Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: uVax Diag Monitor tape?

    Message 1 of 24 , Aug 30, 2013
      On 08/30/2013 08:48 PM, Michael Thompson wrote:
      > I must've just skimmed Evan's earlier message...I would like to know
      > what
      > type of 5.25" drive Matt is planning on getting running on a
      > PDP-11/44. The
      > only way to do it is with an SMD controller (easy) and a 5.25" SMD drive
      > (very rare), or a SCSI drive (easy) and a Unibus SCSI host adapter
      > (rare and
      > very expensive).
      >
      > Matt, what configuration are you trying to bring up? It's likely that I
      > can save you some time and tears.
      >
      > There are lots of 5 1/4" RA drives that should work fine with a UDA50
      > Unibus controller.

      Hmm yes, there are those! =) I'm a bit off my game today.

      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
      New Kensington, PA
    • David Riley
      Message 2 of 24 , Aug 30, 2013
        On Aug 30, 2013, at 20:48, Michael Thompson <michael.99.thompson@...> wrote:

        Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:36 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

        "Dave McGuire" purringdave

        I must've just skimmed Evan's earlier message...I would like to know what
        type of 5.25" drive Matt is planning on getting running on a PDP-11/44. The
        only way to do it is with an SMD controller (easy) and a 5.25" SMD drive
        (very rare), or a SCSI drive (easy) and a Unibus SCSI host adapter (rare and
        very expensive).

        Matt, what configuration are you trying to bring up? It's likely that I
        can save you some time and tears.

        -Dave

        There are lots of 5 1/4" RA drives that should work fine with a UDA50 Unibus controller.

        Indeed, I know Matt pointed a few out to me. The 5.25" SDI drives are actually even relatively inexpensive compared to their larger brethren (probably because more of them are still alive).

        - Dave
      • tedheadster
        Message 3 of 24 , Aug 31, 2013
          I would like to reformat at 5.25" RA70 disk that would hook up to a UDA50 nicely.

          - Matthew

          Message 4 of 24 , Aug 31, 2013
            On 08/31/2013 08:25 AM, tedheadster wrote:
            > I would like to reformat at 5.25" RA70 disk that would hook up to a UDA50 nicely.

            Oh ok, sounds good. So you have a KDA50 in the MicroVAX and a UDA50 in the
            PDP-11/44?

            Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
            New Kensington, PA
          • tedheadster
            Message 5 of 24 , Aug 31, 2013
              Indeed, I have both. A few UDA50's actually.

              Message 6 of 24 , Aug 31, 2013
                On 08/31/2013 11:18 AM, tedheadster wrote:
                > Indeed, I have both. A few UDA50's actually.

                Excellent.

                Hmm, a few? Let me know if you'd like to part with one at some point; I'd
                like to put one on the 11/750.

                Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                New Kensington, PA
              • tedheadster
                Message 7 of 24 , Oct 8, 2013
                  So nothing really ever came of this thread. Could you ask Brian S privately?

                  - Matthew

                  On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 11:39 AM, Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:

                  DECheads--

                  Matthew W. wants to make a bottable 5.25 for the museum's 11/44. He
                  added: "However, I need a copy of the MicroVAX Diagnostics Monitor (MDM)
                  tape to reformat the drive."

                  Can anyone help with this?

                  Message 8 of 24 , Oct 8, 2013
                    You sent that to the whole list...

                    ...Brian S., can you help?

                    From: tedheadster <whiteheadm@...>
                    Sender: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
                    Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2013 20:03:20 -0400
                    To: <midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com>
                    Subject: Re: [midatlanticretro] uVax Diag Monitor tape?

                    So nothing really ever came of this thread. Could you ask Brian S privately?

                    - Matthew

                    On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 11:39 AM, Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:

                    DECheads--

                    Matthew W. wants to make a bottable 5.25 for the museum's 11/44. He
                    added: "However, I need a copy of the MicroVAX Diagnostics Monitor (MDM)
                    tape to reformat the drive."

                    Can anyone help with this?

                  • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
                    Message 9 of 24 , Oct 8, 2013
                      tedheadster <whiteheadm@...> writes:

                      >So nothing really ever came of this thread. Could you ask Brian S
                      >privately?
                      >
                      >- Matthew

                      If I can find a TK50 tape I'm willing to sacrifice, I'll put the uVAX-II
                      diags on it for you. I've been busy and ill (since a medical procedure)
                      and I forgot about your request in all that.

                      I've made a note to go looking for a TK50 tape tomorrow.

                      Message 10 of 24 , Oct 8, 2013
                        I have many (MANY!) if you need some.

                        I also have several copies of the requested diag tape, but haven't yet been able to make the time to wade through hundreds of TK50s to fish one out. :-/

                        Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                        New Kensington, PA

                        On Oct 8, 2013, at 8:18 PM, "Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-" <VAXman@...> wrote:

                        > tedheadster <whiteheadm@...> writes:
                        >
                        >> So nothing really ever came of this thread. Could you ask Brian S
                        >> privately?
                        >>
                        >> - Matthew
                        >
                        > If I can find a TK50 tape I'm willing to sacrifice, I'll put the uVAX-II
                        > diags on it for you. I've been busy and ill (since a medical procedure)
                        > and I forgot about your request in all that.
                        >
                        > I've made a note to go looking for a TK50 tape tomorrow.
                        > --
                        > VAXman- A Bored Certified VMS Kernel Mode Hacker VAXman(at)TMESIS(dot)ORG
                        >
                        > Well I speak to machines with the voice of humanity.

                      • David Riley
                        Message 11 of 24 , Oct 8, 2013
                          On Aug 30, 2013, at 6:36 PM, Dave McGuire <mcguire@...> wrote:

                          > I must've just skimmed Evan's earlier message...I would like to know what
                          > type of 5.25" drive Matt is planning on getting running on a PDP-11/44. The
                          > only way to do it is with an SMD controller (easy) and a 5.25" SMD drive
                          > (very rare), or a SCSI drive (easy) and a Unibus SCSI host adapter (rare and
                          > very expensive).
                          >
                          > Matt, what configuration are you trying to bring up? It's likely that I
                          > can save you some time and tears.

                          Matt and I brought up the 11/44 earlier using his Unibus SCSI adaptor,
                          so I assume it's the latter.

                          - Dave
                        • tedheadster
                          Message 12 of 24 , Oct 9, 2013
                            I intend to reformat an RA70 disk and use it with a UDA50 on the PDP-11/44.

                            - Matthew W

                          • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
                            Message 13 of 24 , Oct 9, 2013
                              Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:

                              > I have many (MANY!) if you need some.
                              >
                              > I also have several copies of the requested diag tape, but haven't yet be=
                              >en able to make the time to wade through hundreds of TK50s to fish one out.=
                              > :-/

                              That's OK. I found one I was willing to cannibalize last evening. I'll be
                              wrting it today.

                              Matthew, send me your postal address.

                              Message 14 of 24 , Oct 9, 2013
                                On 10/09/2013 12:43 AM, David Riley wrote:
                                > On Aug 30, 2013, at 6:36 PM, Dave McGuire <mcguire@...> wrote:
                                >

                                >> I must've just skimmed Evan's earlier message...I would like to know what
                                >> type of 5.25" drive Matt is planning on getting running on a PDP-11/44. The
                                >> only way to do it is with an SMD controller (easy) and a 5.25" SMD drive
                                >> (very rare), or a SCSI drive (easy) and a Unibus SCSI host adapter (rare and
                                >> very expensive).
                                >>
                                >> Matt, what configuration are you trying to bring up? It's likely that I
                                >> can save you some time and tears.
                                >
                                > Matt and I brought up the 11/44 earlier using his Unibus SCSI adaptor,
                                > so I assume it's the latter.

                                Wow, that was an old message. Did this just shake loose?

                                Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                                New Kensington, PA
                              • Dennis Boone
                                Message 15 of 24 , Oct 9, 2013
                                  >> I must've just skimmed Evan's earlier message...I would like to know what
                                  >> type of 5.25" drive Matt is planning on getting running on a PDP-11/44. The
                                  >> only way to do it is with an SMD controller (easy) and a 5.25" SMD drive
                                  >> (very rare), or a SCSI drive (easy) and a Unibus SCSI host adapter (rare and
                                  >> very expensive).

                                  Third way, though it may not help the individual in question: there
                                  exist Unibus ESDI controllers and drives. There's not a lot of demand,
                                  so they tend to be cheaper than SCSI stuff, at least last I looked.

                                  De
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Oct 9, 2013
                                    On 10/09/2013 06:38 PM, Dennis Boone wrote:
                                    >>> I must've just skimmed Evan's earlier message...I would like to know what
                                    >>> type of 5.25" drive Matt is planning on getting running on a PDP-11/44. The
                                    >>> only way to do it is with an SMD controller (easy) and a 5.25" SMD drive
                                    >>> (very rare), or a SCSI drive (easy) and a Unibus SCSI host adapter (rare and
                                    >>> very expensive).
                                    >
                                    > Third way, though it may not help the individual in question: there
                                    > exist Unibus ESDI controllers and drives. There's not a lot of demand,
                                    > so they tend to be cheaper than SCSI stuff, at least last I looked.

                                    I'd love to find one or two of those. I have bunches of Qbus ESDI
                                    controllers, but no Unibus. I don't think I've ever even seen one in person. :-(

                                    Dave McGuire, AK4HZ