InfoAge Halloween + MARCH

    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 29, 2013
      InfoAge is having its Halloween event again this year. I don't have the exact dates handy, but I think it's every Fri./Sat. night in October. This is InfoAge's biggest fundraiser of the year, and this year every member group is asked to build a set.

      I came up with the idea "MARCH into Space". Open your minds and imagine...

      First, people will walk through a dark maze, with the walls, ceiling, and ground covered in glow-in-the-dark space stickers (stars, planets, etc.) -- the kind you can get for children's bedrooms.

      Second, people will enter an asteroid chamber! It'll be an outdoor room (because local building/fire rules prevent us from "disorienting" people when indoors) and pitch-black inside. The room could be (for example) 10 ft. wide by 10 ft. tall by 20 ft. long. We'll have the classic videogame "Asteroids!") projected onto the walls, ceiling, and floor, which will create the illusion that you're walking * through * space. But there will be a central walkway, with railings illuminated on top and bottom by LED rope lights, so people know where to go.

      At the end, there can be some kind of cool sign, instructing people to "Lean more about your MARCH at www.midatlanticretro.org."

      Important points:
      - InfoAge will assist us with materials, costs, and construction
      - The maze will just be thrown together using spare playwood, etc., and then covered in a dark material
      - The space chamber can be made from a frame of PVC, with black tarps for walls, and weighted down at its corners by cinderblocks so it doesn't blow away; it'll also have an angled roof in case of rain/snow. This has to survive October.

      What we need from MARCHins:
      - We need to borrow a small digital projector (InfoAge has some big heavy ones, which we don't want; all of its small modern ones are spoken for already)
      - We need to hack together a method of splitting the projected image into multiple directions, perhaps using mirrors/prisms, or what...? If I build a simple projector mount for any one side, then what's the easiest way to also get that imagine onto the other sides and ceiling/floor?
      - We need a way to automate a classic Asteroids game via emulation. Otherwise, we'd need someone at the event each night, to do nothing but play the game for hours and hours without much of a break!
      - We also need to keep the game setup dead-simple, so that anyone can boot a PC, run the program, and walk away.
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 29, 2013
        >> We need to hack together a method of splitting the projected image into multiple directions, perhaps using mirrors/prisms, or what...? If I build a simple projector mount for any one side, then what's the easiest way to also get that imagine onto the other sides and ceiling/floor?

        Another idea is to make the inside walls from large sheets of mylar, so they're reflective, as with mirrors, and then somehow bounce the projected image...

        This need not be perfect, just entertaining.
      • Dan Roganti
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 29, 2013

          cool,
          Don't forget the Zombie Astronauts :)
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 29, 2013
            Talking to myself now :) but this may be the easiest idea: we put the project above the entrance door, facing the exit, and line the far/exit wall with mylar. That back/exit wall could be a 45-degree angle, thus serving as the ceiling too, and that way people walk "into" the asteroid field. Perhaps we can use other effects for the floor and side walls if splitting the beam ;) is too difficult.
          • Cory Smelosky
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 29, 2013
              On Thu, 29 Aug 2013, Evan Koblentz wrote:

              I've now been given an idea for MARCH's adaptation of A Christmas Carol.
              The Ghost of VAXen/VAXmas past!

              All ghosts use VAXen.

              --
              Cory Smelosky
              http://gewt.net Personal stuff
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 29, 2013
                "Cory Smelosky" <b4@...> writes:

                >On Thu, 29 Aug 2013, Evan Koblentz wrote:
                >
                >I've now been given an idea for MARCH's adaptation of A Christmas Carol.
                >The Ghost of VAXen/VAXmas past!
                >
                >All ghosts use VAXen.

                Hey, I'm spirited but I'm far from a ghost! ;)

              • Cory Smelosky
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 29, 2013
                  On Thu, 29 Aug 2013, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:

                  > "Cory Smelosky" <b4@...> writes:
                  >
                  >> On Thu, 29 Aug 2013, Evan Koblentz wrote:
                  >>
                  >> I've now been given an idea for MARCH's adaptation of A Christmas Carol.
                  >> The Ghost of VAXen/VAXmas past!
                  >>
                  >> All ghosts use VAXen.
                  >
                  > Hey, I'm spirited but I'm far from a ghost! ;)

                  ;)