Re: [midatlanticretro] uVax Diag Monitor tape?

    Message 1 of 24 , Aug 30, 2013
      I must've just skimmed Evan's earlier message...I would like to know what
      type of 5.25" drive Matt is planning on getting running on a PDP-11/44. The
      only way to do it is with an SMD controller (easy) and a 5.25" SMD drive
      (very rare), or a SCSI drive (easy) and a Unibus SCSI host adapter (rare and
      very expensive).

      Matt, what configuration are you trying to bring up? It's likely that I
      can save you some time and tears.

      -Dave

      --
      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
      New Kensington, PA
      Message 2 of 24 , Aug 30, 2013
        David Comley <david_comley@...> writes:

        >Is the drive of the type that can be formatted in a MicroVAX 2000 ? If so I=
        > can help. I have a vague recollection that they have a formatting routine =
        >built-in to the console ROM that supports RD51s and other MFM drives of tha=
        >t ilk.

        Only if it's an MFM drive (RD54 -- Maxtor 2190 or RD53 -- Micropolis ???).
        THe command is >>> TEST 70

        Message 3 of 24 , Aug 30, 2013
          On 08/30/2013 06:57 PM, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:
          >> Is the drive of the type that can be formatted in a MicroVAX 2000 ? If so I=
          >> can help. I have a vague recollection that they have a formatting routine =
          >> built-in to the console ROM that supports RD51s and other MFM drives of tha=
          >> t ilk.
          >
          > Only if it's an MFM drive (RD54 -- Maxtor 2190 or RD53 -- Micropolis ???).
          > THe command is >>> TEST 70

          The RD53 is a Micropolis 1325. Avoid these like the plague.
          RD52 = Quantum Q540
          RD51 = Seagate ST-412
          RD50 = Seagate ST-506

          Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
          Message 4 of 24 , Aug 30, 2013
            On 08/30/2013 06:59 PM, Dave McGuire wrote:
            > On 08/30/2013 06:57 PM, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:
            >>> Is the drive of the type that can be formatted in a MicroVAX 2000 ? If so I=
            >>> can help. I have a vague recollection that they have a formatting routine =
            >>> built-in to the console ROM that supports RD51s and other MFM drives of tha=
            >>> t ilk.
            >>
            >> Only if it's an MFM drive (RD54 -- Maxtor 2190 or RD53 -- Micropolis ???).
            >> THe command is >>> TEST 70
            >
            > The RD53 is a Micropolis 1325. Avoid these like the plague.
            > RD52 = Quantum Q540
            > RD51 = Seagate ST-412
            > RD50 = Seagate ST-506

            I should probably have added the half-height ones as well:

            RD32 = Seagate ST-251 (ST-251-1 works, 28ms vs. 40ms, noticeably faster!)
            RD31 = Seagate ST-225

            Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
            New Kensington, PA
          • Michael Thompson
            Message 5 of 24 , Aug 30, 2013

              Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:36 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

              "Dave McGuire" purringdave

              I must've just skimmed Evan's earlier message...I would like to know what
              type of 5.25" drive Matt is planning on getting running on a PDP-11/44. The
              only way to do it is with an SMD controller (easy) and a 5.25" SMD drive
              (very rare), or a SCSI drive (easy) and a Unibus SCSI host adapter (rare and
              very expensive).

              Matt, what configuration are you trying to bring up? It's likely that I
              can save you some time and tears.

              -Dave

              There are lots of 5 1/4" RA drives that should work fine with a UDA50 Unibus controller.
              Message 6 of 24 , Aug 30, 2013
                On 08/30/2013 08:48 PM, Michael Thompson wrote:
                > I must've just skimmed Evan's earlier message...I would like to know
                > what
                > type of 5.25" drive Matt is planning on getting running on a
                > PDP-11/44. The
                > only way to do it is with an SMD controller (easy) and a 5.25" SMD drive
                > (very rare), or a SCSI drive (easy) and a Unibus SCSI host adapter
                > (rare and
                > very expensive).
                >
                > Matt, what configuration are you trying to bring up? It's likely that I
                > can save you some time and tears.
                >
                > There are lots of 5 1/4" RA drives that should work fine with a UDA50
                > Unibus controller.

                Hmm yes, there are those! =) I'm a bit off my game today.

                Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                New Kensington, PA
              • David Riley
                Message 7 of 24 , Aug 30, 2013
                  On Aug 30, 2013, at 20:48, Michael Thompson <michael.99.thompson@...> wrote:

                  Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:36 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

                  "Dave McGuire" purringdave

                  I must've just skimmed Evan's earlier message...I would like to know what
                  type of 5.25" drive Matt is planning on getting running on a PDP-11/44. The
                  only way to do it is with an SMD controller (easy) and a 5.25" SMD drive
                  (very rare), or a SCSI drive (easy) and a Unibus SCSI host adapter (rare and
                  very expensive).

                  Matt, what configuration are you trying to bring up? It's likely that I
                  can save you some time and tears.

                  -Dave

                  There are lots of 5 1/4" RA drives that should work fine with a UDA50 Unibus controller.

                  Indeed, I know Matt pointed a few out to me. The 5.25" SDI drives are actually even relatively inexpensive compared to their larger brethren (probably because more of them are still alive).

                  - Dave
                • tedheadster
                  Message 8 of 24 , Aug 31, 2013
                    I would like to reformat at 5.25" RA70 disk that would hook up to a UDA50 nicely.

                    - Matthew

                    Message 9 of 24 , Aug 31, 2013
                      On 08/31/2013 08:25 AM, tedheadster wrote:
                      > I would like to reformat at 5.25" RA70 disk that would hook up to a UDA50 nicely.

                      Oh ok, sounds good. So you have a KDA50 in the MicroVAX and a UDA50 in the
                      PDP-11/44?

                      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                      New Kensington, PA
                    • tedheadster
                      Message 10 of 24 , Aug 31, 2013
                        Indeed, I have both. A few UDA50's actually.

                        Message 11 of 24 , Aug 31, 2013
                          On 08/31/2013 11:18 AM, tedheadster wrote:
                          > Indeed, I have both. A few UDA50's actually.

                          Excellent.

                          Hmm, a few? Let me know if you'd like to part with one at some point; I'd
                          like to put one on the 11/750.

                          Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                          New Kensington, PA
                        • tedheadster

                            Message 13 of 24 , Oct 8, 2013
                              You sent that to the whole list...

                              ...Brian S., can you help?

                              Message 14 of 24 , Oct 8, 2013
                                tedheadster <whiteheadm@...> writes:

                                >So nothing really ever came of this thread. Could you ask Brian S
                                >privately?
                                >
                                >- Matthew

                                If I can find a TK50 tape I'm willing to sacrifice, I'll put the uVAX-II
                                diags on it for you. I've been busy and ill (since a medical procedure)
                                and I forgot about your request in all that.

                                I've made a note to go looking for a TK50 tape tomorrow.

                                Message 15 of 24 , Oct 8, 2013
                                  I have many (MANY!) if you need some.

                                  I also have several copies of the requested diag tape, but haven't yet been able to make the time to wade through hundreds of TK50s to fish one out. :-/

                                  Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                                  New Kensington, PA

                                  On Oct 8, 2013, at 8:18 PM, "Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-" <VAXman@...> wrote:

                                  > tedheadster <whiteheadm@...> writes:
                                  >
                                  >> So nothing really ever came of this thread. Could you ask Brian S
                                  >> privately?
                                  >>
                                  >> - Matthew
                                  >
                                  > If I can find a TK50 tape I'm willing to sacrifice, I'll put the uVAX-II
                                  > diags on it for you. I've been busy and ill (since a medical procedure)
                                  > and I forgot about your request in all that.
                                  >
                                  > I've made a note to go looking for a TK50 tape tomorrow.
                                  > --
                                  > VAXman- A Bored Certified VMS Kernel Mode Hacker VAXman(at)TMESIS(dot)ORG
                                  >
                                  > Well I speak to machines with the voice of humanity.

                                • David Riley
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Oct 8, 2013
                                    On Aug 30, 2013, at 6:36 PM, Dave McGuire <mcguire@...> wrote:

                                    > I must've just skimmed Evan's earlier message...I would like to know what
                                    > type of 5.25" drive Matt is planning on getting running on a PDP-11/44. The
                                    > only way to do it is with an SMD controller (easy) and a 5.25" SMD drive
                                    > (very rare), or a SCSI drive (easy) and a Unibus SCSI host adapter (rare and
                                    > very expensive).
                                    >
                                    > Matt, what configuration are you trying to bring up? It's likely that I
                                    > can save you some time and tears.

                                    Matt and I brought up the 11/44 earlier using his Unibus SCSI adaptor,
                                    so I assume it's the latter.

                                    - Dave
                                  • tedheadster
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Oct 9, 2013
                                      I intend to reformat an RA70 disk and use it with a UDA50 on the PDP-11/44.

                                      - Matthew W

                                    • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Oct 9, 2013
                                        Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:

                                        > I have many (MANY!) if you need some.
                                        >
                                        > I also have several copies of the requested diag tape, but haven't yet be=
                                        >en able to make the time to wade through hundreds of TK50s to fish one out.=
                                        > :-/

                                        That's OK. I found one I was willing to cannibalize last evening. I'll be
                                        wrting it today.

                                        Matthew, send me your postal address.

                                        Message 19 of 24 , Oct 9, 2013
                                          On 10/09/2013 12:43 AM, David Riley wrote:
                                          > On Aug 30, 2013, at 6:36 PM, Dave McGuire <mcguire@...> wrote:
                                          >

                                          >> I must've just skimmed Evan's earlier message...I would like to know what
                                          >> type of 5.25" drive Matt is planning on getting running on a PDP-11/44. The
                                          >> only way to do it is with an SMD controller (easy) and a 5.25" SMD drive
                                          >> (very rare), or a SCSI drive (easy) and a Unibus SCSI host adapter (rare and
                                          >> very expensive).
                                          >>
                                          >> Matt, what configuration are you trying to bring up? It's likely that I
                                          >> can save you some time and tears.
                                          >
                                          > Matt and I brought up the 11/44 earlier using his Unibus SCSI adaptor,
                                          > so I assume it's the latter.

                                          Wow, that was an old message. Did this just shake loose?

                                          Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                                          New Kensington, PA
                                        • Dennis Boone
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Oct 9, 2013
                                            >> I must've just skimmed Evan's earlier message...I would like to know what
                                            >> type of 5.25" drive Matt is planning on getting running on a PDP-11/44. The
                                            >> only way to do it is with an SMD controller (easy) and a 5.25" SMD drive
                                            >> (very rare), or a SCSI drive (easy) and a Unibus SCSI host adapter (rare and
                                            >> very expensive).

                                            Third way, though it may not help the individual in question: there
                                            exist Unibus ESDI controllers and drives. There's not a lot of demand,
                                            so they tend to be cheaper than SCSI stuff, at least last I looked.

                                            De
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Oct 9, 2013
                                              On 10/09/2013 06:38 PM, Dennis Boone wrote:
                                              >>> I must've just skimmed Evan's earlier message...I would like to know what
                                              >>> type of 5.25" drive Matt is planning on getting running on a PDP-11/44. The
                                              >>> only way to do it is with an SMD controller (easy) and a 5.25" SMD drive
                                              >>> (very rare), or a SCSI drive (easy) and a Unibus SCSI host adapter (rare and
                                              >>> very expensive).
                                              >
                                              > Third way, though it may not help the individual in question: there
                                              > exist Unibus ESDI controllers and drives. There's not a lot of demand,
                                              > so they tend to be cheaper than SCSI stuff, at least last I looked.

                                              I'd love to find one or two of those. I have bunches of Qbus ESDI
                                              controllers, but no Unibus. I don't think I've ever even seen one in person. :-(

                                              Dave McGuire, AK4HZ