Re: [midatlanticretro] uVax Diag Monitor tape?

    Message 1 of 24 , Aug 30, 2013
      On 08/30/2013 06:59 PM, Dave McGuire wrote:
      > On 08/30/2013 06:57 PM, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:
      >>> Is the drive of the type that can be formatted in a MicroVAX 2000 ? If so I=
      >>> can help. I have a vague recollection that they have a formatting routine =
      >>> built-in to the console ROM that supports RD51s and other MFM drives of tha=
      >>> t ilk.
      >>
      >> Only if it's an MFM drive (RD54 -- Maxtor 2190 or RD53 -- Micropolis ???).
      >> THe command is >>> TEST 70
      >
      > The RD53 is a Micropolis 1325. Avoid these like the plague.
      > RD52 = Quantum Q540
      > RD51 = Seagate ST-412
      > RD50 = Seagate ST-506

      I should probably have added the half-height ones as well:

      RD32 = Seagate ST-251 (ST-251-1 works, 28ms vs. 40ms, noticeably faster!)
      RD31 = Seagate ST-225

      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
      New Kensington, PA
    • Michael Thompson
      Message 2 of 24 , Aug 30, 2013

        Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:36 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

        "Dave McGuire" purringdave

        I must've just skimmed Evan's earlier message...I would like to know what
        type of 5.25" drive Matt is planning on getting running on a PDP-11/44. The
        only way to do it is with an SMD controller (easy) and a 5.25" SMD drive
        (very rare), or a SCSI drive (easy) and a Unibus SCSI host adapter (rare and
        very expensive).

        Matt, what configuration are you trying to bring up? It's likely that I
        can save you some time and tears.

        -Dave

        There are lots of 5 1/4" RA drives that should work fine with a UDA50 Unibus controller.
        Message 3 of 24 , Aug 30, 2013
          On 08/30/2013 08:48 PM, Michael Thompson wrote:
          > I must've just skimmed Evan's earlier message...I would like to know
          > what
          > type of 5.25" drive Matt is planning on getting running on a
          > PDP-11/44. The
          > only way to do it is with an SMD controller (easy) and a 5.25" SMD drive
          > (very rare), or a SCSI drive (easy) and a Unibus SCSI host adapter
          > (rare and
          > very expensive).
          >
          > Matt, what configuration are you trying to bring up? It's likely that I
          > can save you some time and tears.
          >
          > There are lots of 5 1/4" RA drives that should work fine with a UDA50
          > Unibus controller.

          Hmm yes, there are those! =) I'm a bit off my game today.

          Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
          New Kensington, PA
        • David Riley
          Message 4 of 24 , Aug 30, 2013
            On Aug 30, 2013, at 20:48, Michael Thompson <michael.99.thompson@...> wrote:

            Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:36 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

            "Dave McGuire" purringdave

            I must've just skimmed Evan's earlier message...I would like to know what
            type of 5.25" drive Matt is planning on getting running on a PDP-11/44. The
            only way to do it is with an SMD controller (easy) and a 5.25" SMD drive
            (very rare), or a SCSI drive (easy) and a Unibus SCSI host adapter (rare and
            very expensive).

            Matt, what configuration are you trying to bring up? It's likely that I
            can save you some time and tears.

            -Dave

            There are lots of 5 1/4" RA drives that should work fine with a UDA50 Unibus controller.

            Indeed, I know Matt pointed a few out to me. The 5.25" SDI drives are actually even relatively inexpensive compared to their larger brethren (probably because more of them are still alive).

            - Dave
          • tedheadster
            Message 5 of 24 , Aug 31, 2013
              I would like to reformat at 5.25" RA70 disk that would hook up to a UDA50 nicely.

              - Matthew

              Message 6 of 24 , Aug 31, 2013
                On 08/31/2013 08:25 AM, tedheadster wrote:
                > I would like to reformat at 5.25" RA70 disk that would hook up to a UDA50 nicely.

                Oh ok, sounds good. So you have a KDA50 in the MicroVAX and a UDA50 in the
                PDP-11/44?

                Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                New Kensington, PA
              • tedheadster
                Message 7 of 24 , Aug 31, 2013
                  Indeed, I have both. A few UDA50's actually.

                  Message 8 of 24 , Aug 31, 2013
                    On 08/31/2013 11:18 AM, tedheadster wrote:
                    > Indeed, I have both. A few UDA50's actually.

                    Excellent.

                    Hmm, a few? Let me know if you'd like to part with one at some point; I'd
                    like to put one on the 11/750.

                    Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                    New Kensington, PA
                  • tedheadster
                    Message 9 of 24 , Oct 8, 2013
                      So nothing really ever came of this thread. Could you ask Brian S privately?

                      - Matthew

                      On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 11:39 AM, Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:

                      DECheads--

                      Matthew W. wants to make a bottable 5.25 for the museum's 11/44. He
                      added: "However, I need a copy of the MicroVAX Diagnostics Monitor (MDM)
                      tape to reformat the drive."

                      Can anyone help with this?

                      Message 10 of 24 , Oct 8, 2013
                        You sent that to the whole list...

                        ...Brian S., can you help?

                        Message 11 of 24 , Oct 8, 2013
                          tedheadster <whiteheadm@...> writes:

                          >So nothing really ever came of this thread. Could you ask Brian S
                          >privately?
                          >
                          >- Matthew

                          If I can find a TK50 tape I'm willing to sacrifice, I'll put the uVAX-II
                          diags on it for you. I've been busy and ill (since a medical procedure)
                          and I forgot about your request in all that.

                          I've made a note to go looking for a TK50 tape tomorrow.

                          Message 12 of 24 , Oct 8, 2013
                            I have many (MANY!) if you need some.

                            I also have several copies of the requested diag tape, but haven't yet been able to make the time to wade through hundreds of TK50s to fish one out. :-/

                            Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                            New Kensington, PA

                            On Oct 8, 2013, at 8:18 PM, "Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-" <VAXman@...> wrote:

                            > tedheadster <whiteheadm@...> writes:
                            >
                            >> So nothing really ever came of this thread. Could you ask Brian S
                            >> privately?
                            >>
                            >> - Matthew
                            >
                            > If I can find a TK50 tape I'm willing to sacrifice, I'll put the uVAX-II
                            > diags on it for you. I've been busy and ill (since a medical procedure)
                            > and I forgot about your request in all that.
                            >
                            > I've made a note to go looking for a TK50 tape tomorrow.
                            > --
                            > VAXman- A Bored Certified VMS Kernel Mode Hacker VAXman(at)TMESIS(dot)ORG
                            >
                            > Well I speak to machines with the voice of humanity.

                          • David Riley
                            Message 13 of 24 , Oct 8, 2013
                              On Aug 30, 2013, at 6:36 PM, Dave McGuire <mcguire@...> wrote:

                              > I must've just skimmed Evan's earlier message...I would like to know what
                              > type of 5.25" drive Matt is planning on getting running on a PDP-11/44. The
                              > only way to do it is with an SMD controller (easy) and a 5.25" SMD drive
                              > (very rare), or a SCSI drive (easy) and a Unibus SCSI host adapter (rare and
                              > very expensive).
                              >
                              > Matt, what configuration are you trying to bring up? It's likely that I
                              > can save you some time and tears.

                              Matt and I brought up the 11/44 earlier using his Unibus SCSI adaptor,
                              so I assume it's the latter.

                              - Dave
                            • tedheadster
                              Message 14 of 24 , Oct 9, 2013
                                I intend to reformat an RA70 disk and use it with a UDA50 on the PDP-11/44.

                                - Matthew W

                              • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
                                Message 15 of 24 , Oct 9, 2013
                                  Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:

                                  > I have many (MANY!) if you need some.
                                  >
                                  > I also have several copies of the requested diag tape, but haven't yet be=
                                  >en able to make the time to wade through hundreds of TK50s to fish one out.=
                                  > :-/

                                  That's OK. I found one I was willing to cannibalize last evening. I'll be
                                  wrting it today.

                                  Matthew, send me your postal address.

                                  Message 16 of 24 , Oct 9, 2013
                                    On 10/09/2013 12:43 AM, David Riley wrote:
                                    > On Aug 30, 2013, at 6:36 PM, Dave McGuire <mcguire@...> wrote:
                                    >

                                    >> I must've just skimmed Evan's earlier message...I would like to know what
                                    >> type of 5.25" drive Matt is planning on getting running on a PDP-11/44. The
                                    >> only way to do it is with an SMD controller (easy) and a 5.25" SMD drive
                                    >> (very rare), or a SCSI drive (easy) and a Unibus SCSI host adapter (rare and
                                    >> very expensive).
                                    >>
                                    >> Matt, what configuration are you trying to bring up? It's likely that I
                                    >> can save you some time and tears.
                                    >
                                    > Matt and I brought up the 11/44 earlier using his Unibus SCSI adaptor,
                                    > so I assume it's the latter.

                                    Wow, that was an old message. Did this just shake loose?

                                    Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                                    New Kensington, PA
                                  • Dennis Boone
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Oct 9, 2013
                                      >> I must've just skimmed Evan's earlier message...I would like to know what
                                      >> type of 5.25" drive Matt is planning on getting running on a PDP-11/44. The
                                      >> only way to do it is with an SMD controller (easy) and a 5.25" SMD drive
                                      >> (very rare), or a SCSI drive (easy) and a Unibus SCSI host adapter (rare and
                                      >> very expensive).

                                      Third way, though it may not help the individual in question: there
                                      exist Unibus ESDI controllers and drives. There's not a lot of demand,
                                      so they tend to be cheaper than SCSI stuff, at least last I looked.

                                      De
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Oct 9, 2013
                                        On 10/09/2013 06:38 PM, Dennis Boone wrote:
                                        >>> I must've just skimmed Evan's earlier message...I would like to know what
                                        >>> type of 5.25" drive Matt is planning on getting running on a PDP-11/44. The
                                        >>> only way to do it is with an SMD controller (easy) and a 5.25" SMD drive
                                        >>> (very rare), or a SCSI drive (easy) and a Unibus SCSI host adapter (rare and
                                        >>> very expensive).
                                        >
                                        > Third way, though it may not help the individual in question: there
                                        > exist Unibus ESDI controllers and drives. There's not a lot of demand,
                                        > so they tend to be cheaper than SCSI stuff, at least last I looked.

                                        I'd love to find one or two of those. I have bunches of Qbus ESDI
                                        controllers, but no Unibus. I don't think I've ever even seen one in person. :-(

                                        Dave McGuire, AK4HZ