Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: uVax Diag Monitor tape?

  • tedheadster
    Message 1 of 24 , Aug 31, 2013
      I would like to reformat at 5.25" RA70 disk that would hook up to a UDA50 nicely.

      - Matthew

      Message 2 of 24 , Aug 31, 2013
        On 08/31/2013 08:25 AM, tedheadster wrote:
        > I would like to reformat at 5.25" RA70 disk that would hook up to a UDA50 nicely.

        Oh ok, sounds good. So you have a KDA50 in the MicroVAX and a UDA50 in the
        PDP-11/44?

        Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
        New Kensington, PA
      • tedheadster
        Message 3 of 24 , Aug 31, 2013
          Indeed, I have both. A few UDA50's actually.

          Message 4 of 24 , Aug 31, 2013
            On 08/31/2013 11:18 AM, tedheadster wrote:
            > Indeed, I have both. A few UDA50's actually.

            Excellent.

            Hmm, a few? Let me know if you'd like to part with one at some point; I'd
            like to put one on the 11/750.

            Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
            New Kensington, PA
          • tedheadster
            Message 5 of 24 , Oct 8, 2013
              So nothing really ever came of this thread. Could you ask Brian S privately?

              - Matthew

              On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 11:39 AM, Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:

              DECheads--

              Matthew W. wants to make a bottable 5.25 for the museum's 11/44. He
              added: "However, I need a copy of the MicroVAX Diagnostics Monitor (MDM)
              tape to reformat the drive."

              Can anyone help with this?

              Message 6 of 24 , Oct 8, 2013
                You sent that to the whole list...

                ...Brian S., can you help?

                From: tedheadster <whiteheadm@...>
                Sender: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
                Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2013 20:03:20 -0400
                To: <midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com>
                Subject: Re: [midatlanticretro] uVax Diag Monitor tape?

                So nothing really ever came of this thread. Could you ask Brian S privately?

                - Matthew

                On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 11:39 AM, Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:

                DECheads--

                Matthew W. wants to make a bottable 5.25 for the museum's 11/44. He
                added: "However, I need a copy of the MicroVAX Diagnostics Monitor (MDM)
                tape to reformat the drive."

                Can anyone help with this?

              • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
                Message 7 of 24 , Oct 8, 2013
                  tedheadster <whiteheadm@...> writes:

                  >So nothing really ever came of this thread. Could you ask Brian S
                  >privately?
                  >
                  >- Matthew

                  If I can find a TK50 tape I'm willing to sacrifice, I'll put the uVAX-II
                  diags on it for you. I've been busy and ill (since a medical procedure)
                  and I forgot about your request in all that.

                  I've made a note to go looking for a TK50 tape tomorrow.

                  Message 8 of 24 , Oct 8, 2013
                    I have many (MANY!) if you need some.

                    I also have several copies of the requested diag tape, but haven't yet been able to make the time to wade through hundreds of TK50s to fish one out. :-/

                    Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                    New Kensington, PA

                    On Oct 8, 2013, at 8:18 PM, "Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-" <VAXman@...> wrote:

                    > tedheadster <whiteheadm@...> writes:
                    >
                    >> So nothing really ever came of this thread. Could you ask Brian S
                    >> privately?
                    >>
                    >> - Matthew
                    >
                    > If I can find a TK50 tape I'm willing to sacrifice, I'll put the uVAX-II
                    > diags on it for you. I've been busy and ill (since a medical procedure)
                    > and I forgot about your request in all that.
                    >
                    > I've made a note to go looking for a TK50 tape tomorrow.
                    > --
                    > VAXman- A Bored Certified VMS Kernel Mode Hacker VAXman(at)TMESIS(dot)ORG
                    >
                    > Well I speak to machines with the voice of humanity.

                  • David Riley
                    Message 9 of 24 , Oct 8, 2013
                      On Aug 30, 2013, at 6:36 PM, Dave McGuire <mcguire@...> wrote:

                      > I must've just skimmed Evan's earlier message...I would like to know what
                      > type of 5.25" drive Matt is planning on getting running on a PDP-11/44. The
                      > only way to do it is with an SMD controller (easy) and a 5.25" SMD drive
                      > (very rare), or a SCSI drive (easy) and a Unibus SCSI host adapter (rare and
                      > very expensive).
                      >
                      > Matt, what configuration are you trying to bring up? It's likely that I
                      > can save you some time and tears.

                      Matt and I brought up the 11/44 earlier using his Unibus SCSI adaptor,
                      so I assume it's the latter.

                      - Dave
                    • tedheadster
                      Message 10 of 24 , Oct 9, 2013
                        I intend to reformat an RA70 disk and use it with a UDA50 on the PDP-11/44.

                        - Matthew W

                      • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
                        Message 11 of 24 , Oct 9, 2013
                          Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:

                          > I have many (MANY!) if you need some.
                          >
                          > I also have several copies of the requested diag tape, but haven't yet be=
                          >en able to make the time to wade through hundreds of TK50s to fish one out.=
                          > :-/

                          That's OK. I found one I was willing to cannibalize last evening. I'll be
                          wrting it today.

                          Matthew, send me your postal address.

                          Message 12 of 24 , Oct 9, 2013
                            On 10/09/2013 12:43 AM, David Riley wrote:
                            > On Aug 30, 2013, at 6:36 PM, Dave McGuire <mcguire@...> wrote:
                            >

                            >> I must've just skimmed Evan's earlier message...I would like to know what
                            >> type of 5.25" drive Matt is planning on getting running on a PDP-11/44. The
                            >> only way to do it is with an SMD controller (easy) and a 5.25" SMD drive
                            >> (very rare), or a SCSI drive (easy) and a Unibus SCSI host adapter (rare and
                            >> very expensive).
                            >>
                            >> Matt, what configuration are you trying to bring up? It's likely that I
                            >> can save you some time and tears.
                            >
                            > Matt and I brought up the 11/44 earlier using his Unibus SCSI adaptor,
                            > so I assume it's the latter.

                            Wow, that was an old message. Did this just shake loose?

                            Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                            New Kensington, PA
                          • Dennis Boone
                            Message 13 of 24 , Oct 9, 2013
                              >> I must've just skimmed Evan's earlier message...I would like to know what
                              >> type of 5.25" drive Matt is planning on getting running on a PDP-11/44. The
                              >> only way to do it is with an SMD controller (easy) and a 5.25" SMD drive
                              >> (very rare), or a SCSI drive (easy) and a Unibus SCSI host adapter (rare and
                              >> very expensive).

                              Third way, though it may not help the individual in question: there
                              exist Unibus ESDI controllers and drives. There's not a lot of demand,
                              so they tend to be cheaper than SCSI stuff, at least last I looked.

                              De
                              Message 14 of 24 , Oct 9, 2013
                                On 10/09/2013 06:38 PM, Dennis Boone wrote:
                                >>> I must've just skimmed Evan's earlier message...I would like to know what
                                >>> type of 5.25" drive Matt is planning on getting running on a PDP-11/44. The
                                >>> only way to do it is with an SMD controller (easy) and a 5.25" SMD drive
                                >>> (very rare), or a SCSI drive (easy) and a Unibus SCSI host adapter (rare and
                                >>> very expensive).
                                >
                                > Third way, though it may not help the individual in question: there
                                > exist Unibus ESDI controllers and drives. There's not a lot of demand,
                                > so they tend to be cheaper than SCSI stuff, at least last I looked.

                                I'd love to find one or two of those. I have bunches of Qbus ESDI
                                controllers, but no Unibus. I don't think I've ever even seen one in person. :-(

                                Dave McGuire, AK4HZ