Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: uVax Diag Monitor tape?

    Message 1 of 24 , Aug 31, 2013
      On 08/31/2013 08:25 AM, tedheadster wrote:
      > I would like to reformat at 5.25" RA70 disk that would hook up to a UDA50 nicely.

      Oh ok, sounds good. So you have a KDA50 in the MicroVAX and a UDA50 in the
      PDP-11/44?

      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
      New Kensington, PA
    • tedheadster
      Message 2 of 24 , Aug 31, 2013
        Indeed, I have both. A few UDA50's actually.

        Message 3 of 24 , Aug 31, 2013
          On 08/31/2013 11:18 AM, tedheadster wrote:
          > Indeed, I have both. A few UDA50's actually.

          Excellent.

          Hmm, a few? Let me know if you'd like to part with one at some point; I'd
          like to put one on the 11/750.

          Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
          New Kensington, PA
        • tedheadster
          Message 4 of 24 , Oct 8, 2013
            So nothing really ever came of this thread. Could you ask Brian S privately?

            - Matthew

            On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 11:39 AM, Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:

            DECheads--

            Matthew W. wants to make a bottable 5.25 for the museum's 11/44. He
            added: "However, I need a copy of the MicroVAX Diagnostics Monitor (MDM)
            tape to reformat the drive."

            Can anyone help with this?

            Message 5 of 24 , Oct 8, 2013
              You sent that to the whole list...

              ...Brian S., can you help?

              From: tedheadster <whiteheadm@...>
              Sender: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
              Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2013 20:03:20 -0400
              To: <midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com>
              Subject: Re: [midatlanticretro] uVax Diag Monitor tape?

              So nothing really ever came of this thread. Could you ask Brian S privately?

              - Matthew

              On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 11:39 AM, Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:

              DECheads--

              Matthew W. wants to make a bottable 5.25 for the museum's 11/44. He
              added: "However, I need a copy of the MicroVAX Diagnostics Monitor (MDM)
              tape to reformat the drive."

              Can anyone help with this?

            • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
              Message 6 of 24 , Oct 8, 2013
                tedheadster <whiteheadm@...> writes:

                >So nothing really ever came of this thread. Could you ask Brian S
                >privately?
                >
                >- Matthew

                If I can find a TK50 tape I'm willing to sacrifice, I'll put the uVAX-II
                diags on it for you. I've been busy and ill (since a medical procedure)
                and I forgot about your request in all that.

                I've made a note to go looking for a TK50 tape tomorrow.

                Message 7 of 24 , Oct 8, 2013
                  I have many (MANY!) if you need some.

                  I also have several copies of the requested diag tape, but haven't yet been able to make the time to wade through hundreds of TK50s to fish one out. :-/

                  Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                  New Kensington, PA

                  On Oct 8, 2013, at 8:18 PM, "Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-" <VAXman@...> wrote:

                  > tedheadster <whiteheadm@...> writes:
                  >
                  >> So nothing really ever came of this thread. Could you ask Brian S
                  >> privately?
                  >>
                  >> - Matthew
                  >
                  > If I can find a TK50 tape I'm willing to sacrifice, I'll put the uVAX-II
                  > diags on it for you. I've been busy and ill (since a medical procedure)
                  > and I forgot about your request in all that.
                  >
                  > I've made a note to go looking for a TK50 tape tomorrow.
                  > --
                  > VAXman- A Bored Certified VMS Kernel Mode Hacker VAXman(at)TMESIS(dot)ORG
                  >
                  > Well I speak to machines with the voice of humanity.

                • David Riley
                  Message 8 of 24 , Oct 8, 2013
                    On Aug 30, 2013, at 6:36 PM, Dave McGuire <mcguire@...> wrote:

                    > I must've just skimmed Evan's earlier message...I would like to know what
                    > type of 5.25" drive Matt is planning on getting running on a PDP-11/44. The
                    > only way to do it is with an SMD controller (easy) and a 5.25" SMD drive
                    > (very rare), or a SCSI drive (easy) and a Unibus SCSI host adapter (rare and
                    > very expensive).
                    >
                    > Matt, what configuration are you trying to bring up? It's likely that I
                    > can save you some time and tears.

                    Matt and I brought up the 11/44 earlier using his Unibus SCSI adaptor,
                    so I assume it's the latter.

                    - Dave
                  • tedheadster
                    Message 9 of 24 , Oct 9, 2013
                      I intend to reformat an RA70 disk and use it with a UDA50 on the PDP-11/44.

                      - Matthew W

                    • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
                      Message 10 of 24 , Oct 9, 2013
                        Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:

                        > I have many (MANY!) if you need some.
                        >
                        > I also have several copies of the requested diag tape, but haven't yet be=
                        >en able to make the time to wade through hundreds of TK50s to fish one out.=
                        > :-/

                        That's OK. I found one I was willing to cannibalize last evening. I'll be
                        wrting it today.

                        Matthew, send me your postal address.

                        Message 11 of 24 , Oct 9, 2013
                          On 10/09/2013 12:43 AM, David Riley wrote:
                          > On Aug 30, 2013, at 6:36 PM, Dave McGuire <mcguire@...> wrote:
                          >

                          >> I must've just skimmed Evan's earlier message...I would like to know what
                          >> type of 5.25" drive Matt is planning on getting running on a PDP-11/44. The
                          >> only way to do it is with an SMD controller (easy) and a 5.25" SMD drive
                          >> (very rare), or a SCSI drive (easy) and a Unibus SCSI host adapter (rare and
                          >> very expensive).
                          >>
                          >> Matt, what configuration are you trying to bring up? It's likely that I
                          >> can save you some time and tears.
                          >
                          > Matt and I brought up the 11/44 earlier using his Unibus SCSI adaptor,
                          > so I assume it's the latter.

                          Wow, that was an old message. Did this just shake loose?

                          Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                          New Kensington, PA
                        • Dennis Boone
                          Message 12 of 24 , Oct 9, 2013
                            >> I must've just skimmed Evan's earlier message...I would like to know what
                            >> type of 5.25" drive Matt is planning on getting running on a PDP-11/44. The
                            >> only way to do it is with an SMD controller (easy) and a 5.25" SMD drive
                            >> (very rare), or a SCSI drive (easy) and a Unibus SCSI host adapter (rare and
                            >> very expensive).

                            Third way, though it may not help the individual in question: there
                            exist Unibus ESDI controllers and drives. There's not a lot of demand,
                            so they tend to be cheaper than SCSI stuff, at least last I looked.

                            De
                            Message 13 of 24 , Oct 9, 2013
                              On 10/09/2013 06:38 PM, Dennis Boone wrote:
                              >>> I must've just skimmed Evan's earlier message...I would like to know what
                              >>> type of 5.25" drive Matt is planning on getting running on a PDP-11/44. The
                              >>> only way to do it is with an SMD controller (easy) and a 5.25" SMD drive
                              >>> (very rare), or a SCSI drive (easy) and a Unibus SCSI host adapter (rare and
                              >>> very expensive).
                              >
                              > Third way, though it may not help the individual in question: there
                              > exist Unibus ESDI controllers and drives. There's not a lot of demand,
                              > so they tend to be cheaper than SCSI stuff, at least last I looked.

                              I'd love to find one or two of those. I have bunches of Qbus ESDI
                              controllers, but no Unibus. I don't think I've ever even seen one in person. :-(

                              Dave McGuire, AK4HZ