Re: [midatlanticretro] Whoa, Yahoo changed things...

  • Dave
    Message 1 of 20 , Aug 30 12:47 PM
      On 30/08/2013 20:24, Evan Koblentz wrote:
      > Yahoo massively changed the way groups appear -- for the worse, of course...

      > But when you log in, then it looks the same as before.

      This time rather than hit the system on a group-by-group basis its been
      rolled out on a user-by-user basis. If you want to see the new views and
      have not yet been migrated sign up for a new Yahoo account. All new
      accounts have the "neo" interface.

      If you see posts with raw HTML such as   or <p> they were probably
      created with the NEO interface.

      Dave
      G4UGM
    • Martin A Flynn
      Message 2 of 20 , Aug 30 12:48 PM
        On 8/30/2013 3:44 PM, Evan Koblentz wrote:
        >>> So MARCH now does basket weaving as well?
        > I don't see a way to edit that image. But I did not look so hard; kind of busy here today. It goes back to our logo when you log in.
        Mouse over it - toward the right you will get a pop-up asking of you
        want to change the cover photo
      • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
        Message 3 of 20 , Aug 30 12:58 PM
          Bryan Pope <pet4032@...> writes:

          >On 8/30/2013 3:24 PM, Evan Koblentz wrote:
          >>
          >> Yahoo massively changed the way groups appear -- for the worse, of
          >> course...

          >> But when you log in, then it looks the same as before.
          >>
          >> _
          >
          >So MARCH now does basket weaving as well?

          ROTFLMFAO!

        • Jason Howe
          Message 4 of 20 , Aug 30 1:02 PM
            On 08/30/2013 03:58 PM, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:
            > Bryan Pope <pet4032@...> writes:
            >
            >> On 8/30/2013 3:24 PM, Evan Koblentz wrote:
            >>> Yahoo massively changed the way groups appear -- for the worse, of
            >>> course...

            >>> But when you log in, then it looks the same as before.
            >>>
            >>> _
            >> So MARCH now does basket weaving as well?
            > ROTFLMFAO!

            I mean, if done on a Jacquard loom -- it might be on topicish..

            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacquard_loom#Importance_in_computing

            --Jason
            Message 5 of 20 , Aug 30 1:02 PM
              >> Mouse over it - toward the right you will get a pop-up asking of you want to change the cover photo

              Don't see it.
            • David Riley
              Message 6 of 20 , Aug 30 1:07 PM
                On Aug 30, 2013, at 3:38 PM, Bryan Pope <pet4032@...> wrote:

                > On 8/30/2013 3:24 PM, Evan Koblentz wrote:
                >

                >> Yahoo massively changed the way groups appear -- for the worse, of course...

                >> But when you log in, then it looks the same as before.
                >> _
                >
                > So MARCH now does basket weaving as well?

                Well, there's an activity for the next workshop.

                - Dave
              • rahwayflynn
                Message 7 of 20 , Aug 30 1:08 PM
                  Are you the group owner?

                  From: "Evan Koblentz" <evan@...>
                  Sender: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
                  Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2013 20:02:57
                  To: MARCH Yahoo Midatlanticretro<midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com>
                  Subject: Re: [midatlanticretro] Whoa, Yahoo changed things...

                  Message 8 of 20 , Aug 30 1:11 PM
                    >> Are you the group owner?

                    Yes.

                    When I'm not logged in, I don't see any pop-up. When I am logged in, I get the old interface.
                  • Martin A Flynn
                    Message 9 of 20 , Aug 30 1:37 PM
                      On 8/30/2013 4:11 PM, Evan Koblentz wrote:
                      Are you the group owner?

                      Yes.

                      When I'm not logged in, I don't see any pop-up. When I am logged in, I get the old interface.

                      This is what Yahoo gave me for the OMARC group

                    • wesleyhfurr
                      Message 10 of 20 , Aug 30 2:11 PM
                        I've never seen anything quite as absurd as what Yahoo is trying to pull
                        off with regards to the Groups changes. In my mind, the number one
                        problem is that they have not shared ANY details...no notice, no nothing.
                        They've just left people to stumble into it and wonder what is going on.
                        It's been amusing (yet very sad) to see group by group someone pop up and
                        ask about the changes. And it's not like you can revert back or even opt
                        to change to the new look...it's all just random luck of the draw. It
                        appears that when you browse to a Groups page, it is the new look...but
                        once you log in, you see it either the new way or the old, all depending
                        on whether or not your account has been changed.

                        The other problem is that it apparently has lots of issues that haven't
                        been worked out...or thought about...or cared about. There are ways that
                        groups operate that is dependent on how Yahoo Groups operates, and
                        removing some options makes it difficult or impossible for some groups to
                        carry on as they always have. Not to mention stuff like the group photo
                        or text looking totally screwed up...and moderators like yourself left to
                        wonder how to fix it...then if you do fix it, it may then look like crap
                        to those still seeing it the old way...

                        It would sure be nice if there was a Yahoo notice somewhere with all the
                        details that I could point out...seems like once or twice a day I'm
                        sitting here typing up another note about such changes in yet another
                        group. Just Google "yahoo neo" and you'll find a ton of people
                        complaining bitterly. Though to be fair, I have now noticed all of two
                        people who like it...

                        I'm personally left wondering if I need to start looking into Google as an
                        alternative for the groups I manage. As some of you may recall, they
                        tried a disaster like this back in 2010, but enough folks complained that
                        they changed it back. Not so sure they'll relent a second time... Though
                        I guess it could be great...no way for me to know since I can't really see
                        it logged in to my groups!

                        Ugh... Perhaps I should take up basket weaving... ;-)

                        Wesley

                        > Yahoo massively changed the way groups appear -- for the worse, of
                        > course...

                        > But when you log in, then it looks the same as before.
                      • rkushnier
                        Message 11 of 20 , Aug 30 3:27 PM

                          Love the choice across the top of either "Relaxed" or "Slim" for messages.  I'm neither relaxed nor slim! Perhaps they need a "Stressed" or "Fat" category.  :-)

                          Ron

                          Message 12 of 20 , Aug 30 3:28 PM
                            Use it as a mailing list like a civilized person!

                            -Dave

                            Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:
                            >Yahoo massively changed the way groups appear -- for the worse, of
                            >course...

                            >But when you log in, then it looks the same as before.

                            Dave McGuire
                            New Kensington, PA
                          • Mike Loewen
                            Message 13 of 20 , Aug 30 3:42 PM
                              On Fri, 30 Aug 2013, Dave McGuire wrote:

                              > Use it as a mailing list like a civilized person!

                              Hear, hear! The only time I use the web interface is when I need to
                              retrieve a past message or download a file.

                              Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                            • Wesley Furr
                              Message 14 of 20 , Aug 30 4:49 PM
                                Fair point...but you can't perform many moderation tasks via email. One of
                                the main reasons I like Yahoo Groups is that you can get most everything via
                                email, but it has some great additional features available when you log
                                in...though not useful for all groups of course...

                                Wesley

                                Message 15 of 20 , Aug 30 4:50 PM
                                  That's how I use it, mail only for the most part unless someone posts a file I want to get. Apparently the change has not hit the group I moderate "Old VTRs" as no one has griped yet and I can do most of my management form mail on my phone.

                                  Matt

                                  Sent from my iPhone

                                  Message 16 of 20 , Aug 30 4:57 PM
                                    They are implementing it on a person by person basis, not group by group.  So...you may see it fine, but several of your members are or will probably see the "new and improved" version soon.  One of the big gripes I've heard is the inability to do management via smartphones...  I guess it is possible the new look will be ok in the end, but sounds like it is in the alpha stages of testing...bugs galore.

                                    Again...I'm just repeating what I've heard and read...I haven't had to deal with it personally yet...

                                    Wesley

                                    Message 17 of 20 , Aug 30 5:33 PM
                                      >> Use it as a mailing list like a civilized person!

                                      I do that 99% of the time. Today I had to log in to the web group for spammer-banning purposes. Other times I log in to de-moderate new members, etc.