Re: [midatlanticretro] Whoa, Yahoo changed things...

    Message 1 of 20 , Aug 30, 2013
      >> Are you the group owner?

      Yes.

      When I'm not logged in, I don't see any pop-up. When I am logged in, I get the old interface.
    • Martin A Flynn
      Message 2 of 20 , Aug 30, 2013
        On 8/30/2013 4:11 PM, Evan Koblentz wrote:
        Are you the group owner?

        Yes.

        When I'm not logged in, I don't see any pop-up. When I am logged in, I get the old interface.

        This is what Yahoo gave me for the OMARC group

      • wesleyhfurr
        Message 3 of 20 , Aug 30, 2013
          I've never seen anything quite as absurd as what Yahoo is trying to pull
          off with regards to the Groups changes. In my mind, the number one
          problem is that they have not shared ANY details...no notice, no nothing.
          They've just left people to stumble into it and wonder what is going on.
          It's been amusing (yet very sad) to see group by group someone pop up and
          ask about the changes. And it's not like you can revert back or even opt
          to change to the new look...it's all just random luck of the draw. It
          appears that when you browse to a Groups page, it is the new look...but
          once you log in, you see it either the new way or the old, all depending
          on whether or not your account has been changed.

          The other problem is that it apparently has lots of issues that haven't
          been worked out...or thought about...or cared about. There are ways that
          groups operate that is dependent on how Yahoo Groups operates, and
          removing some options makes it difficult or impossible for some groups to
          carry on as they always have. Not to mention stuff like the group photo
          or text looking totally screwed up...and moderators like yourself left to
          wonder how to fix it...then if you do fix it, it may then look like crap
          to those still seeing it the old way...

          It would sure be nice if there was a Yahoo notice somewhere with all the
          details that I could point out...seems like once or twice a day I'm
          sitting here typing up another note about such changes in yet another
          group. Just Google "yahoo neo" and you'll find a ton of people
          complaining bitterly. Though to be fair, I have now noticed all of two
          people who like it...

          I'm personally left wondering if I need to start looking into Google as an
          alternative for the groups I manage. As some of you may recall, they
          tried a disaster like this back in 2010, but enough folks complained that
          they changed it back. Not so sure they'll relent a second time... Though
          I guess it could be great...no way for me to know since I can't really see
          it logged in to my groups!

          Ugh... Perhaps I should take up basket weaving... ;-)

          Wesley

          > Yahoo massively changed the way groups appear -- for the worse, of
          > course...

          > But when you log in, then it looks the same as before.
        • rkushnier
          Message 4 of 20 , Aug 30, 2013

            Love the choice across the top of either "Relaxed" or "Slim" for messages.  I'm neither relaxed nor slim! Perhaps they need a "Stressed" or "Fat" category.  :-)

            Ron

            Message 5 of 20 , Aug 30, 2013
              Use it as a mailing list like a civilized person!

              -Dave

              Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:
              >Yahoo massively changed the way groups appear -- for the worse, of
              >course...

              >But when you log in, then it looks the same as before.

              Dave McGuire
              New Kensington, PA
            • Mike Loewen
              Message 6 of 20 , Aug 30, 2013
                On Fri, 30 Aug 2013, Dave McGuire wrote:

                > Use it as a mailing list like a civilized person!

                Hear, hear! The only time I use the web interface is when I need to
                retrieve a past message or download a file.

                Mike Loewen mloewen@...
              • Wesley Furr
                Message 7 of 20 , Aug 30, 2013
                  Fair point...but you can't perform many moderation tasks via email. One of
                  the main reasons I like Yahoo Groups is that you can get most everything via
                  email, but it has some great additional features available when you log
                  in...though not useful for all groups of course...

                  Wesley

                  Message 8 of 20 , Aug 30, 2013
                    That's how I use it, mail only for the most part unless someone posts a file I want to get. Apparently the change has not hit the group I moderate "Old VTRs" as no one has griped yet and I can do most of my management form mail on my phone.

                    Matt

                    Sent from my iPhone

                    Message 9 of 20 , Aug 30, 2013
                      They are implementing it on a person by person basis, not group by group.  So...you may see it fine, but several of your members are or will probably see the "new and improved" version soon.  One of the big gripes I've heard is the inability to do management via smartphones...  I guess it is possible the new look will be ok in the end, but sounds like it is in the alpha stages of testing...bugs galore.

                      Again...I'm just repeating what I've heard and read...I haven't had to deal with it personally yet...

                      Wesley

                      Message 10 of 20 , Aug 30, 2013
                        >> Use it as a mailing list like a civilized person!

                        I do that 99% of the time. Today I had to log in to the web group for spammer-banning purposes. Other times I log in to de-moderate new members, etc.