Re: [midatlanticretro] Whoa, Yahoo changed things...

  • Martin A Flynn
    Message 1 of 20 , Aug 30, 2013
      On 8/30/2013 3:44 PM, Evan Koblentz wrote:
      >>> So MARCH now does basket weaving as well?
      > I don't see a way to edit that image. But I did not look so hard; kind of busy here today. It goes back to our logo when you log in.
      Mouse over it - toward the right you will get a pop-up asking of you
      want to change the cover photo
    • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
      Message 2 of 20 , Aug 30, 2013
        Bryan Pope <pet4032@...> writes:

        >On 8/30/2013 3:24 PM, Evan Koblentz wrote:
        >>
        >> Yahoo massively changed the way groups appear -- for the worse, of
        >> course...

        >> But when you log in, then it looks the same as before.
        >>
        >> _
        >
        >So MARCH now does basket weaving as well?

        ROTFLMFAO!

      • Jason Howe
        Message 3 of 20 , Aug 30, 2013
          On 08/30/2013 03:58 PM, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:
          > Bryan Pope <pet4032@...> writes:
          >
          >> On 8/30/2013 3:24 PM, Evan Koblentz wrote:
          >>> Yahoo massively changed the way groups appear -- for the worse, of
          >>> course...

          >>> But when you log in, then it looks the same as before.
          >>>
          >>> _
          >> So MARCH now does basket weaving as well?
          > ROTFLMFAO!

          I mean, if done on a Jacquard loom -- it might be on topicish..

          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacquard_loom#Importance_in_computing

          --Jason
          Message 4 of 20 , Aug 30, 2013
            >> Mouse over it - toward the right you will get a pop-up asking of you want to change the cover photo

            Don't see it.
          • David Riley
            Message 5 of 20 , Aug 30, 2013
              On Aug 30, 2013, at 3:38 PM, Bryan Pope <pet4032@...> wrote:

              > On 8/30/2013 3:24 PM, Evan Koblentz wrote:
              >

              >> Yahoo massively changed the way groups appear -- for the worse, of course...

              >> But when you log in, then it looks the same as before.
              >> _
              >
              > So MARCH now does basket weaving as well?

              Well, there's an activity for the next workshop.

              - Dave
            • rahwayflynn
              Message 6 of 20 , Aug 30, 2013
                Are you the group owner?

                From: "Evan Koblentz" <evan@...>
                Sender: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
                Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2013 20:02:57
                To: MARCH Yahoo Midatlanticretro<midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com>
                Subject: Re: [midatlanticretro] Whoa, Yahoo changed things...

                Message 7 of 20 , Aug 30, 2013
                  >> Are you the group owner?

                  Yes.

                  When I'm not logged in, I don't see any pop-up. When I am logged in, I get the old interface.
                • Martin A Flynn
                  Message 8 of 20 , Aug 30, 2013
                    On 8/30/2013 4:11 PM, Evan Koblentz wrote:
                    Are you the group owner?

                    Yes.

                    When I'm not logged in, I don't see any pop-up. When I am logged in, I get the old interface.

                    This is what Yahoo gave me for the OMARC group

                  • wesleyhfurr
                    Message 9 of 20 , Aug 30, 2013
                      I've never seen anything quite as absurd as what Yahoo is trying to pull
                      off with regards to the Groups changes. In my mind, the number one
                      problem is that they have not shared ANY details...no notice, no nothing.
                      They've just left people to stumble into it and wonder what is going on.
                      It's been amusing (yet very sad) to see group by group someone pop up and
                      ask about the changes. And it's not like you can revert back or even opt
                      to change to the new look...it's all just random luck of the draw. It
                      appears that when you browse to a Groups page, it is the new look...but
                      once you log in, you see it either the new way or the old, all depending
                      on whether or not your account has been changed.

                      The other problem is that it apparently has lots of issues that haven't
                      been worked out...or thought about...or cared about. There are ways that
                      groups operate that is dependent on how Yahoo Groups operates, and
                      removing some options makes it difficult or impossible for some groups to
                      carry on as they always have. Not to mention stuff like the group photo
                      or text looking totally screwed up...and moderators like yourself left to
                      wonder how to fix it...then if you do fix it, it may then look like crap
                      to those still seeing it the old way...

                      It would sure be nice if there was a Yahoo notice somewhere with all the
                      details that I could point out...seems like once or twice a day I'm
                      sitting here typing up another note about such changes in yet another
                      group. Just Google "yahoo neo" and you'll find a ton of people
                      complaining bitterly. Though to be fair, I have now noticed all of two
                      people who like it...

                      I'm personally left wondering if I need to start looking into Google as an
                      alternative for the groups I manage. As some of you may recall, they
                      tried a disaster like this back in 2010, but enough folks complained that
                      they changed it back. Not so sure they'll relent a second time... Though
                      I guess it could be great...no way for me to know since I can't really see
                      it logged in to my groups!

                      Ugh... Perhaps I should take up basket weaving... ;-)

                      Wesley

                      > Yahoo massively changed the way groups appear -- for the worse, of
                      > course...

                      > But when you log in, then it looks the same as before.
                    • rkushnier
                      Message 10 of 20 , Aug 30, 2013

                        Love the choice across the top of either "Relaxed" or "Slim" for messages.  I'm neither relaxed nor slim! Perhaps they need a "Stressed" or "Fat" category.  :-)

                        Ron

                        Message 11 of 20 , Aug 30, 2013
                          Use it as a mailing list like a civilized person!

                          -Dave

                          Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:
                          >Yahoo massively changed the way groups appear -- for the worse, of
                          >course...

                          >But when you log in, then it looks the same as before.

                          Dave McGuire
                          New Kensington, PA
                        • Mike Loewen
                          Message 12 of 20 , Aug 30, 2013
                            On Fri, 30 Aug 2013, Dave McGuire wrote:

                            > Use it as a mailing list like a civilized person!

                            Hear, hear! The only time I use the web interface is when I need to
                            retrieve a past message or download a file.

                            Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                          • Wesley Furr
                            Message 13 of 20 , Aug 30, 2013
                              Fair point...but you can't perform many moderation tasks via email. One of
                              the main reasons I like Yahoo Groups is that you can get most everything via
                              email, but it has some great additional features available when you log
                              in...though not useful for all groups of course...

                              Wesley

                              Message 14 of 20 , Aug 30, 2013
                                That's how I use it, mail only for the most part unless someone posts a file I want to get. Apparently the change has not hit the group I moderate "Old VTRs" as no one has griped yet and I can do most of my management form mail on my phone.

                                Matt

                                Sent from my iPhone

                                Message 15 of 20 , Aug 30, 2013
                                  They are implementing it on a person by person basis, not group by group.  So...you may see it fine, but several of your members are or will probably see the "new and improved" version soon.  One of the big gripes I've heard is the inability to do management via smartphones...  I guess it is possible the new look will be ok in the end, but sounds like it is in the alpha stages of testing...bugs galore.

                                  Again...I'm just repeating what I've heard and read...I haven't had to deal with it personally yet...

                                  Wesley

                                  Message 16 of 20 , Aug 30, 2013
                                    >> Use it as a mailing list like a civilized person!

                                    I do that 99% of the time. Today I had to log in to the web group for spammer-banning purposes. Other times I log in to de-moderate new members, etc.