Emulation chooses the 440BX for a reason. ;)

                                            Erm, that IS a P3 chipset. Well, it's specifically a P6 bus chipset, so it supports P2 and P3 (and, theoretically, PPro, but good luck with making that fit). It was one of the most popular P3 chipsets for a reason, too. :-)

                                            I'll grant that some of the later P3-targeted chipsets were garbage (especially some of the third-party "budget" ones), but there are a number of really good ones as well. The ServerWorks chipsets are pretty decent; I'm still running a dual-P3 server on one, though I'm probably going to need to be rid of it soon because I need to free up some rack space, so if anyone wants a reasonably-working dual P3 machine with 64-bit/66MHz PCI, speak up; you can have it for the cost of shipping a 4U box, or local pickup in Philly.

                                            - Dave
                                          • Cory Smelosky
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Sep 4, 2013

                                              >>> Yeah that was my first thought. A friend gave them to me, though,
                                              >>> with a large pile of SGI gear, and made me promise not to scrap them.
                                              >>>
                                              >>> I must admit, though, that they are really damn impressive for PCs.
                                              >>
                                              >> I'm very fond of well-built pre-PIII peecees. PIII and later chipsets are
                                              >> just awful and in my experience riddled with compatability issues and
                                              >> bugs.
                                              >
                                              > ...and then there's that whole "slower than pissing tar" thing. PC
                                              > users are the most tolerant, forgiving people on the planet.

                                              I need to remind myself how glad I am to have better architectures
                                              regularly.

                                              > So do you want these beasties? ;)

                                              Toss the 7000 in my pile. I don't think i'd have room for the others
                                              considering how big my pile currently is. ;)

                                              I'll try to get out there soon to grab some of it.

                                              Message 22 of 25 , Sep 4, 2013
                                                On 09/04/2013 12:15 PM, David Riley wrote:
                                                > The ServerWorks chipsets are
                                                > pretty decent; I'm still running a dual-P3 server on one, though I'm
                                                > probably going to need to be rid of it soon because I need to free up
                                                > some rack space, so if anyone wants a reasonably-working dual P3
                                                > machine with 64-bit/66MHz PCI, speak up; you can have it for the cost
                                                > of shipping a 4U box, or local pickup in Philly.

                                                If Cory wants this (he probably does ;)), you can bring it here if you
                                                want; I have a large load of stuff destined for him.

                                                Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                                                Message 23 of 25 , Sep 4, 2013
                                                  On 09/04/2013 12:16 PM, Cory Smelosky wrote:
                                                  >> So do you want these beasties? ;)
                                                  >
                                                  > Toss the 7000 in my pile. I don't think i'd have room for the others
                                                  > considering how big my pile currently is. ;)

                                                  I (and the systems' previous owner) would really prefer that they all
                                                  go to the same place...are you certain you can't take all of them? Both
                                                  6500s together are smaller than (or perhaps about the same size as) the
                                                  7000.

                                                  > I'll try to get out there soon to grab some of it.

                                                  That would be great.

                                                  Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                                                  New Kensington, PA
                                                • Cory Smelosky
                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Sep 4, 2013
                                                    On Wed, 4 Sep 2013, David Riley wrote:

                                                    > On Sep 4, 2013, at 12:07 PM, Cory Smelosky wrote:
                                                    >
                                                    >> I'm very fond of well-built pre-PIII peecees. PIII and later chipsets are
                                                    >> just awful and in my experience riddled with compatability issues and
                                                    >> bugs.
                                                    >>
                                                    >> Emulation chooses the 440BX for a reason. ;)
                                                    >
                                                    > Erm, that IS a P3 chipset. Well, it's specifically a P6 bus chipset, so it supports P2 and P3 (and, theoretically, PPro, but good luck with making that fit). It was one of the most popular P3 chipsets for a reason, too. :-)

                                                    I'm one of those people that likes to forget the P3 and later exists and
                                                    as such it's a Pentium/PII chipset. ;)

                                                    It was a fantastic chipset in my dual PII/PIII board though.

                                                    > I'll grant that some of the later P3-targeted chipsets were garbage (especially some of the third-party "budget" ones), but there are a number of really good ones as well. The ServerWorks chipsets are pretty decent; I'm still running a dual-P3 server on one, though I'm probably going to need to be rid of it soon because I need to free up some rack space, so if anyone wants a reasonably-working dual P3 machine with 64-bit/66MHz PCI, speak up; you can have it for the cost of shipping a 4U box, or local pickup in Philly.

                                                    The budget ones were just awful. I do agree with some of the good server
                                                    chipsets though. Those were fantastic.

                                                    Message 25 of 25 , Sep 4, 2013
                                                      On Wed, 4 Sep 2013, Dave McGuire wrote:

                                                      > On 09/04/2013 12:15 PM, David Riley wrote:
                                                      >> The ServerWorks chipsets are
                                                      >> pretty decent; I'm still running a dual-P3 server on one, though I'm
                                                      >> probably going to need to be rid of it soon because I need to free up
                                                      >> some rack space, so if anyone wants a reasonably-working dual P3
                                                      >> machine with 64-bit/66MHz PCI, speak up; you can have it for the cost
                                                      >> of shipping a 4U box, or local pickup in Philly.
                                                      >
                                                      > If Cory wants this (he probably does ;)), you can bring it here if you
                                                      > want; I have a large load of stuff destined for him.

                                                      You can never have too many P3-era system!

                                                      (well, you can but the ones with good chipsets are great for data recovery
                                                      stuff)