big Compaq machines

    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 1, 2013
      Is anyone here interested in a few very large Compaq rackmount PCs?
      These aren't like any other PCs around...one of them takes up easily
      half of a 6' rack, but there's only one of those. Full redundancy, full
      hot-swappability, lots of drive bays. These are PPro and/or P-II era
      machines. I will get model numbers if desired; contact me. These
      machines are beautifully constructed. Must go to a good home.

      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 1, 2013
        > Is anyone here interested in a few very large Compaq rackmount PCs?
        > These aren't like any other PCs around...one of them takes up easily
        > half of a 6' rack, but there's only one of those. Full redundancy, full
        > hot-swappability, lots of drive bays. These are PPro and/or P-II era
        > machines. I will get model numbers if desired; contact me. These
        > machines are beautifully constructed. Must go to a good home.
        >
        > -Dave

        No...but I too have a few spare DELL PowerEdge Servers (rack and stand up)
        if anyone wants one. They're end of life'd from my business. Not sure
        what to do with them. Maybe save until vintage.

        bd
      • Cory Smelosky
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 1, 2013
          Sent from my iPhone

          > On 1 Sep 2013, at 16:35, "Dave McGuire" <Mcguire@...> wrote:
          >

          > Is anyone here interested in a few very large Compaq rackmount PCs?
          > These aren't like any other PCs around...one of them takes up easily
          > half of a 6' rack, but there's only one of those. Full redundancy, full
          > hot-swappability, lots of drive bays. These are PPro and/or P-II era

          I'm interested if the processors are hotswap. ;)

          Who (other than everyone) wouldn't mind a fully fault-tolerant netware box?

          > machines. I will get model numbers if desired; contact me. These
          > machines are beautifully constructed. Must go to a good home.
          >
          > -Dave
          >
          > --
          > Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
          > New Kensington, PA

        • Cory Smelosky
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 1, 2013
            Sent from my iPhone

            > On 1 Sep 2013, at 17:10, "B. Degnan" <billdeg@...> wrote:

            How old? I could possibly use parts and a friend could use a full system.

            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 1, 2013
              On 09/01/2013 08:20 PM, Cory Smelosky wrote:
              >> Is anyone here interested in a few very large Compaq rackmount PCs?
              >> These aren't like any other PCs around...one of them takes up easily
              >> half of a 6' rack, but there's only one of those. Full redundancy, full
              >> hot-swappability, lots of drive bays. These are PPro and/or P-II era
              >
              > I'm interested if the processors are hotswap. ;)

              I believe they are. The caveat is that these machines must be
              protected. I know you, and I know you'd give them a good home...I'd
              just need an acknowledgement that you will do everything in your power
              to keep these machines away from the scrap heap.

              If we're good on that, come get 'em!

              And actually I overestimated; the big one is perhaps 1/3 of a rack,
              not half. I'm pretty sure it's a ProLiant 7000, or very similar. There
              are (I think) two more, much smaller.

              > Who (other than everyone) wouldn't mind a fully fault-tolerant netware box?

              I think they're great boxes...REALLY great boxes actually...they're
              just not within my (narrowing) focus.

              Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
              New Kensington, PA
            • Wesley Furr
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 1, 2013
                Some of those top-end Proliant beasts actually had hot-swap PCI! Never
                heard of it since though... And I believe there were options to have two
                identical boxes up and running at the same time. A local book printing
                company used to run Proliant's...heard a story where they once had one of
                them actually catch on fire, while the other one kept on running!

                Wesley

                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 1, 2013
                  Sent from my iPhone

                  > On 1 Sep 2013, at 20:28, "Dave McGuire" <Mcguire@...> wrote:
                  >

                  > On 09/01/2013 08:20 PM, Cory Smelosky wrote:
                  >>> Is anyone here interested in a few very large Compaq rackmount PCs?
                  >>> These aren't like any other PCs around...one of them takes up easily
                  >>> half of a 6' rack, but there's only one of those. Full redundancy, full
                  >>> hot-swappability, lots of drive bays. These are PPro and/or P-II era
                  >>
                  >> I'm interested if the processors are hotswap. ;)
                  >
                  > I believe they are. The caveat is that these machines must be
                  > protected. I know you, and I know you'd give them a good home...I'd
                  > just need an acknowledgement that you will do everything in your power
                  > to keep these machines away from the scrap heap.

                  Very little here ever reaches the scrap heap. It has to actually catch fire or be smoking/dead + tripped a breaker to see the scrap heap here.

                  Okay...there are exceptions but those exceptions are commodity crap.

                  > If we're good on that, come get 'em!

                  Okay! Toss one in my pile.

                  > And actually I overestimated; the big one is perhaps 1/3 of a rack,
                  > not half. I'm pretty sure it's a ProLiant 7000, or very similar. There
                  > are (I think) two more, much smaller.

                  Mmmm. Interesting.

                  >> Who (other than everyone) wouldn't mind a fully fault-tolerant netware box?
                  >
                  > I think they're great boxes...REALLY great boxes actually...they're
                  > just not within my (narrowing) focus.

                  Understandable. ;)