Re: [midatlanticretro] uVax Diag Monitor tape?

    Message 1 of 24 , Aug 30, 2013
      On 08/29/2013 11:39 AM, Evan Koblentz wrote:
      > DECheads--
      >
      > Matthew W. wants to make a bottable 5.25 for the museum's 11/44. He
      > added: "However, I need a copy of the MicroVAX Diagnostics Monitor (MDM)
      > tape to reformat the drive."
      >
      > Can anyone help with this?

      As I've told Matt, I have many copies of this, but I need some time to
      find them. I have hundreds of TK50s here and have to go through the
      boxes. If you guys can hang tight on it for a bit I will send one.

      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
      New Kensington, PA
    • David Comley
      Message 2 of 24 , Aug 30, 2013
        Is the drive of the type that can be formatted in a MicroVAX 2000 ? If so I can help. I have a vague recollection that they have a formatting routine built-in to the console ROM that supports RD51s and other MFM drives of that ilk.

        Dave

        Message 3 of 24 , Aug 30, 2013
          I must've just skimmed Evan's earlier message...I would like to know what
          type of 5.25" drive Matt is planning on getting running on a PDP-11/44. The
          only way to do it is with an SMD controller (easy) and a 5.25" SMD drive
          (very rare), or a SCSI drive (easy) and a Unibus SCSI host adapter (rare and
          very expensive).

          Matt, what configuration are you trying to bring up? It's likely that I
          can save you some time and tears.

          -Dave

          --
          Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
          New Kensington, PA
          Message 4 of 24 , Aug 30, 2013
            David Comley <david_comley@...> writes:

            >Is the drive of the type that can be formatted in a MicroVAX 2000 ? If so I=
            > can help. I have a vague recollection that they have a formatting routine =
            >built-in to the console ROM that supports RD51s and other MFM drives of tha=
            >t ilk.

            Only if it's an MFM drive (RD54 -- Maxtor 2190 or RD53 -- Micropolis ???).
            THe command is >>> TEST 70

            Message 5 of 24 , Aug 30, 2013
              On 08/30/2013 06:57 PM, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:
              >> Is the drive of the type that can be formatted in a MicroVAX 2000 ? If so I=
              >> can help. I have a vague recollection that they have a formatting routine =
              >> built-in to the console ROM that supports RD51s and other MFM drives of tha=
              >> t ilk.
              >
              > Only if it's an MFM drive (RD54 -- Maxtor 2190 or RD53 -- Micropolis ???).
              > THe command is >>> TEST 70

              The RD53 is a Micropolis 1325. Avoid these like the plague.
              RD52 = Quantum Q540
              RD51 = Seagate ST-412
              RD50 = Seagate ST-506

              Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
              Message 6 of 24 , Aug 30, 2013
                On 08/30/2013 06:59 PM, Dave McGuire wrote:
                > On 08/30/2013 06:57 PM, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:
                >>> Is the drive of the type that can be formatted in a MicroVAX 2000 ? If so I=
                >>> can help. I have a vague recollection that they have a formatting routine =
                >>> built-in to the console ROM that supports RD51s and other MFM drives of tha=
                >>> t ilk.
                >>
                >> Only if it's an MFM drive (RD54 -- Maxtor 2190 or RD53 -- Micropolis ???).
                >> THe command is >>> TEST 70
                >
                > The RD53 is a Micropolis 1325. Avoid these like the plague.
                > RD52 = Quantum Q540
                > RD51 = Seagate ST-412
                > RD50 = Seagate ST-506

                I should probably have added the half-height ones as well:

                RD32 = Seagate ST-251 (ST-251-1 works, 28ms vs. 40ms, noticeably faster!)
                RD31 = Seagate ST-225

                Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                New Kensington, PA
              • Michael Thompson
                Message 7 of 24 , Aug 30, 2013

                  Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:36 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

                  "Dave McGuire" purringdave

                  I must've just skimmed Evan's earlier message...I would like to know what
                  type of 5.25" drive Matt is planning on getting running on a PDP-11/44. The
                  only way to do it is with an SMD controller (easy) and a 5.25" SMD drive
                  (very rare), or a SCSI drive (easy) and a Unibus SCSI host adapter (rare and
                  very expensive).

                  Matt, what configuration are you trying to bring up? It's likely that I
                  can save you some time and tears.

                  -Dave

                  There are lots of 5 1/4" RA drives that should work fine with a UDA50 Unibus controller.
                  Message 8 of 24 , Aug 30, 2013
                    On 08/30/2013 08:48 PM, Michael Thompson wrote:
                    > I must've just skimmed Evan's earlier message...I would like to know
                    > what
                    > type of 5.25" drive Matt is planning on getting running on a
                    > PDP-11/44. The
                    > only way to do it is with an SMD controller (easy) and a 5.25" SMD drive
                    > (very rare), or a SCSI drive (easy) and a Unibus SCSI host adapter
                    > (rare and
                    > very expensive).
                    >
                    > Matt, what configuration are you trying to bring up? It's likely that I
                    > can save you some time and tears.
                    >
                    > There are lots of 5 1/4" RA drives that should work fine with a UDA50
                    > Unibus controller.

                    Hmm yes, there are those! =) I'm a bit off my game today.

                    Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                    New Kensington, PA
                  • David Riley
                    Message 9 of 24 , Aug 30, 2013
                      On Aug 30, 2013, at 20:48, Michael Thompson <michael.99.thompson@...> wrote:

                      Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:36 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

                      "Dave McGuire" purringdave

                      I must've just skimmed Evan's earlier message...I would like to know what
                      type of 5.25" drive Matt is planning on getting running on a PDP-11/44. The
                      only way to do it is with an SMD controller (easy) and a 5.25" SMD drive
                      (very rare), or a SCSI drive (easy) and a Unibus SCSI host adapter (rare and
                      very expensive).

                      Matt, what configuration are you trying to bring up? It's likely that I
                      can save you some time and tears.

                      -Dave

                      There are lots of 5 1/4" RA drives that should work fine with a UDA50 Unibus controller.

                      Indeed, I know Matt pointed a few out to me. The 5.25" SDI drives are actually even relatively inexpensive compared to their larger brethren (probably because more of them are still alive).

                      - Dave
                    • tedheadster
                      Message 10 of 24 , Aug 31, 2013
                        I would like to reformat at 5.25" RA70 disk that would hook up to a UDA50 nicely.

                        - Matthew

                        Message 11 of 24 , Aug 31, 2013
                          On 08/31/2013 08:25 AM, tedheadster wrote:
                          > I would like to reformat at 5.25" RA70 disk that would hook up to a UDA50 nicely.

                          Oh ok, sounds good. So you have a KDA50 in the MicroVAX and a UDA50 in the
                          PDP-11/44?

                          Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                          New Kensington, PA
                        • tedheadster
                          Message 12 of 24 , Aug 31, 2013
                            Indeed, I have both. A few UDA50's actually.

                            Message 13 of 24 , Aug 31, 2013
                              On 08/31/2013 11:18 AM, tedheadster wrote:
                              > Indeed, I have both. A few UDA50's actually.

                              Excellent.

                              Hmm, a few? Let me know if you'd like to part with one at some point; I'd
                              like to put one on the 11/750.

                              Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                              New Kensington, PA
                            • tedheadster

                                Message 15 of 24 , Oct 8, 2013
                                  You sent that to the whole list...

                                  ...Brian S., can you help?

                                  Message 16 of 24 , Oct 8, 2013
                                    tedheadster <whiteheadm@...> writes:

                                    >So nothing really ever came of this thread. Could you ask Brian S
                                    >privately?
                                    >
                                    >- Matthew

                                    If I can find a TK50 tape I'm willing to sacrifice, I'll put the uVAX-II
                                    diags on it for you. I've been busy and ill (since a medical procedure)
                                    and I forgot about your request in all that.

                                    I've made a note to go looking for a TK50 tape tomorrow.

                                    Message 17 of 24 , Oct 8, 2013
                                      I have many (MANY!) if you need some.

                                      I also have several copies of the requested diag tape, but haven't yet been able to make the time to wade through hundreds of TK50s to fish one out. :-/

                                      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                                      New Kensington, PA

                                      On Oct 8, 2013, at 8:18 PM, "Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-" <VAXman@...> wrote:

                                      > tedheadster <whiteheadm@...> writes:
                                      >
                                      >> So nothing really ever came of this thread. Could you ask Brian S
                                      >> privately?
                                      >>
                                      >> - Matthew
                                      >
                                      > If I can find a TK50 tape I'm willing to sacrifice, I'll put the uVAX-II
                                      > diags on it for you. I've been busy and ill (since a medical procedure)
                                      > and I forgot about your request in all that.
                                      >
                                      > I've made a note to go looking for a TK50 tape tomorrow.
                                      > --
                                      > VAXman- A Bored Certified VMS Kernel Mode Hacker VAXman(at)TMESIS(dot)ORG
                                      >
                                      > Well I speak to machines with the voice of humanity.

                                    • David Riley
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Oct 8, 2013
                                        On Aug 30, 2013, at 6:36 PM, Dave McGuire <mcguire@...> wrote:

                                        > I must've just skimmed Evan's earlier message...I would like to know what
                                        > type of 5.25" drive Matt is planning on getting running on a PDP-11/44. The
                                        > only way to do it is with an SMD controller (easy) and a 5.25" SMD drive
                                        > (very rare), or a SCSI drive (easy) and a Unibus SCSI host adapter (rare and
                                        > very expensive).
                                        >
                                        > Matt, what configuration are you trying to bring up? It's likely that I
                                        > can save you some time and tears.

                                        Matt and I brought up the 11/44 earlier using his Unibus SCSI adaptor,
                                        so I assume it's the latter.

                                        - Dave
                                      • tedheadster
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Oct 9, 2013
                                          I intend to reformat an RA70 disk and use it with a UDA50 on the PDP-11/44.

                                          - Matthew W

                                        • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Oct 9, 2013
                                            Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:

                                            > I have many (MANY!) if you need some.
                                            >
                                            > I also have several copies of the requested diag tape, but haven't yet be=
                                            >en able to make the time to wade through hundreds of TK50s to fish one out.=
                                            > :-/

                                            That's OK. I found one I was willing to cannibalize last evening. I'll be
                                            wrting it today.

                                            Matthew, send me your postal address.

                                            Message 21 of 24 , Oct 9, 2013
                                              On 10/09/2013 12:43 AM, David Riley wrote:
                                              > On Aug 30, 2013, at 6:36 PM, Dave McGuire <mcguire@...> wrote:
                                              >

                                              >> I must've just skimmed Evan's earlier message...I would like to know what
                                              >> type of 5.25" drive Matt is planning on getting running on a PDP-11/44. The
                                              >> only way to do it is with an SMD controller (easy) and a 5.25" SMD drive
                                              >> (very rare), or a SCSI drive (easy) and a Unibus SCSI host adapter (rare and
                                              >> very expensive).
                                              >>
                                              >> Matt, what configuration are you trying to bring up? It's likely that I
                                              >> can save you some time and tears.
                                              >
                                              > Matt and I brought up the 11/44 earlier using his Unibus SCSI adaptor,
                                              > so I assume it's the latter.

                                              Wow, that was an old message. Did this just shake loose?

                                              Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                                              New Kensington, PA
                                            • Dennis Boone
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Oct 9, 2013
                                                >> I must've just skimmed Evan's earlier message...I would like to know what
                                                >> type of 5.25" drive Matt is planning on getting running on a PDP-11/44. The
                                                >> only way to do it is with an SMD controller (easy) and a 5.25" SMD drive
                                                >> (very rare), or a SCSI drive (easy) and a Unibus SCSI host adapter (rare and
                                                >> very expensive).

                                                Third way, though it may not help the individual in question: there
                                                exist Unibus ESDI controllers and drives. There's not a lot of demand,
                                                so they tend to be cheaper than SCSI stuff, at least last I looked.

                                                De
                                                Message 23 of 24 , Oct 9, 2013
                                                  On 10/09/2013 06:38 PM, Dennis Boone wrote:
                                                  >>> I must've just skimmed Evan's earlier message...I would like to know what
                                                  >>> type of 5.25" drive Matt is planning on getting running on a PDP-11/44. The
                                                  >>> only way to do it is with an SMD controller (easy) and a 5.25" SMD drive
                                                  >>> (very rare), or a SCSI drive (easy) and a Unibus SCSI host adapter (rare and
                                                  >>> very expensive).
                                                  >
                                                  > Third way, though it may not help the individual in question: there
                                                  > exist Unibus ESDI controllers and drives. There's not a lot of demand,
                                                  > so they tend to be cheaper than SCSI stuff, at least last I looked.

                                                  I'd love to find one or two of those. I have bunches of Qbus ESDI
                                                  controllers, but no Unibus. I don't think I've ever even seen one in person. :-(

                                                  Dave McGuire, AK4HZ