Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: uVax Diag Monitor tape?

  • David Riley
    Message 1 of 24 , Aug 30, 2013
      On Aug 30, 2013, at 20:48, Michael Thompson <michael.99.thompson@...> wrote:

      Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:36 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

      "Dave McGuire" purringdave

      I must've just skimmed Evan's earlier message...I would like to know what
      type of 5.25" drive Matt is planning on getting running on a PDP-11/44. The
      only way to do it is with an SMD controller (easy) and a 5.25" SMD drive
      (very rare), or a SCSI drive (easy) and a Unibus SCSI host adapter (rare and
      very expensive).

      Matt, what configuration are you trying to bring up? It's likely that I
      can save you some time and tears.

      -Dave

      There are lots of 5 1/4" RA drives that should work fine with a UDA50 Unibus controller.

      Indeed, I know Matt pointed a few out to me. The 5.25" SDI drives are actually even relatively inexpensive compared to their larger brethren (probably because more of them are still alive).

      - Dave
    • tedheadster
      Message 2 of 24 , Aug 31, 2013
        I would like to reformat at 5.25" RA70 disk that would hook up to a UDA50 nicely.

        - Matthew

        Message 3 of 24 , Aug 31, 2013
          On 08/31/2013 08:25 AM, tedheadster wrote:
          > I would like to reformat at 5.25" RA70 disk that would hook up to a UDA50 nicely.

          Oh ok, sounds good. So you have a KDA50 in the MicroVAX and a UDA50 in the
          PDP-11/44?

          Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
          New Kensington, PA
        • tedheadster
          Message 4 of 24 , Aug 31, 2013
            Indeed, I have both. A few UDA50's actually.

            Message 5 of 24 , Aug 31, 2013
              On 08/31/2013 11:18 AM, tedheadster wrote:
              > Indeed, I have both. A few UDA50's actually.

              Excellent.

              Hmm, a few? Let me know if you'd like to part with one at some point; I'd
              like to put one on the 11/750.

              Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
              New Kensington, PA
            • tedheadster
              Message 6 of 24 , Oct 8, 2013
                So nothing really ever came of this thread. Could you ask Brian S privately?

                - Matthew

                On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 11:39 AM, Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:

                DECheads--

                Matthew W. wants to make a bottable 5.25 for the museum's 11/44. He
                added: "However, I need a copy of the MicroVAX Diagnostics Monitor (MDM)
                tape to reformat the drive."

                Can anyone help with this?

                Message 7 of 24 , Oct 8, 2013
                  You sent that to the whole list...

                  ...Brian S., can you help?

                  From: tedheadster <whiteheadm@...>
                  Sender: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
                  Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2013 20:03:20 -0400
                  To: <midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com>
                  Subject: Re: [midatlanticretro] uVax Diag Monitor tape?

                  So nothing really ever came of this thread. Could you ask Brian S privately?

                  - Matthew

                  On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 11:39 AM, Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:

                  DECheads--

                  Matthew W. wants to make a bottable 5.25 for the museum's 11/44. He
                  added: "However, I need a copy of the MicroVAX Diagnostics Monitor (MDM)
                  tape to reformat the drive."

                  Can anyone help with this?

                • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
                  Message 8 of 24 , Oct 8, 2013
                    tedheadster <whiteheadm@...> writes:

                    >So nothing really ever came of this thread. Could you ask Brian S
                    >privately?
                    >
                    >- Matthew

                    If I can find a TK50 tape I'm willing to sacrifice, I'll put the uVAX-II
                    diags on it for you. I've been busy and ill (since a medical procedure)
                    and I forgot about your request in all that.

                    I've made a note to go looking for a TK50 tape tomorrow.

                    Message 9 of 24 , Oct 8, 2013
                      I have many (MANY!) if you need some.

                      I also have several copies of the requested diag tape, but haven't yet been able to make the time to wade through hundreds of TK50s to fish one out. :-/

                      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                      New Kensington, PA

                      On Oct 8, 2013, at 8:18 PM, "Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-" <VAXman@...> wrote:

                      > tedheadster <whiteheadm@...> writes:
                      >
                      >> So nothing really ever came of this thread. Could you ask Brian S
                      >> privately?
                      >>
                      >> - Matthew
                      >
                      > If I can find a TK50 tape I'm willing to sacrifice, I'll put the uVAX-II
                      > diags on it for you. I've been busy and ill (since a medical procedure)
                      > and I forgot about your request in all that.
                      >
                      > I've made a note to go looking for a TK50 tape tomorrow.
                      > --
                      > VAXman- A Bored Certified VMS Kernel Mode Hacker VAXman(at)TMESIS(dot)ORG
                      >
                      > Well I speak to machines with the voice of humanity.

                    • David Riley
                      Message 10 of 24 , Oct 8, 2013
                        On Aug 30, 2013, at 6:36 PM, Dave McGuire <mcguire@...> wrote:

                        > I must've just skimmed Evan's earlier message...I would like to know what
                        > type of 5.25" drive Matt is planning on getting running on a PDP-11/44. The
                        > only way to do it is with an SMD controller (easy) and a 5.25" SMD drive
                        > (very rare), or a SCSI drive (easy) and a Unibus SCSI host adapter (rare and
                        > very expensive).
                        >
                        > Matt, what configuration are you trying to bring up? It's likely that I
                        > can save you some time and tears.

                        Matt and I brought up the 11/44 earlier using his Unibus SCSI adaptor,
                        so I assume it's the latter.

                        - Dave
                      • tedheadster
                        Message 11 of 24 , Oct 9, 2013
                          I intend to reformat an RA70 disk and use it with a UDA50 on the PDP-11/44.

                          - Matthew W

                        • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
                          Message 12 of 24 , Oct 9, 2013
                            Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:

                            > I have many (MANY!) if you need some.
                            >
                            > I also have several copies of the requested diag tape, but haven't yet be=
                            >en able to make the time to wade through hundreds of TK50s to fish one out.=
                            > :-/

                            That's OK. I found one I was willing to cannibalize last evening. I'll be
                            wrting it today.

                            Matthew, send me your postal address.

                            Message 13 of 24 , Oct 9, 2013
                              On 10/09/2013 12:43 AM, David Riley wrote:
                              > On Aug 30, 2013, at 6:36 PM, Dave McGuire <mcguire@...> wrote:
                              >

                              >> I must've just skimmed Evan's earlier message...I would like to know what
                              >> type of 5.25" drive Matt is planning on getting running on a PDP-11/44. The
                              >> only way to do it is with an SMD controller (easy) and a 5.25" SMD drive
                              >> (very rare), or a SCSI drive (easy) and a Unibus SCSI host adapter (rare and
                              >> very expensive).
                              >>
                              >> Matt, what configuration are you trying to bring up? It's likely that I
                              >> can save you some time and tears.
                              >
                              > Matt and I brought up the 11/44 earlier using his Unibus SCSI adaptor,
                              > so I assume it's the latter.

                              Wow, that was an old message. Did this just shake loose?

                              Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                              New Kensington, PA
                            • Dennis Boone
                              Message 14 of 24 , Oct 9, 2013
                                >> I must've just skimmed Evan's earlier message...I would like to know what
                                >> type of 5.25" drive Matt is planning on getting running on a PDP-11/44. The
                                >> only way to do it is with an SMD controller (easy) and a 5.25" SMD drive
                                >> (very rare), or a SCSI drive (easy) and a Unibus SCSI host adapter (rare and
                                >> very expensive).

                                Third way, though it may not help the individual in question: there
                                exist Unibus ESDI controllers and drives. There's not a lot of demand,
                                so they tend to be cheaper than SCSI stuff, at least last I looked.

                                De
                                Message 15 of 24 , Oct 9, 2013
                                  On 10/09/2013 06:38 PM, Dennis Boone wrote:
                                  >>> I must've just skimmed Evan's earlier message...I would like to know what
                                  >>> type of 5.25" drive Matt is planning on getting running on a PDP-11/44. The
                                  >>> only way to do it is with an SMD controller (easy) and a 5.25" SMD drive
                                  >>> (very rare), or a SCSI drive (easy) and a Unibus SCSI host adapter (rare and
                                  >>> very expensive).
                                  >
                                  > Third way, though it may not help the individual in question: there
                                  > exist Unibus ESDI controllers and drives. There's not a lot of demand,
                                  > so they tend to be cheaper than SCSI stuff, at least last I looked.

                                  I'd love to find one or two of those. I have bunches of Qbus ESDI
                                  controllers, but no Unibus. I don't think I've ever even seen one in person. :-(

                                  Dave McGuire, AK4HZ