Halloween update

    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 30, 2013
      I came up with a sketch of the Asteroids pyramid ("MARCH into space")
      exhibit for InfoAge's Halloween tour.

      http://snarc.net/halloween.jpg

      It's going to be around 20 feet on each bottom edge. We will make the
      frame out of 1" PVC. I went to Home Depot to look around, and found that
      10-ft. sections of 1" PVC are strong (they don't sag more than an inch
      or two when you hold them in the middle) and, best of all, they only
      cost $3.24 each.

      There will be several cross-members for structural support, the whole
      thing will be covered with black tarps, and it'll be weighted down with
      cinder blocks over each corner of the frame so it does not blow away. :)

      Rather than going from outside directly into our asteroid field, people
      will wind their way inside via a dark maze of plywood. InfoAge already
      has that part pretty much ready to go. This way, the experience will
      gradually fade into darkness, until you're inside the pitch-black
      chamber ... with the videogame Asteroids! projected all around you.

      You'll follow LED rope lights toward the door, through a small tunnel
      (where you'll see a cool-looking sign: "Visit www.midatlanticretro.org
      to learn about your MARCH into space,") and then out to the next tour
      station.

      The person running the event for InfoAge approved the plan and approved
      up to $200 to build it.

      Big thank-you to Mark "OS/2 Man" D. for offering to let us borrow his
      LED portable projector. It's only 3 lbs., and there aren't any worries
      about producing too much heat or busting an expensive bulb.

      We'll have someone in MARCH (Dan R.?) make a looping video of Asteroids,
      using the 2600 version (because the solid-color asteroids will look
      better than the hollow arcade cabinet version.)

      We'll connect the projector to a small PC (InfoAge has a million of
      them). This way, all we have to do is leave instructions for someone to
      plug in the rope lights, boot the PC, and open the video file. Done!

      After the Halloween event is done, InfoAge will have a bunch of PVC to
      use however it wishes.

      I will start gathering supplies and building this, on-site at InfoAge,
      during the next couple of weeks.

      It may not be "scary" in the traditional Halloween sense, but it's going
      to be really frigging cool!!
    • Jeffrey Brace
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 31, 2013
        >After the Halloween event is done, InfoAge will have a bunch of PVC to
        >use however it wishes.

        Will you be using PVC pipe for Maker Faire?

        Jeff Brace